Post Match Leicester 2 Burnley 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won? Feck me. The first half was so bad I switched it off and went bed. Still, I won't be getting carried away. The real test is whether we can start to put some good results together consistantly which has been a problem for us pretty much since Pearson left the first time..

By half time I was struggling to tell which one of Vardy and Nugent was purchased from a non-league club, both had terrible touch and awful positioning , a goal each doesn't change that, everyone gets lucky sometimes and Nugent was definitely due a lucky goal since he's only scored 1 goal in the last 16 appearances.

Happy to get the points in the end but the squad is in a mess, basic pass and move seems alien to most of the players and they hardly challenge for the second ball.

By half time I was struggling to tell which one of Vardy and Nugent was purchased from a non-league club, both had terrible touch and awful positioning , a goal each doesn't change that, everyone gets lucky sometimes and Nugent was definitely due a lucky goal since he's only scored 1 goal in the last 16 appearances.

Happy to get the points in the end but the squad is in a mess, basic pass and move seems alien to most of the players and they hardly challenge for the second ball.

Vardy's control of the ball is worse than Trevor Benjamin's. And that is a major statement. The times the ball gets played to him and bounces 10 yards away. Good job he's got some pace to cover some of them up but he seriously needs to be able to control a ball if he's going to have any chance at this level.

Nugent (like several others) just looks like a shadow of his former self.

We're one of 6 teams to have won all 3 home games. One of about 10/11 to have not won away yet.

Clearly short of confidence (movement dreadful as was passing) once the goals went in thanks to a massive strike of luck. It improved substantially hence some piss taking during injury time led by Knockaert.

Did anyone notice the excellent tactician work by Pearson at Ht? We shaped up in a Christmas tree/4-2-3-1 which meant Burnley no longer had the out ball to Stock. This put Knockaert dead centre and gave Burnley's defence more of an issue.

Hardly entertaining mind. 2 pts off the playoffs, not that bad.

Last edited:
Wow, just wow. It's like the ****ing Coventry forum on here despite a win.

People react to what they see on the pitch

Last night they saw a steaming pile of complete and utter shite

People react to what they see on the pitch

Last night they saw a steaming pile of complete and utter shite

I didn't, which is odd as I was there. First half was poor but the second half was much better. It's interesting that some of the same people moaning about last night's performance are the same people who moaned when we played well against Charlton and Blackburn but lost. "It's all about the result," they said. Not last night apparently.

If, as a fan, someone is so wrapped up in their doom that they can't enjoy a win, which is all that counts, then I don't see why you'd bother paying money to go.

I didn't, which is odd as I was there.

Well I did, it was abject

It's interesting that some of the same people moaning about last night's performance are the same people who moaned when we played well against Charlton and Blackburn but lost. "It's all about the result," they said. Not last night apparently.

Prettty much exactly what I said earlier in this thread. Doesn't mean you can't then comment on how truly dreadful we were - particularly so in the first half

If, as a fan, someone is so wrapped up in their doom that they can't enjoy a win, which is all that counts, then I don't see why you'd bother paying money to go.

Nobody is wrapped up in their doom. What a ridiculous thing to say. Amongst those very few fans in the kop that bothered to turn up last night all I saw was stunned bewilderment during the first half at what they were seeing. It had nothing to do with going to a game burdened with an overwhelming cloud of misery. They simply couldn't believe how shite we were.

Of course the second half was better - how could it not be ?

Feel free to wrap your scarf around your head and go "LA LA LA" very loudly, just because we won.

I pay my money to go and support my team - when what I see is puerile nonsense being served up in the name of football, then I will simply voice an opinion. It's a light hearted football forum, so that's what we do

Last edited:
It is all about the result. We won, and I'm happy about that. Hopefully we can kick on and mount a challenge for a top six position. But that first half was reminiscent of the Millwall game last season and had it continued for the ninety I suspect we'd be talking about Pearson's sacking later today. As it is he has bought himself a bit of time, but nobody here should pretend, based on the history of the owners, that he isn't walking a tightrope.

The second half was still poor, by the way. We had a ten minute burst of attacking football which yielded two goals, but our defence was still all over the place. After we took the lead we sat back and looked a threat on the counter until we reached the eighteen box and experienced our customary loss of ideas. It was better than the first half only because the first half could hardly have been worse. Misplaced passes, poor ball control, no movement and no urgency. Terrible stuff. But we won, so there.

Ok, we haven't won all of the games and we haven't played that well in the last two, but we have only played 6 league games, the seasons hardly started, and some people on here are already calling for Pearsons head on a spike. The most succesful clubs are those with stability in terms of managers and players, the Milan Mandaric model of running a football club doesn't work in the long term, I just hope the owners realise this and have learnt from the Sousa and Erikson shambles and stick by the manager. Some on here simply don't like Pearson we could have won every game 6:0 and they still wouldn't be happy, I agree with Leecov its all about the result, we got three points not playing well, thats real positive.

Prettty much exactly what I said earlier in this thread. Doesn't mean you can't then comment on how truly dreadful we were - particularly so in the first half

I think the frustration of those of us that are more positive on the situation is that the overwhelming sentiment on this forum seems to be negative whether we play well and lose (Charlton, Blackburn) or play badly and win (Burnley). I'm absolutely not a glass-half-full person, but I have seen enough in the majority of games (not so much last night) to indicate that we have every chance of competing at the top end of the table, which is in line with my expectations (I think top 6 is an adequate return for the season). You could easily argue that we have been the better side in all league games thus far.

This isn't really aimed at you homer, as I think you generally tell it as you see it, but the default stance of negativity from many grates with me. Absolutely everyone is entitled to their opinion and absolutely I have every chance of being wrong in my ascertion that Pearson is the right man for the job, but phrases like "dead man walking" just seem a bit disingenuous after a third straight home league win on the bounce (yes, I'm aware of the three straight away losses).

I'm not asking people to be blinkered or overlook weaknesses, I just think that some could take a slightly longer term view, not be so keen to criticise and generally show a bit more support than seems to be the case right now.

I think the frustration of those of us that are more positive on the situation is that the overwhelming sentiment on this forum seems to be negative whether we play well and lose (Charlton, Blackburn) or play badly and win (Burnley). I'm absolutely not a glass-half-full person, but I have seen enough in the majority of games (not so much last night) to indicate that we have every chance of competing at the top end of the table, which is in line with my expectations (I think top 6 is an adequate return for the season). You could easily argue that we have been the better side in all league games thus far.

This isn't really aimed at you homer, as I think you generally tell it as you see it, but the default stance of negativity from many grates with me. Absolutely everyone is entitled to their opinion and absolutely I have every chance of being wrong in my ascertion that Pearson is the right man for the job, but phrases like "dead man walking" just seem a bit disingenuous after a third straight home league win on the bounce (yes, I'm aware of the three straight away losses).

I'm not asking people to be blinkered or overlook weaknesses, I just think that some could take a slightly longer term view, not be so keen to criticise and generally show a bit more support than seems to be the case right now.

As nice as it is to have won three home games in a row, I don't see how that will help Pearson to keep his job if the away form remains poor. Remember, Eriksson was sacked having won more league games than he lost last season. When people make comments like 'dead man walking' I don't think that's necessarily them saying they want Pearson gone, just that they think he will be.I think the majority would like to see him given the entire season and his position reviewed based in his performance then.

But the likely reality of the situation is that that won't happen. All the evidence we have suggests that our owners will sack the manager if we aren't challenging for promotion early on. It isn't the fans who need to take a long-term view here. We could all gather on this forum after every defeat and tell each other that we all think Nigel Pearson should be given three years minimum and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. If the owners want him gone, he'll be gone.

Are you also aware that we lost to Burton at home in the league cup?

I'm definitely in the 'sacking another manager mid season is stupid' camp but I'm also unimpressed so far this season with the way the squad is handled and the technical and tactical ability of some of the players.

Some real miserable Bastards on here. I suggest a good deal of you should actually feck off and support a better team, you are all deluded if you can get so miserable after a win, we are Leicester City for crying out loud, expect some shit performances and awful individual displays, it's the level at which we find ourselves.

If you cannot possibly accept that you support an average Championship football team then seriously, do yourself and eveyone else a favour and feck off.

On a side note I think Pearson is 2 losses away from the chop, Saturday is a must win for him as I hold no hope of a result in the following game.

Last edited:
Some real miserable Bastards on here. I suggest a good deal of you should actually feck off and support a better team, you are all deluded if you can get so miserable after a win, we are Leicester City for crying out loud, expect some shit performances and awful individual displays, it's the level at which we find ourselves.

If you cannot possibly accept that you support an average Championship football team then seriously, do yourself and eveyone else a favour and feck off.

On a side note I think Pearson is 2 losses away from the chop, Saturday is a must win for him as I hold no hope of a result in the following game.

What's wrong with sticking around and hoping that Leicester City become a better team? This last decade or so has arguably been the worst run in the history of the club. We have the resources and the potential to be better than we are now. I know this because, and I'm sure you are well aware, we have been in the past.

If I'm watching us play midtable second tier football then I will have a moan about it because it is right at the lower end of what our expectations should be. Historically we are a promotion chasing second tier/relegation battling top tier club. I'd be happy enough with either of those realities. But I am not happy with where we have been over the last ten years (with one exception, in 2009/10) because we have done nothing but underachieve.

I agree with your assessment of Pearson's job security; that he doesn't have much. Two defeats on the trot would do for him. Let's hope they don't come.

Last edited:

Honestly I take our opponents with a pinch of salt on a weekly basis now. Obviously there are easier games in this division but I don't think a trip to Middlesbrough is as daunting as you suggest. They got soundly beaten by Blackpool on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669