Nigel Pearson should he stay or should he go?

should he stay or go?

• keep him regardless of promotion or not

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • sack him at the end of the season; if we dont go up

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Sack him now

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody thinking in the way that you suggest, might think that you believe that all clubs should change their manager regularly and that then all clubs could play in the Champions League.

Definitely not! If you check my record on previous City managers, you have too much time on your hands :)icon_bigg): but, you will find that I have, pretty consistently, called for them to be given more time. It is people, and I am not suggesting that you fall in to this category, that simply repeat the current mantra as to "the best thing to do", without any thought, that irritates me. The implication that Nottingham Forest (with all due respect to them) are in a better position than Chelsea, because of the possibility that they might retain Davies for a while, is clearly ludicrous.

So why have Manchester United managed to surpass Chelsea's honours since the Londoners have spent money galore?

Using one of those clubs as a comparison to Leicester is poor. They have the capabilities of signing world class players. Cardiff's situation last season and now is a far better example.

There is not one simple answer: wouldn't life be great if there were? I am not suggesting that Chelsea's approach is one that I would want to see at City but, if the Manchester United situation was the final solution, why do not more league clubs follow it - and why haven't Arsenal won as many trophies as United?

The implication that Nottingham Forest (with all due respect to them) are in a better position than Chelsea, because of the possibility that they might retain Davies for a while, is clearly ludicrous.
When the journalist said that Chelsea should follow Forest's example, he didn't mean "you should hire Billy Davies and stick with him, it worked for us". He meant "you should find a capable manager and give him time, it worked for us".

I could be wrong, of course, I didn't listen to the programme. Maybe he actually did say that Forest are in a better position than Chelsea because keeping Billy Davies for longer than six months is always going to yield more success than anyone staying a shorter period of time than that, therefore it is just a matter of time before Forest are taking the CL spot from Chelsea. But I doubt it.

Last edited:
The implication that Nottingham Forest (with all due respect to them) are in a better position than Chelsea, because of the possibility that they might retain Davies for a while, is clearly ludicrous.

In terms of number of times being Champions of Europe, they're in a better position no matter what Billy does.
Of course that was under a long term manager too, which doesn't help you either.

Last edited:
And in our case, the thing that we keep doing the same is chopping and changing managers and having the same outcome of getting nowhere

Indeed. Like him or not, he has consistently achieved higher than any other manager for us in the last 10 years or so.

SAF using his managerial skills would have a good chance of Champs Lge success with 4 out of the following clubs:man utd,chelsea, barcelona .bayern munich ,leicester city.
Do not employ him he is rubbish

Untitled.png

From the Newsnow aggregator.

Does the Mercury know something we don't?

Where's the new manager should go thread? We need a poll too!

Last month Nigel Pearson was named manager of the month. This month people want to get rid of him. How absurd.

The good news for the club is that if we did change manager then there are good replacements owing to the stupidity of the Reading and Southampton boards. The good news for Nigel is that apart from a nice payout he would soon find a club that wanted a manager with his record.

Nigel Pearson has had three seasons at the club. The first season he got promotion. The second season he got us into the playoffs. This season we are in the top six. Boards should look at seasons and ignore the silliest cliche in football or in life -"you are only as good as your last game."

Last month Nigel Pearson was named manager of the month. This month people want to get rid of him. How absurd.

The good news for the club is that if we did change manager then there are good replacements owing to the stupidity of the Reading and Southampton boards. The good news for Nigel is that apart from a nice payout he would soon find a club that wanted a manager with his record.

Nigel Pearson has had three seasons at the club. The first season he got promotion. The second season he got us into the playoffs. This season we are in the top six. Boards should look at seasons and ignore the silliest cliche in football or in life -"you are only as good as your last game."

I cannot make up my mind as to whether you are being serious here. Nigel Pearson was manager of the month for winning five games in a row: this is impressive but, of no value if the previous and subsequent results are not reasonably good.

Nigel Pearson was the perfect choice when we were relegated to the 1st Division and did not have large funds. He put together a tight group of players - mainly, without a great deal of talent - and used the "they're all against us" psychology to gel the team. This does not work when the club is dripping cash, and this season, one would have to say has been poor.

If Nigel Pearson is such a talented manager, why is he not constantly being linked with other jobs? I believe that you are a fan of some years standing, you must remember the MON days, when every fan held their breath when a Premier League team lost their manager: I have yet to see anyone express concern that Pearson might be on his way to Reading, or any of the other jobs that have come up. Whilst we're on the subject, may we look at another myth; the great players NP has brought to Leicester and Hull? Whilst it is too soon to judge this seasons purchases, where are the Premier League players plucked from his previous Leicester team, or those glittering stars of his Hull days? From what I can see, few of his Hull players even make their first team now....

Top post David :038:

I would question whether Atkins or McDermott would want to come to us if NP was sacked. After 5 games of the season fans were calling for NP to be sacked, even with us still in the Play Offs they are calling for him to be sacked.

Would you go to a job where you are only given 1 season to gain promotion and even if you are in the play offs fans will still be calling for you to be sacked?

I cannot make up my mind as to whether you are being serious here. Nigel Pearson was manager of the month for winning five games in a row: this is impressive but, of no value if the previous and subsequent results are not reasonably good.

Nigel Pearson was the perfect choice when we were relegated to the 1st Division and did not have large funds. He put together a tight group of players - mainly, without a great deal of talent - and used the "they're all against us" psychology to gel the team. This does not work when the club is dripping cash, and this season, one would have to say has been poor.

If Nigel Pearson is such a talented manager, why is he not constantly being linked with other jobs? I believe that you are a fan of some years standing, you must remember the MON days, when every fan held their breath when a Premier League team lost their manager: I have yet to see anyone express concern that Pearson might be on his way to Reading, or any of the other jobs that have come up. Whilst we're on the subject, may we look at another myth; the great players NP has brought to Leicester and Hull? Whilst it is too soon to judge this seasons purchases, where are the Premier League players plucked from his previous Leicester team, or those glittering stars of his Hull days? From what I can see, few of his Hull players even make their first team now....
The only Premier League teams that could afford to pay him more than he's on now would want a manager with Premier League or similar experience. He came back for the money don't you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669