Post Match Leicester City 1 Charlton Athletic 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
:icon_lol:

Looking back at it though, the general idea from everyone came across as lower play-off positions which is exactly where we are now. I just cannot fathom why our on fans boo that currently if that is what we expected!?!

Saying that though, a lot did have Vardy down for top scorer so it may not be the best of threads for a benchmark of accurate opinions! :icon_lol:

EDIT - +1 on Miles & Waxed too. Another pay off for a manager and complete upheaval of the squad would probably be the death of us imo.

Only point I'd disagree with would be the signing of James. Not saying he is shit but I've not really seen a lot from him which shows he is any massive improvement of Andy King.

It's partly because we've now seen, in flashes, a side capable of so much more than that. I'd happily have taken 5th last summer though and think we're having a good season.

If we finish anywhere in the top six then Pearson should be allowed the time to build on it. He was denied that last time he was here and look how things turned out. If we crash and miss out on the play offs he'll be sacked and will deserve to be sacked. I don't see us falling that far though. I still think we are in with a shout of automatic promotion but that we aren't favourites to make it.

Last edited:
It's partly because we've now seen, in flashes, a side capable of so much more than that. I'd happily have taken 5th last summer though and think we're having a good season.

If we finish anywhere in the top six then Pearson should be allowed the time to build on it. He was denied that last time he was here and look how things turned out. If we crash and miss out on the play offs he'll be sacked and will deserve to be sacked. I don't see us falling that far though. I still think we are in with a shout of automatic promotion but that we aren't favourites to make it.

Agreed.

I can understand why some (including the owners) may decide that play-offs is a failure, but given the competitiveness of the league and our previous history, I don't. It's just a minimum requirement.

We're 3rd favourites for promotion, only marginally behind Hull and slightly ahead of Watford and Palace.

As M17TT pointed out, most of us would have taken that in August.

Not sure how anyone can declare that we won't make the automatic positions. Although I guess that's why this is a forum.

Agreed.

I can understand why some (including the owners) may decide that play-offs is a failure, but given the competitiveness of the league and our previous history, I don't. It's just a minimum requirement.

I never buy the 'competitiveness of the league' stuff with regards to the Championship. I don't think it is any more or less competitive than most others. I reckon it's just another Sky Sports tagline, like the Premier League being 'the most exciting league in the world' (which they switched to when they realised it was too embarrassing to continue with the patently false 'best league in the world' headline). You often hear people saying that 'anybody can beat anybody' in this league. Is that not true of any league, to one extent or another?

If we finish fifth it won't be because we're in a league in which results are so unpredictable that the league table may as well be drawn at random. It will be because there are four teams better than us and nineteen worse than us.

Can anyone find the pre-season expectations thread?

I've just searched and couldn't find it but I'm sure there was one. :102:

EDIT - Found it! I think we all need to have a read of that and then re-evaluate our stances now.

The last 3 games have been disappointing but this is probably our best ever position to kick on for promotion in the last 10-15 years. Lets get behind the team, even if we do think they are ****s, as away teams must love it coming here and hearing the boos ring out after 15 mins without a goal or so.

**Awaits boooooooooooooooooooooo-ing**

Oh dear. I put all my eggs in the wrong basket :-(

Where will we finish? 3rd
Top goalscorer: Vardy
Best new signing: Vardy
Star player: Vardy
Breakout player: Liam Moore
Will Pearson still be here in May? Yes

Only point I'd disagree with would be the signing of James. Not saying he is shit but I've not really seen a lot from him which shows he is any massive improvement of Andy King.

James, a player that epitomises everything about our fans this season.
Beginning of the season, wtf is he playing for, Andy King is better than him.

Few months later, that James is brilliant, so much better than that useless lump King.
Now, that James is shit, possibly!

Fickle bonheaded fans, I've shit 'em!

Agreed.

If I was Nigel I'd probably be expecting the sack whatever happens this season, fail to win promotion and he's failed his main brief, get promoted and he may not be considered good enough to manage in the premier league, best motivation is to do a decent job and strengthen his cv. Will the owners start the circus up again?

I've just been looking through our league results this season (nothing better to do, I'm afraid) because I was wondering about our record having taken the lead/gone behind in matches this season. I had it in my head that we seem confident enough to win games when we take the lead but never seem able to impose ourselves once control is taken by the opposition. The following is based on us scoring first/opposition scoring first.

Games in which Leicester City have scored first:

P17 W14 D2 L1 PTS 44

Games in which our opponents have scored first:

P12 W2 D1 L9 PTS 7

The difference is stark. Maybe that's typical of all teams but I find that difficult to believe. To me that hints at a bit of mental fragility. It is a young squad, after all. But they need to grow up pretty sharpish if we're to go up.

James, a player that epitomises everything about our fans this season.
Beginning of the season, wtf is he playing for, Andy King is better than him.

Few months later, that James is brilliant, so much better than that useless lump King.
Now, that James is shit, possibly!

Fickle bonheaded fans, I've shit 'em!

Sums it up for me. The amount of unbelievably negative people around me in the Kop is staggering. Even the kids never say anything positive. Last night, they were moaning about bringing King on because "he's never done **** all for us, he's not going to score."

At the beginning of the season we had a thread about how great a partnership King and Drinkwater looked, a few months down the line, King is shit and weak and James is where it's at, now it seems he's no good either.

We aren't as far back from our rivals on 'conceding first' as I expected, although we are worse than any other top six side in that respect. It's interesting that Hull, the close rival with the best record having taken the lead, are almost as bad as we are after going behind. They are slightly better than us in both respects which has made big difference (even allowing for games in hand) in terms of overall league performance.

Sums it up for me. The amount of unbelievably negative people around me in the Kop is staggering. Even the kids never say anything positive. Last night, they were moaning about bringing King on because "he's never done **** all for us, he's not going to score."

At the beginning of the season we had a thread about how great a partnership King and Drinkwater looked, a few months down the line, King is shit and weak and James is where it's at, now it seems he's no good either.

Some moaning is fine. I was a moany bugger last night because I don't like seeing our players misplacing simple passes, not picking their heads up to look for options, and not moving to make space for the bloke in possession to pass into.

There is a level of moaning which annoys me though. The hypocritical stuff with supporters slagging players off for seemingly no reason before lauding them as heroes when they do something of note. There was a lot of whining in SK2 last night when Gallagher came on which I thought was silly. I'm by no means his biggest fan but, you know, give a bloke a chance to cock something up before slating him.

Do you not think last night and the last 4 games have been moan worthy?

Knockaert, Morgan, James, Wood are all good value. De Laet, Marshall and Drinkwater certainly aren't a disaster and Nige's only real mistake (based on appearances so far) seems to be the 1M invested in Vardy who, frankly, looks well out of his depth.

I think potentially Knockaert wasn't as superb value as is made out... Rumour was around 2.7m?? Good player but a lack of consistency...

I think potentially Knockaert wasn't as superb value as is made out... Rumour was around 2.7m?? Good player but a lack of consistency...

Depends which rumour you listen to.
One I heard was nearer £700k.
Bargain!

Also, he is still a bairn, like a lot of our team, so give them some leniency.

Do you think these players would be playing for LCFC if they were as brilliant and as consistent as some fans think they should be?

I never buy the 'competitiveness of the league' stuff with regards to the Championship. I don't think it is any more or less competitive than most others. I reckon it's just another Sky Sports tagline, like the Premier League being 'the most exciting league in the world' (which they switched to when they realised it was too embarrassing to continue with the patently false 'best league in the world' headline). You often hear people saying that 'anybody can beat anybody' in this league. Is that not true of any league, to one extent or another?

If we finish fifth it won't be because we're in a league in which results are so unpredictable that the league table may as well be drawn at random. It will be because there are four teams better than us and nineteen worse than us.

Wholeheartedly agree. This is a very average league to say the least. The worrying thing is that we have spent so much and have delivered so little. Let's put our current team into perspective compared with predecessors. Expensive and over paid players, yet and (unlikely) to achieve the heights of the teams that were promoted under Wallace, Milne, O'Neill and Adams. Most of them are essentially football mercenaries, a la most of their peers, with no loyalty towards the club or its supporters. There is no connection with the fans.

Do you not think last night and the last 4 games have been moan worthy?

It's not just moaning, the whole atmosphere is negative from the seats to the shitters. The positives this season far outweigh the negatives and we've lost 2 league games in a row on the back of 5 straight wins. So I stupidly expected a bit of perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566