Leicester 4 Millwall 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That really gets my blood boiling...... possession of the ball also builds confidence and frustrates the other team. Why can no one see that? I suppose because it is a European type of play

exactly who wants to play like barca when you could be playing hoofball ?:icon_roll

Hi all. First post and all that.

Overall it was a good display. There were times when we were passing the ball about and waiting patiently for openings that I thought most teams in this division would struggle to live with us. Going forward we look as strong as anybody else in this league. We still look a bit dodgy at the back though. Weale doesn't seem to have much command of his area and Bamba frightens me. Although that's probably more to do with his reputation (bomb scare) than anything I've seen.

On to individuals.

Weale - 6.5 - Doesn't look to have complete command of the penalty area to me. He didn't have enough to do to merit a higher rating, but neither did he make any serious errors.

Naughton - 7- I like him. He is a threat going forward and normally has the pace to regain his position quickly. He sometimes seems a little reluctant to really run at a full back, and that was evident today. But as ever, his pace stretched the opposition backline.

Berner - 6.5 - He has a tendency to be caught out of position but he only worried me once in that regard today. His crosses were a bit wayward, but he made plenty of space for himself down the left flank and kept the ball well.

Bamba - 8.5 - Was excellent. He is provides us with a great threat at set pieces, which we have lacked for too long. He looks good on the ball, strong in the air, and passes well too. Could prove to be a bargain.

Mee - 7 - I think some of the criticism of him has been a little unfair. He made a rash challenge to give away the penalty and his confidence seemed to take a bit of a knock. But in the second half he looked strong in the header and his touch and distribution improved.

Abe - 7.5 - Didn't put a foot wrong. He has become a very important member of the team. His passing is mostly precise and he rarely looks hurried on the ball. Almost every time he had the ball today he was looking for opportunities to move the ball forward.

Wellens - 8 - One of my biggest problems with our players is that they often seem reluctant to put a foot in in the middle of the park. Wellens can't often be accused of that. For me he is our most important player and I think he ran the game today. Loses out on the MoM only because Bamba bagged a brace.

King - 7 - He is often derided as being 'anonymous'. When in fact he quietly goes about doing the simple things that nobody notices. He may not stand out unless he scores, but we'd miss him if he left.

Vassell - 7 - He worried the opposition with his pace and directness as usual. His final ball was lacking at times, but overall I thought he played well. He wasn't scared to play the ball backwards if he runs into a dead end, which led at times to us building more effective secondary attacks.

Dyer - 7.5 - I'm not Dyer's biggest fan but I thought he was very good today. His goal was well taken and he wa brilliant at creating space for himself. I'd have given him a higher rating if he'd finished his other opportunities better.

Yakubu - 8 - He looks a massive handful at this level. His goal was great viewing and even though he sometime looked lethargic his turn of pace left the Millwall backline chasing shadows on some occasions. He was also good at bringing other players into the game. Very impressed.

I don't have anything to say about the subs, so they can all have a 6. I think promotion is asking too much this season. But I do believe that given financial backing and a full preseason Eriksson can have us challenging for automatic promotion next time around. For now I'm just going to enjoy the ride while the pressure is off.

I swear most Leicester folk would rather someone shoot from 40 yards than keep the ball and wait for an opening.
That really gets my blood boiling...... possession of the ball also builds confidence and frustrates the other team. Why can no one see that? I suppose because it is a European type of play
exactly who wants to play like barca when you could be playing hoofball ?:icon_roll

Completely agree. I was really enjoying our passing style second half and not letting Millwall get near the ball was absolutely the right thing to do, but some people behind me were shouting for us to shoot at every given opportunity. Couldn't understand it at all.

Last edited:
Completely agree. I was really enjoying our passing style second half and not letting Millwall get near the ball was absolutely the right thing to do, but some people behind me were shouting for us to shoot at every given opportunity. Couldn't understand it at all.

My sentiments too.

I absolutely loved watching us pass it around and wait for openings rather than just lump it up to the front men and hope for the best. We can't lose it if we're in possession of the ball, and with some of the moves, I just had to stand up and applaud.

Sven has got us playing some very attractive football, and with more time and the more players (and better players) he adds, the better I think it'll get.

Last edited:
It was a superb game with both defences struggling. If I was a Millwall fan I would have been annoyed that they either missed each chances or balls were crossed across the goal with no one there to put them in.

To be fair to Mee I understand it was his first league game and he did some things well as well as more things badly. No doubt he will improve with experience but he does not look physically strong enough to be a centreback and I would guess he has been better suited to left back. Perhaps it might have been better to play Berner at centreback and Mee at left back but then perhaps it would have been even better to have played Hobbs and not play Mee at all.

The pluses were our strikers who looked very sharp. I had the feeling that Vassell and Dyer enjoyed playing alongside Yakuba.

I thought Derek Fazackerley might get booked over the Leicester penalty decision and Sven had to signal to Mike Stowell to calm down. As usual Sven greeted both penalty decisions with total equanimity.

Sven and Fazackerley seemed unhappy with Kyle Naughton's positioning in the first half . I could not see what Naughton was doing wrong but then Sven understands football better than me, probably.

I couldn't agree more with the general sentiment here.

Mee looked dodgy, but got better. Berner wasn't his usual self, which may well justify Sven's interest in the Ivory Coast full back.

I've always liked a three man central midfield unit and I think ours is capable of surviving at the highest level. Even better, I think we're starting to look brighter on the flanks, which has been my biggest concern this season. Dyer has all the makings of the top flight super sub, the sort of player no-one quite knows how to play against. A short Paolo Wanchope who actually makes the effort. Maybe that makes no sense, but I know what I mean (!).

And again, I agree totally; the referee was diabolical. I try to be objective about these things where possible, but from whatever angle he was just terrible. Will look forward to the analysis on the League Show.

That's not true, I remember Hobbs scoring against Peterboro a few seasons ago.

You're the only one that does. His only goal for the club was scored against Huddersfield.

Edit: OK - Hazz got there first.

Last edited:
Have i missed something, why no Hobbs today?

Sven grew weary of him curtseying in front of attackers rather than actually tackling them.

Ok I was wrong, I bet you had to look that up though:icon_wink.

I thought it was Huddersfield in that 4-2 game - but I do admit to having checked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566