Milan Mandaric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah. I'm liking your voice of experience. Workers in the public sector must perform better when they're booed. I shall try this out.

As you've demonstrated, comparing any 'normal' job with professional football is ridiculous.

However, one thing that I would say is that all 'workers' require a mix of the carrot and the stick. Some need almost entirely carrot. Some almost entirely stick. Most need both at different times and in differing circumstances.

If you use the carrot and get nothing back, what do you suggest? I say try the stick. If the stick doesn't work either, you've got a bad 'un and are best off getting shot.

I know this is highly simplistic but it demonstrates a point. You give someone a bollocking to get a positive response, not to turn them into a gibbering wreck. If the person is a professional sportsman who is paid to perform in pressure situations in front of hostile crowds, there is surely a pre-requisite that the person can react positively to some boo'ing. He should take it on board that what is being delivered is not acceptable and endevour to improve. If he cannot improve, then he is demonstrating that he is not up to the job, either at that time or at all.

Therefore, boo'ing is an integral part of finding out whether a player or group of players have the testicular fortitude to see you through. It is also a very accomplished way of demonstrating that a required standard is not being delivered. The manager can do that in the dressing room but the supporters only have the time the player is on the pitch to do it. I take the point about only boo'ing after the final whistle and generally that is the approach that I take. However, a well placed boo never did anyone any good, any harm.

Hi

My name is spoilt little prick.
I am under a quarter of the way through the season and my team sits just behind the automatic promotion places with a game in hand.
I'm not bothered that my team has been ripped apart time and again and needs nurturing and help to progress.
My team failed to beat Walsall at home and Northampton at home and has now lost (*shock) away at Brighton.
My booing helps them. It does. It focuses them to want to do better, to achieve, to win games of football.....
My money is what matters to me and when I go to football I want to see nothing else but victory, any less is not good enough, and if we don't win games I will boo, it's my right...

Last edited:
Hi

My name is spoilt little prick.
I am under a quarter of the way through the season and my team sits just behind the automatic promotion places with a game in hand.
I'm not bothered that my team has been ripped apart time and again and needs nurturing and help to progress.
My team failed to beat Walsall at home and Northampton at home and has now lost (*shock) away at Brighton.
My booing helps them. It does. It focuses them to want to do better, to achieve, to win games of football.....
My money is what matters to me and when I go to football I want to see nothing else but victory, any less is not good enough, and if we don't win games I will boo, it's my right...

You are exactly what is wrong with this club Alex :icon_wink

No doubt you will get some sarcastic responses along the lines of "we aren't true supporters apparantly because we speak the truth".

The thing is last night was a shit result, but I don't see how we can really blame Pearon, no team should give away a 2 goal lead, they don't need the manager to tell them that.

Why do we expect this from them though? England have won nothing in recent history, and haven't even looked closed to really.

Because they have managed to win the most major competition available to them at club level and it's certainly not because the team carries them. The likes of Ferdinand, Rooney, Gerrard all played pivotal roles for their teams to winners of the European Cup. Without looking, at least 7 of England's first choice eleven have probably played in a European Cup Final.

Interesting to me that just after booing we concede 3 goals and capitulate. A lack of confidence perhaps?

Yeah - you pay your money, boo the twats, what have they done so far this season after all?

The thing is last night was a shit result, but I don't see how we can really blame Pearon, no team should give away a 2 goal lead, they don't need the manager to tell them that.

You could blame him for playing Powell at LB, and Berner in midfield. Ridiculous decisions in my book

You could blame him for doing precisely nothing to change the system or personnel, despite the obvious way that the game was going

You could, and should, blame him because he is the person responsible for assembling a team, selecting the players, coaching them, instructing them on tactics, and 'inspiring' them to the point where they are able to defend a two goal lead against a team that hadn't won a game at home all season (having failed miserably to beat the might of Walsall and Northampton feckin' Town on our own pitch)

Interesting to me that just after booing we concede 3 goals and capitulate. A lack of confidence perhaps?

Yeah - you pay your money, boo the twats, what have they done so far this season after all?

Of course

How silly of me

It is all the fault of the fans isn't it ?

As you've demonstrated, comparing any 'normal' job with professional football is ridiculous.

However, one thing that I would say is that all 'workers' require a mix of the carrot and the stick. Some need almost entirely carrot. Some almost entirely stick. Most need both at different times and in differing circumstances.

If you use the carrot and get nothing back, what do you suggest? I say try the stick. If the stick doesn't work either, you've got a bad 'un and are best off getting shot.

I know this is highly simplistic but it demonstrates a point. You give someone a bollocking to get a positive response, not to turn them into a gibbering wreck. If the person is a professional sportsman who is paid to perform in pressure situations in front of hostile crowds, there is surely a pre-requisite that the person can react positively to some boo'ing. He should take it on board that what is being delivered is not acceptable and endevour to improve. If he cannot improve, then he is demonstrating that he is not up to the job, either at that time or at all.

Therefore, boo'ing is an integral part of finding out whether a player or group of players have the testicular fortitude to see you through. It is also a very accomplished way of demonstrating that a required standard is not being delivered. The manager can do that in the dressing room but the supporters only have the time the player is on the pitch to do it. I take the point about only boo'ing after the final whistle and generally that is the approach that I take. However, a well placed boo never did anyone any good, any harm.

If you are using your stick to smack the donkey when it does walk as fast as you want it to, what are you going to hang your carrot from? I think the expression you are looking for is, 'a carrot with 2 sticks, the second in case you need to beat the crap out of it once it realises it will never get the carrot.' Less catchy, but more in keeping with your line of thinking.

Nope, but it doesn't help - I am sure of that.

Agreed.

Pay £25 to boo and be miserable? No thanks, waste of money. City are a League 1 team and because of that have no right to expect to win every game, or even consistantly perform. If I want to pay money to see a team win every week I'd move to Hull :icon_bigg

Last edited:
City are a League 1 team and because of that have no right to expect to win every game, or even consistantly perform.

This is the reason I do expect us to win every week! With our resourses we should be close to doing that. I'm not daft enough to believe it will happen but I see no reason why we shouldn't go into every game expecting to win. I have every confidence that after the next transfer window NP will have brought in the right players to give us hope of doing this provided MM doesn't poke his nose in.

This is the reason I do expect us to win every week! With our resourses we should be close to doing that. I'm not daft enough to believe it will happen but I see no reason why we shouldn't go into every game expecting to win. I have every confidence that after the next transfer window NP will have brought in the right players to give us hope of doing this provided MM doesn't poke his nose in.

There's nothing wrong with going into every game believing we should win every time but it's never going to happen. We are one of the better teams in a shit division and our star players are players who were either signed from League 1 or players who couldn't perform for us when we were in The Championship.

We should be looking at loan deals now, as its blatantly obvious we have players who are not up for a fight.

I know Hume and Stearman have moved on, but they were the only two who had any fight in them last season. We'Ve replaced them with lightweights. Milan should realise that if he wants to get out of this League, hes not going to do it with players that lack the desire to share his goal.

We should be looking at loan deals now, as its blatantly obvious we have players who are not up for a fight.

I know Hume and Stearman have moved on, but they were the only two who had any fight in them last season. We'Ve replaced them with lightweights. Milan should realise that if he wants to get out of this League, hes not going to do it with players that lack the desire to share his goal.

The only fight Stearman had last season was Ricky Hattons pay per view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566