Mary Elizabeth Truss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shows you how far the insanity has spread when you can use the phrase "woke institutions" while describing the OBR & the IMF, even as a joke.

Btw...I wouldn't go overboard on Rory Stewart too much. He never held high enough office to have to make top level decisions. If he did I think people would have a different take on the guy.

To me he's kind of like the Liberals/Alliance/SNP/Lib Dems used to be.

Perceived as progressive but actually not when it comes down to it. Lots of seemingly radical policy statements that grab attention, delivered safely from a position of never actually having to enact any of them.

I spent over 3 decades spouting off about this, all the while knowing that I'd never be proved right or wrong as they'd never get within a million miles of power. Then **** me, lo & behold we get a hung parliament & they promptly abandon all their supposed principals & jump into coalition with a right wing Tory govt for 5 years & let Osborne & Pig Boy deliver us a decade of austerity meaures that crippled the country at every level.

I lost count of the number of people I'd known for all or most of those years who said to me afterwards that they always thought I was a bit of a looney for saying it but now they saw I was right.

Impossible to take any pleasure from it though.

Stewart may come across as a liberal thinker but he still approaches things from the right of centre perspective that has delivered us this world by inches since the 80s. There are no answers there. The fact that he collaborates with that slug Campbell gives it away.
It allows them to present things as non partisan & co-operative but all it really does is show how little difference there is between the right of the Labour party & what would be seen as the left of the Tories.

With politics generally having moved so far to the right over those years it means that all the solutions generated are going to come from a right wing perspective. Same as before. Therefore same results in the end. Maybe a small improvement in prospects for a certain section of society but more inevitable backsliding for most. Radical situations call for radical solutions but anyone putting them forward will be utterly destroyed by the vested interests.

Business as usual. Should be the new national motto.
That’s quite a post! I get what you’re saying but there will always be a right wing and at a time like this, with the Tories in power, one would like for them to not be utterly sadistic, nasty ideologues.

That’s quite a post! I get what you’re saying but there will always be a right wing and at a time like this, with the Tories in power, one would like for them to not be utterly sadistic, nasty ideologues.
Well yeah. But the days of the old one nation Tory govts that built social housing & funded the NHS & the welfare state are gone forever.

Sadistic,nasty idealogues are all you'll get now. They were completely unelectable for a decade but as soon as they got back in it was austerity,**** the poor,bail out the banks. They didn't change & never will. The only advantage to a Labout govt under Starmer is at least there are still some voices in the wider party who can force his hand. Unless he purges us all quietly after winning an election obviously (after nicking all our ideas)

Shows you how far the insanity has spread when you can use the phrase "woke institutions" while describing the OBR & the IMF, even as a joke.

Btw...I wouldn't go overboard on Rory Stewart too much. He never held high enough office to have to make top level decisions. If he did I think people would have a different take on the guy.

To me he's kind of like the Liberals/Alliance/SNP/Lib Dems used to be.

Perceived as progressive but actually not when it comes down to it. Lots of seemingly radical policy statements that grab attention, delivered safely from a position of never actually having to enact any of them.

I spent over 3 decades spouting off about this, all the while knowing that I'd never be proved right or wrong as they'd never get within a million miles of power. Then **** me, lo & behold we get a hung parliament & they promptly abandon all their supposed principals & jump into coalition with a right wing Tory govt for 5 years & let Osborne & Pig Boy deliver us a decade of austerity meaures that crippled the country at every level.

I lost count of the number of people I'd known for all or most of those years who said to me afterwards that they always thought I was a bit of a looney for saying it but now they saw I was right.

Impossible to take any pleasure from it though.

Stewart may come across as a liberal thinker but he still approaches things from the right of centre perspective that has delivered us this world by inches since the 80s. There are no answers there. The fact that he collaborates with that slug Campbell gives it away.
It allows them to present things as non partisan & co-operative but all it really does is show how little difference there is between the right of the Labour party & what would be seen as the left of the Tories.

With politics generally having moved so far to the right over those years it means that all the solutions generated are going to come from a right wing perspective. Same as before. Therefore same results in the end. Maybe a small improvement in prospects for a certain section of society but more inevitable backsliding for most. Radical situations call for radical solutions but anyone putting them forward will be utterly destroyed by the vested interests.

Business as usual. Should be the new national motto.
The LDs were absolutely moronic to go into government with the Tories, the weekend after the agreement we went to a football match with LD peer Lord Jones and I told him that they were going to destroy their party, he told us that right until the last minute their negotiating team thought they'd accept a deal with Labour. The last 12 years is built on Clegg being bought off by a job as deputy PM.

Unless he purges us all quietly after winning an election obviously (after nicking all our ideas)

Signs would suggest he loves a good purge. I'd like to see Labour in power but hopefully as a coalition where another party can try and force them to be ok. Problem is for that to happen it's probably lib dems who have been in that situation and gave up on their supposed principles as Biff says. Greens etc would need a good performance to get ahead of them.

At the current rate Labour only have to offer something less shit than the Tories are wanting us to get to.....people would vote if they promised all would be as it was in August 2022.

Personally I’m shitting myself. We’ve sold our house subject to contract which we should have next week. Don’t want to pull out because we got an amazing price for our house before the prices tumble. Moving in with family for 6 or so months while a new build is finished. We’re going to end up spending way more than we budgeted on the mortgage on the new place thanks to the interest rates. We’re lucky, we can be flexible and get help although I still anticipate that we’ll be worse off for years thanks to this.

I've not ever bought a new build so i could be showing ignorance....i considered buying one but decided against, then the ****s put our place on an auction site for 50% market value for a day. Which meant future valuers then looked at that valuation and decided that was the true value (as they do a professional job).

When you sign up for a mortgage on new build do you not get locked in with an agreement in principle etc? I justifiably shit the bed at the list of worse than Johnson candidates earlier in the year and remortgaed very early. The rate on the offer went up a fair bit (10% more £s) but i was entitled to what they offered at the start.

I've not ever bought a new build so i could be showing ignorance....i considered buying one but decided against, then the ****s put our place on an auction site for 50% market value for a day. Which meant future valuers then looked at that valuation and decided that was the true value (as they do a professional job).

When you sign up for a mortgage on new build do you not get locked in with an agreement in principle etc? I justifiably shit the bed at the list of worse than Johnson candidates earlier in the year and remortgaed very early. The rate on the offer went up a fair bit (10% more £s) but i was entitled to what they offered at the start.
We have an agreement in principle to prove that we can afford to borrow the amount the house costs but not an actual mortgage lined up.

I’m guessing this means we’ll still be subject to higher interest rates when we go to the lender for the actual mortgage agreement? Surely the agreement in principle is binding with the bank we got it from, so stuck at 2%ish?

We have an agreement in principle to prove that we can afford to borrow the amount the house costs but not an actual mortgage lined up.

I’m guessing this means we’ll still be subject to higher interest rates when we go to the lender for the actual mortgage agreement? Surely the agreement in principle ISNT binding with the bank we got it from, so stuck at 2%ish?
Corrected

I’m guessing this means we’ll still be subject to higher interest rates when we go to the lender for the actual mortgage agreement?

Ah right. Probably...I've just had a google and no info on there backs up what i had during remortgage. I applied and agreed rate etc which was valid until December even though it was straightforward and completed in april or something. I didn't go through a broker or owt so it was direct through bank. Worth bending a broker's ear if you haven't already.

Ah right. Probably...I've just had a google and no info on there backs up what i had during remortgage. I applied and agreed rate etc which was valid until December even though it was straightforward and completed in april or something. I didn't go through a broker or owt so it was direct through bank. Worth bending a broker's ear if you haven't already.
Booked in to see a broker soon.

Still clinging on to the hope that something forces some sort of row back.

I feel for you but you're ****ed mate. I wouldn't advise anyone to stretch themselves for a property right now. It's too dangerous.

Depends on many things though doesn't it. If you're happy to accept a house as a place to live then anytime is ok unless it properly crashes and you can't remortgage. Rents tend to be pisstaking so at least your offspring have some money to buy something to burn in the future. If i was a potential first time buyer right now I'd sleep in the car for a few years, but remortgage and upgrades I'd be meh about.

I feel for you but you're ****ed mate. I wouldn't advise anyone to stretch themselves for a property right now. It's too dangerous.
In which case we’ll have to sit tight. We’ve got a plan in place for living with the in laws. The house we’re selling is up for remortgaging before Christmas and I’m not spending £X more on a house I don’t particularly like living in. **** that, still selling it.

We’ll have to take it as it comes. It’s a knacker because this is years of our lives we have planned out with work and schools and family. I want to make it work and we’ve taken risks before… but if someone can lay it out to me and says ‘seriously don’t do this’ then we’ll have to reconsider.

Call me naive but I just never considered that this could happen, the government making an announcement so toxic it could result in us losing thousands of pounds, completely out of the blue.

Another sleepless night. Sat there watching my little lad sleep. I checked my phone this morning and saw a picture of the **** on the BBC homepage. She makes me feel sick.

I’ve come up with a plan that if/when we end up without our own house we bide our time, take advantage of the in laws’ hospitality and the forecast drop in prices and buy somewhere ****ing massive and dilapidated. We’ve got experience from doing up our first home and I did a lot of work for my mum too. Even learned to plaster (not very well mind, dab hand at ceilings though)

Another sleepless night. Sat there watching my little lad sleep. I checked my phone this morning and saw a picture of the **** on the BBC homepage. She makes me feel sick.

I’ve come up with a plan that if/when we end up without our own house we bide our time, take advantage of the in laws’ hospitality and the forecast drop in prices and buy somewhere ****ing massive and dilapidated. We’ve got experience from doing up our first home and I did a lot of work for my mum too. Even learned to plaster (not very well mind, dab hand at ceilings though)

Where things will go won't be clear probably until they release the OBR statement, currently planned for Nov 23rd.

But to my mind it's a 0 sum game. Buy something now - pay the higher house price, but maybe still get a mortgage that's cheaper today than it'll be in six to twelve months.

Or wait until house prices drop (which in itself is a bit of a gamble) and then get a mortgage on a higher rate.

Ultimately, I think you'll end up spending about the same.

We did similar when we first moved house with our eldest, who was about 8 months at the time. We sold ours and moved in with my parents for a while, which gave us an edge on buying our next house.

Where things will go won't be clear probably until they release the OBR statement, currently planned for Nov 23rd.

But to my mind it's a 0 sum game. Buy something now - pay the higher house price, but maybe still get a mortgage that's cheaper today than it'll be in six to twelve months.

Or wait until house prices drop (which in itself is a bit of a gamble) and then get a mortgage on a higher rate.

Ultimately, I think you'll end up spending about the same.
We really would be in the shit if we were staying put. Remortgage in November with wife on maternity. Ouch.

We did similar when we first moved house with our eldest, who was about 8 months at the time. We sold ours and moved in with my parents for a while, which gave us an edge on buying our next house.
Just paying a bit of board this winter will be nice.

Going off what friends have done in the last couple of years it’s pretty common. Even did it the other way round having my mum stay with us for a few months while we worked on her house. Living with a baby is nothing in comparison to that :042:

Just paying a bit of board this winter will be nice.

Going off what friends have done in the last couple of years it’s pretty common. Even did it the other way round having my mum stay with us for a few months while we worked on her house. Living with a baby is nothing in comparison to that :042:
Ha I’m not sure if I’d be as happy with it that way round either.

Thank **** our mortgage was paid off some years ago. And thank ****ety **** that fixed rates were not a thing in those days. Yes, variable rates meant that the repayments went up (and down) but never in such steep steps as they can when you have to remortgage every few years.

Thank **** our mortgage was paid off some years ago. And thank ****ety **** that fixed rates were not a thing in those days. Yes, variable rates meant that the repayments went up (and down) but never in such steep steps as they can when you have to remortgage every few years.
Imagine the cost that’s going to be put on people renting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Ipswich4389
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263