Newcastle away

Status
Not open for further replies.
my take on the game last night:

Weale: good goalie, not overtested but kicks monsters and has good presence. didn't distribute to full backs - but then again i wouldn't pass to Berner on a wet pitch. 7

Nielson: Solid full back, half decent touch, turn circle of the Bismarck. 6

Hobbs - Quality, will onl get better, but outmuscled by a teen in the second half. 6

Brown - Solid in the air but has a left peg like a game of hungry hippo's - Tunch would do a better job if fit. 5

Berner - not trustworthy on the ball under pressure, but not the best game to judge as Gallagher wasn't really holding his shape and giving an out ball to the left. McGivern must be breathing down his neck though. 5

Gallagher - good first touch but understandably showed lack of positional nouse on the left - good free kick is all he contributed apart from a handball in the area. 5

Wellens - on another night would have been the star turn on the whole pitch. Some good passes, and great first touchs into space, but the team didn't have the width to give him the targets to pass to. 7

Oakley - likes playing with Wellens in this team you can tell. But might get moved to the right again if he can't make som better decisions with forward passing. The pairing in midfield was outpaced by a not very quick Newcastle midfield 6

N'Guessan. still keeping em guessin'. Started all over Enrique but then constantly let the smaller man overpower him and out battle him. Admittedly Geremi did move to help out which was a good move by Hughton/Calderwood. Promising, but needs to learn to cross whilst looking up. 6

Fryatt: Started well, missed a sitter of a chance to put Oakley in. Needs to find the composure in League one with the smaller amount of time he gets . If he can't, he'll get less than 12 goals i'd imagine. 6

Howard: Equally a curse and a blessing. wins almost everything (except when Smith was moved just in front of him) but makes our attack much more predictable for good teams to defend. Nile Ranger showed what a big 'mobile' attacker can do when he flicked on to Nolan and then raced on to the return touch. Howard can't do that and when laying out to the wing isn't often seen at the near post or 8 yards out by the time the ball comes in. hence the wingers delay the ball in and are play is sometimes slow - or a cross comes in and there's only fryatt there. Something for Pearson to ponder, although Howard tried harder than anyone on the pitch. 7

Waghorn, Adams, Dyer - not much.

The team that do get 0/10 are the commentary team - they did nothing but bang on about Newcastle and their 'spirit' all game. Facts are that Alan Smith, Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton, Jose Enrique and Geremi are all capped as full internationals. Steven Taylor was u-21 England captain and Ryan Taylor, Danny Guthrie both have at least 3 years premier league experience.
They weren't a 'bodged together side' filling gaps, and they only just managed to overcome a side that played 3rd division last year. so why were they so far up their arses? really pissed me off.

Last edited:
Ranger looked a good player and he did well for his first competitive debut, he wasnt the class act that those idiot sky pundits made out...

Remember Newcastle are still Premiership quality when it comes to the media, they are very much a nations team that will gather allot of interest from the public and therefore sell papers/sky tv.

I thought we were the better team first half and posed no threat whatsoever in the second, which makes me wonder what Pearson said ?

I still dont rate Gallagher and said that since the day he was linked with us. hes not any better than what we already have.

Having read the thoughts of those who watched the game on Sky, I am so glad that I made the trip to St James' Park, and would rather suffer with my first bout of tonsillitis for the season than have to listen to the drivel that the commentators provide.

But when you go to make a cuppa how do you know when there's been a goal if you have it on mute? :p

get someone else to do it or wait til ht :102::icon_bigg

We haven't got Sky, but if we did, having the sound off would mean I have no excuse for not listening to the other half! :icon_bigg

hmmm not thought of that.....shame there isnt a mute button for people :102::icon_bigg

It was the biggest wank-fest i have ever heard from a sky commentary team. I almost muted the damn thing. They put Andy Gray's love of Man Utd to shame.

On paper the most difficult game of the season...I'm disappointed but optimistic at the same time. I never like to lose but in my opinion Nigel Pearson used a key word 'perspective' and i think overall we have had a solid start to the season and I don't see why it wont continue.

I think we've had a run of games that offers a good idea of the championship season - perhaps Two potential promotion candidates [Newc/SheffU], A Mid-Tabler [Ipswich - although the table may suggest different, and maybe Two teams I think may struggle [Barnsley/Swansea]....Saying that knowing my luck by the end of the season Barnsley will be being pipped by Swansea to promotion and SheffU and Newc will be relegated. :S

Enjoyable night despite the defeat, we should of scored in the first half and I knew we would pay when we didn't take our chances. Second half was very dissapointing and I can't work out why we played so poorly. A good goal from them and the second half was definetly theirs and they unfortunately deserved the win in my opinion in the second half. ST James' was quality and they view was spectacular, overall a good first half but football is a game of two halves a little dissapointed we couldn't get a point however considering we were two leagues apart I thought we did well.

I was quite worried by Neilsons lack of pace. He was shown up a few times and had to be bailed out by others tracking back.

People are tending to be doom and gloom. Overall we were not outplayed. Apart from the goal Weale had little to do. We have found out the linitations of certain players against a top Championship club. Dany in particular is very inexperienced at this level and much may depend on his willingness to listen. Whether Gallagher is a bad buy, merely been out of position or just needing time to settle in I don't know but I bet Nigel has got a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566