Post Match Leicester City 1:1 Yeovil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly I would like to say Yeovil were excellent. They were organised, disciplined, committed and never let us settle. How they are 23rd I will never know I have seen plenty of worse teams than them at the King Power this season.

We were pretty awful at best. If Vardy had have scored after 2 minutes I think it would have been a completely different story. I don't know who to say was good for us, but I would single out Knockaert for the second half- he was the only one who wanted the ball and took players on and committed defenders. I thought he had a good second half.

Drinky and a number of others were very poor. But the whole teams passing was absolutely dreadful, we couldn't pass to a Leicester man 5 yards away. It was a very strange night where we never got going and summed up perfectly by having 9 up front towards the end and Schmeichel scoring the goal.

What a fantastic header and delighted it is his goal. Summed the night perfectly.

Spot on for most of this but I can't help thinking Yeovil made us look bad. They were a cornered rat and played their hearts out, did their homework and intercepted almost every pass we made. You could see these guys were playing for their lives, they weren't great but really wanted it. We great by any means and didn't respect them. I'm sure had they been offered a point before the game they would have bitten your hand off. Round of applause for Yeovil, deserved the point.

Can I just say how much I hate that chant "one nil down, who gives a ****......." and the morons that sing it. Some of us do actually give a **** that we went one nil down to Yeovil. It's not an ironic chant it's a moronic one.

That's all.

According to SportingLife, we had 489 passes to their 242 and 66% possession and 10-3 on corners. We're completely dominating teams but not getting the goals.

I honestly think we'll crush Burnley - the pressure is all on them, they have to win - it wouldn't surprise me if we won by 2 or 3 goals.

But then we have Wigan away and Sheff Weds at home on a Tues/Fri - the team is probably getting tired and they're not being rotated much.

Can I just say how much I hate that chant "one nil down, who gives a ****......." and the morons that sing it. Some of us do actually give a **** that we went one nil down to Yeovil. It's not an ironic chant it's a moronic one.

That's all.
This.

We were absolutely shit. Beyond absolutely shit. Couldn't have been more shit. Truly, completely, totally, utterly shit.

That is all

Horrible performance tonight. Just like one of those from last season when the wheel firmly came off our season. Drinkwater summed the performance up with absurd mistake after absurd mistake.

Yeovil weren't any good. Jebus, if smacking the ball up to two 6 foot strikers is all it takes to give us the wobbles, it's a poor show. They had nobody with any skill, invention, talent or pace. Just a group of cloggers. And they outplayed us all over the pitch.

The cuckoo substitution of going three at the back was again back to the bad old days of inexplicable decisions. Schlupp had been our most likely attacking threat down the left with De Laet also having a decent game down the right so where is the sense in castrating the pair of them by making them have to play deeper/narrower. At times we had three left wingers which was embarrassing. Too many of the team didn't have a clue what they were doing. A special word for Wood when he came on and gave a totally awful display. It would be shameful if he got credited with the goal. I don't know why we persist with hammering the ball at him in the air because he can't head it at all.

After praising Mahrez against Blackpool, today we saw how much he's still got to learn. Some very poor play and especially poor decision making. Vardy and Nugent were playing like they'd not scored for months - both looked very low on confidence for some reason.

Before the game I was ridiculed among friends by predicting a Yeovil win. It's the first time this season I've predicted a home defeat. It just felt like we've lost our edge. The comeback against Blackpool and the half arsed performance against Blackburn suggested to me that something bad was around the corner. It doesn't just disappear either so I'm very concerned about Saturday now. We're going to have to play a lot better if we're to get anything there. We're not especially strong physically so if our passing is poor, our whole game is poor.

On the plus side, it was wonderful to see Kasper finally get a reward for his ventures into the opposition box. He's done it plenty of times over the last three years and has deserved a goal. I also thought Schlupp had another good game and Knockaert came into the match well as it went on.

Last edited:
One thing we definitely need to sort out for the top flight is our non-existent threat from set-pieces. You'd think we'll have to rely on them more next season as we won't be cutting through Premier League teams like we can in this division. I can barely get myself excited when we win a corner.

I hope Pearson has learned from last season's terrible run. The proof for me that he has will come if he makes changes for Saturday's match. Last season he persisted too long with players who had lost form. De Laet has had a couple of poor games now, as has Nugent. Schlupp will struggle defensively against Trippier's abiity to cross, too. Mahrez could do with being dumped for Dyer. We have a strong squad. We should use it.

What we shouldn't do though is panic. We are going up and I strongly believe we'll win the league. In our League One season we had a little wobble at this stage, losing to Tranmere and Peterborough and drawing home matches with Carlisle and Colchester. The Burnley game is the equivalent of that game against Leeds. When we won that we knew it was all over. Win on Saturday and we've won the league.

As much as the romantic in me would like to see the goal awarded to Schmeichel, it would set a very odd precedent if the 'Dubious Goals Committee' were to adjudicate it as such. The ref clearly did not think it had crossed the line and did not award the goal until Wood hit it home. If the 'DGC' were to award it to Schmeichel they are actually changing the referee's decision and awarding a goal when in the opinion of the referee the ball did not cross the line. The job of the committee is usually to decide who got the final decisive touch and not to correct a referee's decision about when the ball actually crossed the line.

As has already been suggested, if Wood had not put the ball into the net, no goal would have been awarded and the 'DGC' would have nothing to adjudicate on. If they do award the goal to Schmeichel they are effectively changing history. If the ref had awarded the goal immediately as a result of Schmeichel's effort and it was later proved that the ball had not crossed the line, could the 'DGC' overrule the ref and award the goal to Wood for his follow-up? I would say not - because by that time the ball would have been dead.

If the 'DGC' show proper regard for the laws of the game as they stand, they can not award the goal to Schmeichel.

Last edited:
CITY: Schmeichel, De Laet, Drinkwater, Morgan (c), James, Vardy (Wood 67), Schlupp, Knockaert, Mahrez, Wasilewski (Dyer 63), Nugent (Phillips 67)

SUBS NOT USED: Logan, King, Hammond

GOAL: Wood, 90+1

YEOVIL: Stech, Ayling, McAllister (c), Edwards, Webster, Dawson, Lawrence (Davis 89), Moore, Duffy, Ralls, Miller (Hayter 84)

SUBS NOT USED: Hoskins, Lanzoni, Dunn, Nana Twumasi, Morgan

GOAL: Ralls, 22

ATTENDANCE: 26,240

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/fixtures-results/match-report/?matchid=3632804&tcmuri=955972#AqhLHzgW8YT1Ypv0.99

The OS have it as Wood.

Last edited:
Just drove back from Birmingham and only just calmed down. Whilst everyone went nuts at the equaliser, I was screaming at them to get the ball and hardly celebrated.

Yeovil were incredibly open for a side at the bottom. Every set piece they left 1 on 1 on the halfway line. They pressed high up the pitch. They had three players chasing after every ball.

We had to be intelligent and play simple football. One-two's, balls behind the defence etc. If a team presses you get their backs turned and running towards goal. Instead we overplayed for the first thirty minutes (the two wingers were annoying at this) and this slowly translated into not playing at all and a lack of movement for the next pass. The passing was very poor too. If you going to go direct as well City play twenty yards further up the pitch giving you a decent chance of winning the second phase of play. The only player I give credit to is Morgan who other than one situation completely kept an in form Miller out of the game.

It struck me as a performance of total arrogance. Leaving me very annoyed; more so that's a 8 point gap which has very quickly gone to 3. There's players in a comfort zone now due to the promotion gap and the unchanged line-up's. If they are damaging anyone, it's themselves as their continued performances will see them rendered meaningless next season and get the club accelerating plans for replacements.

A major downside to our playing well this season has been a mellowing of Mike Stowell. Thankfully most of the match was thoroughly frustrating. In the first half our hero had a clash with one of the big Yeovil coaches. In the second half he had a clash with little Gary Johnson which was a mismatch. I am not sure what either had done but if Mother Teresa had been managing Yeovil Mike would have felt she was taunting him. I look forward to next season with hopefully the visit of Alan Pardew.

Just to add by the end of the 90 minutes I was actually annoyed with the sound of my own frustrated voice constantly swearing and moaning.

That at said there was a classic hooray Henry, glory seeking pair behind us tonight. A neighbour summed it up when he said 'I wish they would shut up and **** off back down to the Tigers'

We were poo.

The goal was fun.

Should have rotated the squad.

Surely the goal is Wood's?

If the ref said he only blew for a goal when Wood's header went in then it's Chris Wood's goal and it can't go to a dubious goal panel?

It's not like the ref has given a goal and they are deciding on the scorer, it was 2 seperately "goals" if you like and the ref awarded the latter. If Wood hadn't have put it in it would have ended 1-0. You can't invent goals that weren't given post match.

Don't see how Schmeichel could possibly be given the goal without completely bending the rules of the game and awarding goals that weren't given.

I'm glad everyone still sees promotion as a foregone conclusion because I don't.

Couple of shaky results and QPR get in striking distance (with us to play) and things could get sideways in a hurry.

Sorry to be a negative nancy but the job is far from complete ... Especially if tonight's performance is indicative of our form.

jie2z6.png
Clearly over the line.

"The cuckoo substitution of going three at the back was again back to the bad old days of inexplicable decisions. Schlupp had been our most likely attacking threat down the left with De Laet also having a decent game down the right so where is the sense in castrating the pair of them by making them have to play deeper/narrower. At times we had three left wingers which was embarrassing. Too many of the team didn't have a clue what they were doing. A special word for Wood when he came on and gave a totally awful display. It would be shameful if he got credited with the goal. I don't know why we persist with hammering the ball at him in the air because he can't head it at all."

Well said, during the match thread the call was for early subs, giving Dyer a chance to show why he shld start the next game in place of Mahrez seemed ideal - but the switch in formation made no sense - the goal was not the result of the changes. The starting 11 has looked like it needed tweaking a few games back, rotate players in and bring them to match fitness, though with the next game away at Burnley now is a tricky time for subs to get up to speed.

We've enough of a cushion that we'll be fine but as others have said, let's learn from previous seasons and make changes before they become reactive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed that it wasn´t one our better games..........will put it down to poor finishing since the stats say that we again had 27 goal chances, that normally result in at least 3 goals.

Onwards and upwards......now the players really have something to prove at turf moor & it wouldn´t surprise me if they do, since the pressure will be on burnley. COYB!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670