Nigel Pearson should he stay or should he go?

should he stay or go?

• keep him regardless of promotion or not

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • sack him at the end of the season; if we dont go up

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Sack him now

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair play to you, sir: you have supported Pearson through the appalling run and deserve your moment in the sun. I am annoyed by those who were saying, before the Forest game, that Pearson should go, but now believe him to be the greatest football manager, ever.

Were this to be any other club, it would be interesting to leave Pearson in control and watch him crash and burn (in my opinion) when he faces a more competitive Championship next season; but it isn't. I am genuinely fearful that we could become a Portsmouth, without the joy of a Cup win and Premier League run. Our points total for the last three seasons have been remarkably consistent (67, 66 & 68 points) - we are not progressing and, with our level of expenditure, we either go forward, or fold.

Incidentally, I have yet to see anyone, in this thread, suggesting that we might win the play-off's. The view seems to be that we have done well to get there, and next year we'll be an even better Championship Club: hardly a ringing endorsement of the manager.

I don't think anybody is saying any such thing. I know a few people who hold my own view; that making the play offs would represent progress from last season and falling short would not. That we sneaked in by goal difference doesn't matter. Football is a game of fine margins and we have managed to finish the right side of the line.

I'm sure may would argue that we have done so in spite of Pearson (I'm inclined towards that viewpoint myself) but the fact remains that he is the man at the helm and it woud be churlish not to allow him some of the credit for the top six finish. After all, many of us have been only too ready to emphasise his accountability for our poor run of form. It has to work both ways.

I still have my doubts about his ability to win promotion from this league. However attaining a play off place represents enough progress that the bloke has earned the opportunity to prove people like me wrong. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
with our level of expenditure, we either go forward, or fold.

We have spent less on player transfers this season and I'd be staggered if the wage bill isn't lower than when Pearson arrived. If we can somehow offload some of the other fringe earners then it will be even better. One thing you can't level at Pearson is over-spending.

I would assume the absence of Konchesky from the team?
I may have missed it but what was the reason given for his absence?

He posted on Twitter that he is injured. I assumed Brown Nose meant Wellens, yet another over-aged has been who apparently Pearson should have kept happy.

I would assume the absence of Konchesky from the team?
I may have missed it but what was the reason given for his absence?

Needed a hernia operation.

Nothing to do with any supposed fall-out. Nothing to see here, move along now...............

You couldn't leave it even 24 hours, could you?

Over 400 words of stuff that you have told us again and again. Copy-and-paste could be your friend.

I didn't start it and had no intention of returning to the issue this side of the end of the season and I agree that there is little to be gained from regurgitating these issues today. However, several posters chose to take yesterday's outcome as a reason to return to this thread with 'told ya so' type of posts. Many of whom also repeated themselves. Have I not a right of reply to this?

There have been far, far more posts from some of his apologists repeating themselves that simply don't get the sort of response I (and a few others) get. I accept that some of my points have been made before, but there were also points made in the post that I haven't made before. Few others can say the same.

Uh oh, the NP apologists are back.

So the random factors such as Bolton bottling it in the second half or Florist leaving one defender to mark four of our attackers in injury time makes all the difference to the future direction of our club, does it?

Is it not of significance that yet another one of our senior players is currently banned from the club for daring to question the arrogant prick (the issue has been widely reported elsewhere)? What about the fact that we've continually shown relegation form for several months now? What about the routinely absurd selections, tactical ignorance, bizarre substitutions and gutless, small minded behaviour (snubbing RL again yesterday because IS dared to challenge him the previous week)?

We have a significantly better squad than anyone else in the play offs and, for me, much better than Hull and, at least, on a par with Cardiff. Our wage bill and financial edge also gives us a clear advantage over most. Yet we're to be grateful for scrambling for a play off place? Just like the last time he was here, we've reached the play offs with a divided squad largely because of the incompetence of one man (together with his utterly pointless assistant Shakespeare). This will be a much bigger obstacle for our players than Watford, and potentially Brighton/Palace.

Make no mistake, win or lose, after these play offs, he needs to be sacked immediately afterwards. I cheered as much as anyone yesterday but along with most other supporters, I wasn't singing our managers name. We can do much, much better than him in the Championship, let alone the Premier League. Yesterday changes nothing in that regard.

The first time he was our manager he did a good job in League One and for the bulk of the first Championship season. But his deficiencies had been exposed by the end of that season, which in part, led to him being replaced. Far too little is also made of the fact that we had Chris Powell as our main coach during this period and his impact on our performances and achievements is undervalued by foggy minds. One of NPs key failings since his return has been not appointing a first team coach worthy of the name. If NP could be big enough to recognise this factor and adequately address it, he may be worthy of a bit more time. However, his ignorance is his main deficiency and throughout his managerial career, will inhibit him. By means of comparison, he chooses the ultimate managerial arrogance of signing his own son instead.

Cheer up BN you miserable old bugger. Cold hard facts are over a 46 game season we finished 6th therefore full warrant and deserve our play off place. I am sorry but yesterday Pearson was brave and deserves a pat on the back, for us to hit Forest on a 4 v 1 break meant he was brave enough to go 6 v 9 and back his players to defend the situation and then counter attack to win the game. Any other manager than Pearson and no doubt people would be hailing his tactical genius give the guy some credit.

Granted we have had a really tough time 3 wins in 17 however 2 of these have come in the last 4 games against our rivals for 6 th place after going a goal down early on in both games and yet the players rallied and went on to win. Also over the last 6 or 7 games we have only lost once so the signs are that we are getting back to form. The real damage was a run of 10 or so games but hopefully the owners will continue to back big Nige and allow him to continue his rebuilding job.

BN yesterday was unbelievable and a brilliant way to get into the play offs sit back and enjoy the ride, we are Leicester and we never do things the easy way.

Fair play to you, sir: you have supported Pearson through the appalling run and deserve your moment in the sun. I am annoyed by those who were saying, before the Forest game, that Pearson should go, but now believe him to be the greatest football manager, ever.

Not one single person has said any such thing, not even close

So the random factors such as Bolton bottling it in the second half or Florist leaving one defender to mark four of our attackers in injury time makes all the difference to the future direction of our club, does it?
Yes of course it does, as does the fact that Watford were lucky to beat us because we bottled it during that match, or the numerous late goals we let other teams score. It all makes a difference. And it wasn't random either.

Is it not of significance that yet another one of our senior players is currently banned from the club for daring to question the arrogant prick (the issue has been widely reported elsewhere)?
I assume you mean Wellens? Aside from the fact that you are using wild twitter rumour to support a baseless argument, if Wellens has been acting like a petulant twat (something the rumours also said) then why the ****ity should Pearson allow him near the team at this important time?

What about the fact that we've continually shown relegation form for several months now?
Yet were still good enough for the playoffs.

What about the routinely absurd selections, tactical ignorance, bizarre substitutions and gutless, small minded behaviour (snubbing RL again yesterday because IS dared to challenge him the previous week)?
All very subjective, but don't let that stand in the way. And Stringer is a cock, his questions are awful and if he can't deal with a stubborn person then I doubt he'll get very far in his career.

We have a significantly better squad...
No we don't. We have better first team players, we have a shallow squad. That is one thing he hasn't addressed.

Our wage bill and financial edge also gives us a clear advantage over most.
Again, no it doesn't. Big spending does not mean success, nor does it give you a right to it. It has repeatedly been pointed out that other teams in the top 6 have spent big and have big salaries yet you choose to ignore it for some reason.

Yet we're to be grateful for scrambling for a play off place?
You wouldn't be grateful for gold, you'd just moan it was too heavy.

a divided squad
3ppzm4.jpg

utterly pointless assistant Shakespeare
I'll give you this, that is a new point this time around. Ridiculous and clearly based on nothing, but new.

<dozes off />
By means of comparison, he chooses the ultimate managerial arrogance of signing his own son instead.
Like Steve Bruce did, you mean?

Cheer up BN you miserable old bugger. Cold hard facts are over a 46 game season we finished 6th therefore full warrant and deserve our play off place. I am sorry but yesterday Pearson was brave and deserves a pat on the back, for us to hit Forest on a 4 v 1 break meant he was brave enough to go 6 v 9 and back his players to defend the situation and then counter attack to win the game. Any other manager than Pearson and no doubt people would be hailing his tactical genius give the guy some

BN yesterday was unbelievable and a brilliant way to get into the play offs sit back and enjoy the ride, we are Leicester and we never do things the easy way.

I've been no fan of PEarson but I have to agree wholeheartedly with these comments

My mate who's a Forest fan said Pearson stopped Nugent coming back to defend just before the goal and thought that was an incredibly brave thing to do - the rest is history...

Bring on the Hornrts!

My mate who's a Forest fan said Pearson stopped Nugent coming back to defend just before the goal and thought that was an incredibly brave thing to do - the rest is history...

Probably didn't want to take the risk of a Striker giving away a penalty with a dodgy tackle in the dying minutes, not that we've seen that happen at all.

We have spent less on player transfers this season and I'd be staggered if the wage bill isn't lower than when Pearson arrived. If we can somehow offload some of the other fringe earners then it will be even better. One thing you can't level at Pearson is over-spending.

What is over-spending? If we are to turn this into a Nigel v Sven argument, then I would agree that spending has reduced; nonetheless, Leicester have still been one of the biggest spenders. The cost of a number of deals (not just at Leicester) has not been revealed, but the popular press suggests that we spent £1 million, each, on de Laet, James and Wood; £1.7m for Vardy, £2.7m for Knockaert - that adds to a hefty £7.4 million. The only player to be sold was Peltier for around £1 million.

I do accept that the wage bill will, almost certainly, be lower but, even there, this will surely have involved payments to players leaving for lower contracts elsewhere.

I am not blaming Nigel Pearson, I am simply saying that, with the level of spending, success is an imperative.

This was a great result, but for me nothing changes on the pearson front, he should go .the only trouble is who is there to replace him and dont keep saying martin o neill,he just aint gonna come.

Cheer up BN you miserable old bugger. Cold hard facts are over a 46 game season we finished 6th therefore full warrant and deserve our play off place. I am sorry but yesterday Pearson was brave and deserves a pat on the back, for us to hit Forest on a 4 v 1 break meant he was brave enough to go 6 v 9 and back his players to defend the situation and then counter attack to win the game. Any other manager than Pearson and no doubt people would be hailing his tactical genius give the guy some credit.

Granted we have had a really tough time 3 wins in 17 however 2 of these have come in the last 4 games against our rivals for 6 th place after going a goal down early on in both games and yet the players rallied and went on to win. Also over the last 6 or 7 games we have only lost once so the signs are that we are getting back to form. The real damage was a run of 10 or so games but hopefully the owners will continue to back big Nige and allow him to continue his rebuilding job.

Fair comments that I don't dispute (except the obvious future backing one) and I can assure you that I was dancing around the room as maniacally as anyone yesterday.

How many of your now Premiership squad were Pearson's acquisitions Cafe?

I think our Prem squad will be very different to this one.
Chester,Hobbs,Quinn,Boyd,Aluko,Brady,Meylor,Gedo(poss Fryatt) might make 1st team.Quite a few of those are down to Nige but in fairness many of the players he signed were to try and get us up and I am sure he did not plan to build a prem team around them.
Like all managers he signed some good and some awful players.
I think Nige has some good managerial qualities and I think you will be hard pushed to get in someone much better.
His achilles seems to be in the relationship department.
I think a more flexible 2nd in command to ease disciplinary issues with some of the more wayward players would be useful.
Malky has done a good job with Bellamy and reaped the rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566