Speculation Matt Derbyshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to Young. As a former player and "straight talker" I can see how he could be appealing early on.

His criticism of players of certain style and absolute distrust of any player with a foreign background became obvious at a later stage and served as evidence of a seemingly bitter and reductive man.

Never seen the word used in that sense before; I had to look it up. I'll try to use it myself soon.

Thank you for improving my education.

Last edited:
In regards to Young. As a former player and "straight talker" I can see how he could be appealing early on.

His criticism of players of certain style and absolute distrust of any player with a foreign background became obvious at a later stage and served as evidence of a seemingly bitter and reductive man.

Ricardo, van Aanholt, yak, Bamba and Bruma were all earmarked for criticism and it seemed he attributed much of that to their origins as people. Not on really.

This.

Thought he was okay at first, better than Matt Piper anyway........ Just got to the point where he stopped being mildly amusing and just sounded the kind of clueless annoying git that you always end up sitting near to at matches.

Some people on here would be moaning if we signed Lionel Messi because he's got no experience of playing in the Championship.

Some people on here would be moaning if we signed Lionel Messi because he's got no experience of playing in the Championship.
Lazy, doesn't run around enough, can't defend. A goal a game, yes, but if he's not ending every game on the brink of a heart attack from chasing the ball all over the pitch then I'm afraid he's just an overpaid lazy fat bastard. The only thing that could make him worse is being black, somehow.

An excellent post. Were thanks still available, I would issue same. Intelligent, well reasoned posts, such as this, is why TB knocks other football sites into the proverbial cocked hat.
Ricardo, van Aanholt, yak, Bamba and Bruma were all earmarked for criticism and it seemed he attributed much of that to their origins as people. Not on really.

It isn't Alan Young's job to be liked . Would anyone really prefer some bland sycophant who just told you what you wanted to hear?

It isn't Alan Young's job to be liked . Would anyone really prefer some bland sycophant who just told you what you wanted to hear?

No but I'd prefer someone who wasn't inaccurate with a lot of his observations and wasn't a tedious borderline xenophobe.

It's not his job to be disliked either. His job is to talk about the football, but it doesn't seem as though he understands it.

No but I'd prefer someone who wasn't inaccurate with a lot of his observations and wasn't a tedious borderline xenophobe.

Couldn't agree more. The last time I heard him he was ruling out an egyptian keeper purely on their country of origin. As though it was literally impossible he could be any good.

Spot on. Alan Young is laboured and hard work - but unlike most RL commentators he does have a knowledge of the game and LCFC.

On Matt Derbyshire: he is a dud rather than as someone stated a potential "awesome" signing - 13 League appearances for Birmingham - zero goals. 11 League appearances for Plymouth - zero goals.

Who knows what deals are being set up at the Walkers - but if this one provesto have any substance then it will tend to confirm the huge gap between the ambitious talk and the reality. Let's hope this is just agent generated nonsense.

Bit harsh that. He may have had dodgy spells at Birmingham [bit part player] and Plymouth [7 years ago], but his record in Greece is decent. Also, this move could perhaps kick start his career again.

He is 25 years old now. Many players who had potential as kids only start producing the goods when they reach their mid-twenties. Just give the boy a chance.

Not sure I rate him. 3 in 20 for Birmingham was it? Even if it was in the Prem that's a piss poor record. I'm all for signing up Nugent but dunno about this one...

Good stats on FM, can play on the right wing as well I think. With this information I stand by my earlier demand to gerrimin.

Borderline? That's like suggesting Wick is almost in England!

we have an experienced management team let them decide if hes any good or will fit our playing system In my opinion players who gain England u21 recognition, tend to be decent (certainly for Championship level)

24 words of perfection which encapsulate what everybody is or should be thinking, written in a way which I could only aspire to. Not only is this my favourite post in the thread but I reckon it's the best one posted this week. Maybe even fortnight.

Not only that but I reckon your hair looks fantastic and those trousers make your arse look fantastic.

24 words of perfection which encapsulate what everybody is or should be thinking, written in a way which I could only aspire to. Not only is this my favourite post in the thread but I reckon it's the best one posted this week. Maybe even fortnight.

Not only that but I reckon your hair looks fantastic and those trousers make your arse look fantastic.
Are you saying that Young should make intentionally erroneous observations just to raise the ire of listeners? Here was me thinking he was just a commentator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669