Martin Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not doubting that Allen is the fire and brimstone manager we have been so desperately lacking, however so was Warnock but he had the experience of this division and plus the fact he has also managed in the premiership means that he has a high profile which is very important when trying to attract players.

I take your point on board TVFA, that Mandaric will operate in a D of F role and no doubt will be responsible for identifying a number of potential signings such as the N'Gotty's, De Zeeuw's, Todorov's and Hendrie's of this world, however they will still have to be convinced that the manager is the right man to take the club forward and my fear is despite MM's lure that with an unproven and fairly low profile manager (similar to Kelly) we will struggle to attract those players to sign and will be in a position of having to settle for the Newton's, Horsfield's and Jarrett's.

from the BBC site.. Mandaric recently told the Leicester Mercury: "Neil Warnock is a good and experienced manager and may be under consideration.
"But he is only one of several on the list I will be considering. As it is such an important decision, I will not be rushed.
"I have had no dialogue with him or anyone else."

You'll find Blackpool are owned by the Oystons, yes they are very rich but never put their hand in the pocket on the playing field. The latvian owes a 20% share and has put it little in, but it still does'nt detract from most of Grayson's signing coming by the way of free transfers and loanee's. He's made them gel and play the style of football they are playing.

Grayson over Allen all day long.

Agree 100%.

Come everyone we need to give the new manager backing and i personally think that MA would do well as the new leicester manager hes got a proven record of getting teams into the play-off and that is more then good enough for us, that what we need and he is niknamed " Mad Dog" does that no say enough?

i understand the conerns of player signings but MM will sort that out

Mad Dog Martin has a much higher profile than R Kelly ever did, even after a season as a manager in the Championship.

And I wouldn't mind a MOTIVATED Newton or Horsfield (Cov game?) either, to be honest.

inexperienced....over rated manager. we needed a sure thing....someone who has spent time in this division and knows what is needed to get out of it. I detest Warnock but in hindsight he would have been a better appointment. I cannot see Allen attracting the type of players that we need to get out of this division, but as has already been said.....if it doesn't work out immediately MM will have shown him the door before Christmas.

Who is a sure thing? Do you not think that if there was a manager that guaranteed success he would be enticed by Man Utd, Chelsea etc, and if by some reason he wanted to come here, would MM really say "No Thanks"?

Every appointment is a risk, and I don't think this is any more of a risk than Warnock, Ince or anyone else we realisitcally could attract.

Every appointment is a risk, and I don't think this is any more of a risk than Warnock, Ince or anyone else we realisitcally could attract.

Nail on the head. Hardly had pick of the litter, cor people's fickleness.

There is a shortlist of 4 - Davies (doubtful), Allen (ok), Warnock (cock), Ince (cock).

Any realistic option would be a risk.....

Come everyone we need to give the new manager backing and i personally think that MA would do well as the new leicester manager hes got a proven record of getting teams into the play-off and that is more then good enough for us, that what we need and he is niknamed " Mad Dog" does that no say enough?

i understand the conerns of player signings but MM will sort that out

Giving the club backing does not necessarily mean just agreeing with every decision.

If Martin Allen is appointed, then I think this will be a disappointment.

I'm also less than impressed with the sort of players that - so far - are being touted this summer.

It's a hell of a way to us talking about play off aspirations from the very low base where we are at present - and I can't imagine that bringing 36 and 37 years old players will take us anyway towards that objective.

The record shows that such players move clubs at that stage almost always as an extra year's pay on route to retirement.

I hope to be proved completely wrong - but so far, not very good.

Giving the club backing does not necessarily mean just agreeing with every decision.

If Martin Allen is appointed, then I think this will be a disappointment.

I'm also less than impressed with the sort of players that - so far - are being touted this summer.

It's a hell of a way to us talking about play off aspirations from the very low base where we are at present - and I can't imagine that bringing 36 and 37 years old players will take us anyway towards that objective.

The record shows that such players move clubs at that stage almost always as an extra year's pay on route to retirement.

I hope to be proved completely wrong - but so far, not very good.

Worked fine for Portsmouth in their promotion year? Also don't forget the players are only speculation, I don't believe any have been substantiated in the newspapers.

Also, looking at the stats the FT provided, Martin Allen has the highest win % and the second highest Not Lost % out of every touted manager. Made me feel a lot more optimistic

Last edited:
Mad Dog, brilliant, get him in...

For those worried about the standard/style of football, think it through please...Who else worried about this when MON came from Wycombe? It was always a concern...And what have we just been watching? A City style playing with style and panache? Bollocks...

Martin Allen will not tolerate anyone not playing for the shirt, and that alone will be an impriovement.

I'm excited, a young upcoming manager who has done a good job at Brentford and at horrible MK Dons.....

Let's give him a good go please. Negativity now is futile.

Worked fine for Portsmouth in their promotion year? Also don't forget the players are only speculation, I don't believe any have been substantiated in the newspapers.

You may be right - it would also tie in with my scenario that MM would be happy with a short term strategy to achieve promotion....and then sell on the club to another investor who would hopefully kit out the club with better players.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

You may be right - it would also tie in with my scenario that MM would be happy with a short term strategy to achieve promotion....and then sell on the club to another investor who would hopefully kit out the club with better players.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

I agree, although he may just stay and buy more players in the prem, if we get there, the ammount of money received just for getting there is ever increasing.

He may have the iniials MA. But his first name is Martin. That for me is a good omen!

Seriously, I think this could be a good appointment for us. A manager with some bite who won't tolerate fools. Best name I've heard mentioned yet

Go get him MM.

no more smashing lads, we are where we are, etc if he comes... get him in now MM!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59