Speculation Nicky Maynard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed that Sven had carry on pursuing Maynard,knowing that his knee is not going to heal properly for another 18 months...talk about a gamble.

hardly a "come and get me", but i sense until he signs an improved contract with them the saga will drag on..and on (end in tears or his 25 goals get us promotion!)

Are you sure you read it properly !?

Yes.

It's hardly a 'I'm happy to stay' ... IMO he's saying he'll gladly leave as long as the club are compensated and it's worth his while. He covers himself very well if a move doesn't happen.

Maynard now thinks he is a £5million player so will not sign a contract expecting Prem clubs to come knocking at his door, and both club and player will be kicking themselves when no-one else offers them £5million!

An alternative view might be that he prefers to wait a year so that the signing club can put more money into his pocket rather than it go towards paying off the Bristol City overdraft.

He still gets a big slice of the fee though, as long as he has not put in a transfer request?

Apparently on twitter The head of Media at BCFC has announced that the Bristol local Rag has had to apologise to LCFC about the story that we have withdrawn our interest in Maynard. Saying that it was made up and not from an official spokesman, and the EP (Evening post) took the story from a source (ie a bristol fans forum no doubt) :) which means he could still be on the radar.

With any luck the story may just of made Brizzle crap themselves, after all we appear to be the only team offering the sort of money they would want for him, so without us they will potentially loose him for next to nothing in January or for nothing next year!! Come on Sven get the deal done :)

Last Edit: here's the link http://twitter.com/#!/bean_head

Last edited:
This is the major piece of our promoation puzzle. We won't get out of the division without a 20+ goal striker. (I.E Scott Sinclair)

Bristol City are an average side at best and from a players pers
who wouldn't appeal to me in any way shape or form at least not from a potential players perspective.

David James was a coup & I quite like John Stead (although he blows hot and cold). I would not put money on them finishing higher than 12th and thats WITH Maynard. Thats my honest opinion. Nicky has been a good servant to the club and they have no doubt improved his career but for me, if the lad has any ambition he would be pushing for a Prem move or to top Championship side. The chairman knocking back bids of £3mill + is simply holding his career back.

We won't get out of the division without a 20+ goal striker. (I.E Scott Sinclair)

Written by foxblogger in November:

"“We’re just a 20-goal a season man away from walking this league,” is a common refrain of Championship fans throughout the country. Over the last few years there have been some great strikers in this division. Ebanks-Blake at Wolves (07/08 & 08/09), Jason Scotland at Swansea (08/09), Kevin Phillips (07/08), Michael Copra (06/07) and Marlon King (05/06) are just a recent few. But the 20-goal a season man remains an unobtainable fantasy at most clubs, and Leicester fans should be aware of some very important facts.

20-goal a season strikers are extremely rare and Leicester haven’t fielded one in the top two divisions since Gary Lineker. In the last five Championship seasons just 13 players have scored more than 20 league goals in a single campaign. Only three of them played for promoted teams.

Indeed, having a 20-goal man on your books isn’t a prerequisite for promotion at all. Of the 15 sides to be elevated to the top flight in the last five years only three of them possessed strikers who had netted 20 league goals in the campaign. Last season holds a perfect case in point. West Brom’s Graham Dorrans and Chris Brunt top scored for Albion with 13 league goals each.

As the weekend evidenced, Leicester are clearly still wasting too many scoring opportunities. They have made more attempts on goal and hit the target more often than any other Championship side, but their return of 23 goals makes them only the leagues’s 13th most prolific scorers.

That said, City’s current crop, and indeed any who might join them, should not be burdened with the pressure of being the 20-goal a season man. The Foxes had 13 different goalscorers in the league last year and it will take the same sort of team effort to make the side climb the table this year too.

The signs are encouraging. Saturday was only the second time in 11 league games that the Foxes had failed to find the net. And, believe it or not, City’s chance conversion rate is improving. After the QPR match Leicester had scored with just 5.4% of their attempts on goal. That rate has now improved to 9.35%. It’s still not great, only Millwall, Middlesbrough and Hull have been more wasteful than City, but it is getting better. Honest."

The difference is though QPR were a side built round a strong defence, we are, or were last season, a team built round a strong attack.

Under Pearson, who also built a very defensive-minded team, I would totally agree we don't need a 20-goal a season striker to go up, but to go up under SGE and the attacking football we play I do think we need a prolific goalscorer leading the line.

Last edited:
The difference is though QPR were a side built round a strong defence, we are, or were last season, a team built round a strong attack.

Under Pearson, who also built a very defensive-minded team, I would totally agree we don't need a 20-goal a season striker to go up, but to go up under SGE and the attacking football we play I do think we need a prolific goalscorer leading the line.

Or just improve the defence.

A lot of defence is about organisation and positioning though. The way we play with defenders who like to get forward, particularly at full-back we're always going to concede more goals than the way we played under Pearson, similarly we're always going to score more goals. i.e. You can have the best defenders in the world, they can't help if their half way in the opposition's half while the opposition is in your own.

Not saying one way is right or wrong (I know which I'd rather watch though), but I can't imagine us having the fewest goals conceded in the division next season, no matter how good our individual defenders are.

Last edited:

This season our back five could well be all our own, and new to boot.
If we can maintain the same 5 for a number of games the understanding will come, and hopefully the number of "silly" goals that was our achilles heel last season, will be drastically reduced.

Also, that article you posted kind of backs up the fact we need a goalscorer, doesn't it? Or a good finisher at least, because it goes on about how we create(d) so many chances but were poor at finishing them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670