Post Match Leicester 2 Burnley 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly. Go and watch it again.

I’ll say what I’ve said before. I think he’s an enormous asset who has set himself a high standard For himself that he is struggling to meet at the moment.

It’s possible Maguire leaving and him having to get used to a new partner on the left side of defence, as well as a pretty inexperienced player in front of him has been a tough adjustment.

I’m quite sure he’s quality. But he continues to have a difficult season.

100% responsibility for conceding the goal was down to Evans. He inexplicably dropped five yards too deep and so the cross became dangerous. If he'd held the line like he usually does, there is no goal.

The move that led to the goal saw the ball switched from left to right. Chilwell was covering the centre (correctly), and unless his legs were ten feet long, there is little chance he had to stop the cross. Personally I don't care about stopping crosses from that position. They should be easy to defend.

Chilwell was below par in his previous two matches but he was absolutely fine in this game. It's ridiculous to criticise his performance.

If you look at his stats this season, more is expected of him contributing going forward. His pass completion is up, his forward passes are up, and his touches are up. It's unreasonable to expect him to do everything with little to no defensive cover.

I'm more surprised people think he was good going forward.

I have now lost count of the amount of times he has got into a decent position and instead of looking and playing a decent ball, he just aimlessly twats the ball straight at the 1st defender, it's so horrifically wasteful and frustrating.

He did it 3 times at Anfield, and at least twice today. It also puts us into danger

There is a reason that a huge amount of the crowd are picking out a homegrown English player for criticism, they aren't just making it up in order to vilify a type of player who usually always gets stick.

He has to improve, quickly.

Watching the highlights this morning, for Burnley's goal I don't think Chilwell has time to get closer to block the cross, don't see it as his fault at all.

A ball in from that angle should be being dealt with, since there is plenty of time to judge the flight of the ball I would like to see Schmichael come and claim it.

The ball from Barnes for our first goal was class

We should never allow an unchallenged cross the be sent into the box. Of course sometimes the defender will be beaten but allowing the cross to be lifted in unchallenged to Wood is asking for trouble.

And for what it’s worth, I thought Burnley were very good.

We should never allow an unchallenged cross the be sent into the box. Of course sometimes the defender will be beaten but allowing the cross to be lifted in unchallenged to Wood is asking for trouble.

And for what it’s worth, I thought Burnley were very good.
I agree, but where that ball came in from I don't think it was Chilwell's fault. You would expect a midfielder to close down while the full back covers down the line. Chilwell found himself having to do both, I don't think he can get closer, and playing the odds, you would prefer the ball played from where it was than get beaten wider.

A ball in from that angle and pace gives the defence and goalkeeper plenty of time to judge the flight, and see the runs of opponents, it should have been dealt with.

I agree, but where that ball came in from I don't think it was Chilwell's fault. You would expect a midfielder to close down while the full back covers down the line. Chilwell found himself having to do both, I don't think he can get closer, and playing the odds, you would prefer the ball played from where it was than get beaten wider.

A ball in from that angle and pace gives the defence and goalkeeper plenty of time to judge the flight, and see the runs of opponents, it should have been dealt with.
Agreed, it wasn’t Chilwell who was in the wrong on this occasion.

to be fair Kasper can quite reasonably expect two defenders to deal with this so him coming out may well have resulted in Kasper not getting to the ball anyway.

Chilwell is frustrating though, his crosses generally hit the first defender or are aimless.

he needs to work on this.

It's probably easier for those playing the hindsight/blame game to just list the few players who weren't culpable for the Burnley goal, though the orthodox view AFAIK for a slowish centre played from that part of the pitch is that the centre backs and the GK should be well able to deal with it.

The ball which set up the Wood VAR-disallowed "goal" was from a similar position, so maybe that's something to sort out.

true I put most of the blame for that goal on which ever CB got himself out positioned and out muscled by Wood, that ball should be cleared every time
It shouldn't come in but yes, the CBs need to do better as well.

I'd break it down this way

70% CB
10% Barnes he never got back to either cover the overlapping FB or close down the winger
10% Chilwell
10% Kasper

true I put most of the blame for that goal on which ever CB got himself out positioned and out muscled by Wood, that ball should be cleared every time

Soyuncu didn’t get off the ground, and Evans was a mile away

Both of them fecked up big time

R. Huth wouldn't have let him score. Probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566