Matt Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pearson tantrum. Can't be viewed as anything but that for me. May well work out for the best, but it stinks a bit. And Leeds of all sides? It's Campbell all over again.

It can be seen as anything other than that because we have no idea what has gone on. If Biff is to be believed, Pearson has every right to be pissed off.

It can be seen as anything other than that because we have no idea what has gone on. If Biff is to be believed, Pearson has every right to be pissed off.

Based on my limited knowledge of the situation and previous examples of similar falling outs I am forming an opinion. Could be bollocks, but part of the fun of sports is speculation.

Why are there so many posts ? Simply Mills has been crap for too long, Morgan has come in and done a good job and deserves his place. Bamba also deserves his place on the bench because he has been our most consistent defender this season.

Also in regards to CB I think the future is Morgan (who is basically the player we all expected Mills to be) and Bamba, although I'm sure SSL will have something to say about that.

I am looking forward to seeing more of Morgan but my first impression is that you are right.

Mills is strong, brave and not bad in the air. He seems to me to have two problems:
(1) he lets his emotions get the better of him
(2) while he can clear the ball under pressure he is a very poor passer of the ball. It is very frustating for the fans to see Dyer in a good position and the ball hit over his head for a goal kick. It is probably even more frusrating for Dyer.

We already have three excellent centre backs - even leaving Tunchev aside - and in an emergency Peltier can also play there. St Ledger and Bamba are versatile - both have played in midfield. If some other club wants him I say let him go.

It'll take a bit longer than a few months to sort out the sorry mess left behind by the incompetent swede.

Ouch, brings back painful memories from when I overheard homer saying exactly that to alex after our last get-together :icon_sad: I can't believe I mistook homer's post match rants for coprophilia.

What the **** is sustainability in football?

Either the Crewe/WBA model of recouping investment through player development or banking promotion monies or the new Wrexham/Exeter fans-owned model of operating within tight financial constraints and having supporters responsible directly for the operation of the club rather than an egotistical wanker with **** all idea about the game or running an enterprise.

At a guess.

I see the signing of Drinkwater and Morgan as moves forward. I also see the form of Wellens, Danns, Beckford, St Ledger and Dyer as vast moves forward. All of these things have happened since Pearson has taken charge. Granted it has not happened over night but I think the future looks very promising.

With all these players performing well; why are we 12th in the league?

With all these players performing well; why are we 12th in the league?
As I said, the transition has not happened over night. But I think recent weeks have looked very promising. It is still early days but I certainly have more optimism than I did when Sven was in charge.

I am looking forward to seeing more of Morgan but my first impression is that you are right.

Mills is strong, brave and not bad in the air. He seems to me to have two problems:
(1) he lets his emotions get the better of him
(2) while he can clear the ball under pressure he is a very poor passer of the ball. It is very frustating for the fans to see Dyer in a good position and the ball hit over his head for a goal kick. It is probably even more frusrating for Dyer.

We already have three excellent centre backs - even leaving Tunchev aside - and in an emergency Peltier can also play there. St Ledger and Bamba are versatile - both have played in midfield. If some other club wants him I say let him go.
I don't think he is good enough in the air. I have seen numerous occasions where the centre forward has won flick-ons leaving us on the back foot. Morgan and St Ledger on the other hand have been exceptional in this aspect of the game.

a few weeks ago most wanted SSL to go, i for one would sooner Mills stay (even his critics must see he has played some bloody solid games for us this season)

a few weeks ago most wanted SSL to go, i for one would sooner Mills stay (even his critics must see he has played some bloody solid games for us this season)
You're right. I distinctly recall at least two occasions when I came away from a game thinking 'Matt Mills wasn't terrible today'.

I agree that Mills is our 4th best CB in the pecking order, for all the reasons given including ill-discipline. Normally he would want to fight for his place, but Pearson is shipping him out. To me that suggests Pearson believes he is a disruptive influence in the dressing room/training ground. I have never heard anyone suggest that Pearson would get rid of anyone just out of spite.

You're right. I distinctly recall at least two occasions when I came away from a game thinking 'Matt Mills wasn't terrible today'.

Indeed. dp is right to use to word "solid" though. Solid is the right word for his best games for us, still never seen him have a truly great game for us. His best games have been nowhere near as good as SSL's or Bamba's best games this season. Morgan's performance on Thursday was as good as anything Mills has dished out this season as well.

Solid is fine for a centre back if it's on a consistent basis I suppose, it does a job, even if not a spectacular one, but Mills has been nothing like consistent.

Last edited:
I agree that Mills is our 4th best CB in the pecking order, for all the reasons given including ill-discipline. Normally he would want to fight for his place, but Pearson is shipping him out. To me that suggests Pearson believes he is a disruptive influence in the dressing room/training ground. I have never heard anyone suggest that Pearson would get rid of anyone just out of spite.

Pearson finds too many disruptive influences, for my taste. Managing in business, or football, is not about liking everyone. A manager needs to get the best out of people he/she would not invite into their home.

Pearson finds too many disruptive influences, for my taste. Managing in business, or football, is not about liking everyone. A manager needs to get the best out of people he/she would not invite into their home.

Campbell, SSL (who he made up with), Mills and who else?

And was Campbell ever "finding a disruptive influence"? IIRC he was loaned out because he was crap for us under about 4 different managers (including Holloway) then he came out in the press and said something like "I just want to go anywhere, as long as I don't have to go back to Leicester." He just seemed like a player who didn't want to be here more than anything NP did or him being considered a disruptive influence.

Last edited:
Campbell, SSL (who he made up with), Mills and who else?

And was Campbell ever "finding a disruptive influence"? IIRC he was loaned out because he was crap for us under about 4 different managers (including Holloway) then he came out in the press and said something like "I just want to go anywhere, as long as I don't have to go back to Leicester." He just seemed like a player who didn't want to be here more than anything NP did or him being considered a disruptive influence.

They'll probably argue Gradel as well, though he also wanted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669