Post Match Leicester 2 Blackpool 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. I thought you'd gone for good and I was beginning to warm to your role. Now that you're back, I'll happily leave it to you.
:icon_wink

Yes it is an enjoyable role.

Sort of like a down market version of the Cassandra column in the Daily Mirror of yesteryear.

How does it not?! Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-poppy nor a white poppy wearer, but of course it glorifies British soldiers.

It's not a symbol of the glorification of war or of British soldiers. The poppy is a recognition of human sacrifice if anything. A gesture that signifies the wearer is remembering those that have given their lives.

You sir, are totally wrong and if I wanted to risk an infraction by calling you a ****ing moron it would probably be worth it.

of course it glorifies British soldiers.

Wow

Seriously, wow

Amazes me just how many people have no understanding whatsoever of what the poppy signifies

Truly incredible ignorance of the highest order

It's not a symbol of the glorification of war or of British soldiers. The poppy is a recognition of human sacrifice if anything. A gesture that signifies the wearer is remembering those that have given their lives.

You sir, are totally wrong and if I wanted to risk an infraction by calling you a ****ing moron it would probably be worth it.

This.

Wow

Seriously, wow

Amazes me just how many people have no understanding whatsoever of what the poppy signifies

and this.

Wow

Seriously, wow

The ignaramus' are out in force at the minute

It's a recognition of british human sacrifice, if anything. And surely you can see that it glorifies that human sacrifice. All that "our boys" nonsense that we're force fed about modern soldiers. I wear a poppy with pride to recognise those that died for or cause in the world wars, but to suggest it doesn't come parcelled with glorification is very naive.

I think the bit that you outraged lot fail to see is that to the average white British person, the poppy makes us thinks of grandad and spitfires. To outsiders out also includes the modern british military endeavours, which are a world a part in terms of righteousness. As I said before, if the woman in the earlier "what's this country coming to"esque post had suffered losses sure to or military involvement in the middle east then you could understand why she might want to avoid poppy wearers.

Like I said, I was playing devil's advocate, but I think it's worth engaging with the points made.

It's a recognition of british human sacrifice, if anything.

You may want to read this article.

It's only one article but it's a start if you want to improve your knowledge and not come across in the way that you are.

HTH HAND

Ok, the article taught me that the poppy has US origins, which I didn't know, but it still suggests that poppies are a largely British thing that has become popularised in some other countries.

That doesn't negate my assertion that it could be seen a glorification of war, or, at least, soldiers. If someone is a victim, either directly or indirectly, of said soldiers, then it would be understandable for someone to shun that symbol.

Last edited:
I agree with Chris that the poppy means different things to different people, and it's definitely not seen as positively outside the UK (but that's obvious given the nature of it), but if people read things into it that aren't there from the beginning, that's their problem, isn't it?

I think the problem is that some nationalists abuse it and use this "our boys" rhetoric that has been mentioned. So yes, if this woman has had such an experience I can understand why she would think the poppy equals support for the UK's foreign policy - but that's her fault because she hasn't done her homework.

Last edited:
I agree with Chris that the poppy means different things to different people, and it's definitively not seen as positively outside the UK (but that's obvious given the nature of it), but if people read things into it that aren't there from the beginning, that's their problem, isn't it?

I think the problem is that some nationalists abuse it and use this "our boys" rhetoric that has been mentioned. So yes, if this woman has had such an experience I can understand why she would think the poppy equals support for the UK's foreign policy - but that's her fault because she hasn't done her homework.

You're not wrong. As I made out in my original post on the subject, I recognised that she was being... I dunno... I said officious at the time but that's incorrect.

You're not wrong. As I made out in my original post on the subject, I recognised that she was being... I dunno... I said officious at the time but that's incorrect.
Personally, as a staunch anti-nationalist, I wouldn't wear the poppy even if I was British because of what's attached to it/how some people interpret it (as the woman in the bank did). Obviously, I absolutely don't think less of anyone wearing it because I'm sure a huge majority wear them for the right reasons, which is to remember the personal sacrifice and not whipping up war.

But then I would never use the flag of any nation in any situation either - possibly with the exception of a sporting event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669