Nigel Pearson should he stay or should he go?

should he stay or go?

• keep him regardless of promotion or not

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • sack him at the end of the season; if we dont go up

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Sack him now

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once before the club replaced Nigel Pearson with some designer manager; can somebody remind me how that turned out.

Since Martin O'Neill the club has appointed eleven managers. Seven of them have been poor (not counting interim managers). Only four of them IMO have been good managers though two - Holloway and Sven - did not do a good job with us for whatever reason. The only one who ranks with Nigel Pearson is Micky Adams and I feel that he inherited a better team than Nigel.

The problem comes from a "promotion or sack" mentality . Short term results are what led to Wolves sacking the man most likely to save them last season. It has led to Reading sacking the man who got them into the Premier League and was their best chance of survival thereby following the successful example of QPR.

The important question is whether Leicester are going in the right direction - not in terms of one match or one month - but a season. I believe that Nigel Pearson is a good manager. If we get promotion great. If we don't I want Nigel, Craig and Steve to sit down and work out where we need to be strengthened.

Patience.

Good post David.

Once before the club replaced Nigel Pearson with some designer manager; can somebody remind me how that turned out.

Since Martin O'Neill the club has appointed eleven managers. Seven of them have been poor (not counting interim managers). Only four of them IMO have been good managers though two - Holloway and Sven - did not do a good job with us for whatever reason. The only one who ranks with Nigel Pearson is Micky Adams and I feel that he inherited a better team than Nigel.

The problem comes from a "promotion or sack" mentality . Short term results are what led to Wolves sacking the man most likely to save them last season. It has led to Reading sacking the man who got them into the Premier League and was their best chance of survival thereby following the successful example of QPR.

The important question is whether Leicester are going in the right direction - not in terms of one match or one month - but a season. I believe that Nigel Pearson is a good manager. If we get promotion great. If we don't I want Nigel, Craig and Steve to sit down and work out where we need to be strengthened.

Patience.

David, there are (£)100m reasons why your plea is senseless. Patience is a virtue only when it makes sense and can afforded. In our case, neither are true.

The cost of patience is extraordinary. Put yourself in the shoes of our owners who have pumped £100m of their companies money into the club. There is no other club outside the Premier League that have had anything like this sort of investment over the last couple of years. With the new Premier League TV deal and Financial Fair Play looming, they cannot afford to be patient.

NP came to the club on a 'promotion or sack' ticket and said as much several times on joining. He knows the deal and took it on willingly. He's also being extremely well rewarded for it. I expect he's comfortably the highest paid manager in our league. He had two thirds of a season and failed but was supported. He's now had another two thirds of a season and we're in free fall. At best, we may give ourselves a 25% shot at promotion. In the context of a Championship utterly bereft of quality competition and with financial advantages far superior to the rest, NP is failing miserably.

We can persist with him for the next few weeks and see what happens. Personally, I have very little optimism about how that would pan out but I totally accept the logic of doing it. However, for anyone with marbles intact to take all factors into account and say the man should be retained and backed once again is beyond my comprehension. It is also totally beyond reality as there is absolutely no way the owners would keep him and he wouldn't expect them to. Sometimes in life you have to make a change. Fiddling while Rome burns is not the answer.

I've said before, he's gone regardless. What I consider laughable is that I doubt he was even third choice when he was appointed and I doubt the owners have learnt from the experience.

They will get shot, they will approach people they'd not sounded out before, they will get rebuffed, Dowie/Reid will be unveiled as the men to take the team into the top flight (let's be honest, it really isn't happening this season).

Then loads of contracts will be paid off, a new stack of players will be signed and within two months excuses will be made about "bedding in the new squad" and "building for the future".

Colour me cynical.

Patience.

Cracking post!

I think there are a lot of good posts here now. David has made some good points, although as BN and Mawsley quite rightly point out it is unlikely to happen. I think it's a good debate though and much better than the shouty type posts that happen straight after matches finish.

There is no other club outside the Premier League that have had anything like this sort of investment over the last couple of years.

Any stats to back up this claim?

NP came to the club on a 'promotion or sack' ticket and said as much several times on joining. He knows the deal and took it on willingly.

Can you post where he said it had to be this season? Also why has he got another year to run on his contract if he had to get promoted this season?

He's also being extremely well rewarded for it. I expect he's comfortably the highest paid manager in our league.

Again any stats to back this claim up?

I appreciate that you don't think NP is the right man for the job, and I am not trying to convince you otherwise. However, trying to support that with random facts doesn't really work.

You suggest that because the board has spent £100m+ that promotion is a must this season and if we don't get promoted...they will spend a considerable amount of money getting rid of everybody to do it again next season. This just doesn't make sense.

NP was given a mandate of getting promoted, lowering unsustainable wages, and getting a new squad of players with sell on potential. It Is difficult to do all of these things together. NP has got pretty close this season and by the end of May he might have actually done it.

We are the closest we have been to getting promoted in several seasons and if we do achieve it I just hope NP doesn't hold the 'NP out' shouts (throughout the season) against us as much as MON did.

Last edited:
I've said before, he's gone regardless. What I consider laughable is that I doubt he was even third choice when he was appointed and I doubt the owners have learnt from the experience.

They will get shot, they will approach people they'd not sounded out before, they will get rebuffed, Dowie/Reid will be unveiled as the men to take the team into the top flight (let's be honest, it really isn't happening this season).

Then loads of contracts will be paid off, a new stack of players will be signed and within two months excuses will be made about "bedding in the new squad" and "building for the future".

Colour me cynical.

That seems a fair summary of what we are likely to see. £100m would have bought a decent club already in the premier league with much more chance of staying there (Everton springs to mind). Some absolutely bizarre decisions made and to come I expect.

This £100m figure that keeps being quoted, does that not include an amount of debt that was taken on by the owners when they bought the club? Excuse my ignorance, but have they actually invested that much or just taken it up to that figure? (Even if it is in the form of loans)

Patience.

I am with David on this. We are having a crisis of confidence right now, but Pearson has been doing some of the things he has been asked to do (get rid of high cost deadwood, lower the wage bill and age profile of the squad, build more saleable playing assets, challenge for promotion).

I think we need to see what happens over the remaining games and what he intends to do over the summer (which ever league we are in). I have my doubts over Pearson, but believe we need to give him this opportunity.

The only thing that is a certainty is that Pearson is the manager at the moment, and I honestly think it would be far more productive for the fans who attend games to try and support the team through a hard patch, regardless of personal opinion on the manager.

Everyone who Boo's and shouts 'Pearson out' will not feel a warm sense of fulfillment If we fail I can assure you of that much. They will however look like total tits if we do go up, especially when we have yet another manager who holds a grudge against a large section of our support for not clubbing together to lift the squad at a difficult time.

The simple fact is that we have only 10 games remaining of this pottentially massive season, I do not think it too much for the fans to try and go out of their way to be as supportive and possitive as possible for the remainder of those games, for **** sake let's try and do our part to get into the top league instead of creative a horrific atmosphere and blaming all and sundry for something that has not happened yet.

I truly believe those of us in the ground can make a difference, at least we can say at the end of the season we did our part, regardless of the final result.

We've taken lots of fans to most away games this season and this hasn't helped the teams performance, I think the affect the fans have on performance level is overstated and often used as an excuse when the results aren't good.

Last edited:
We've taken lots of fans to most away games this season and this hasn't helped the teams performance, I think the affect the fans have on performance level is overstated and often used as an excuse when the results aren't good.

I am not really talking about away games, I am talking about the place that we should be picking up the points, home.

Unfortunately the vibe from the fans from the start must make the players feel they are playing away.

I have seen massive up turn in performance when the fans truly get behind the team, especially in the face of advsersity, where we currently find ourselves.

Or we could just continue to slag the players off one by one and totally smash a confidence behreft side before they kick a ball.

If you think neither approach has an effect on players then you are certainly wrong.

2 points, there has hardly ever been a time where city fans have produced an atmosphere that would significantly influence a game at the KP and you are pissing in the wind if you expect the current ticket holders to change that before fortunes on the pitch turn around.

The only thing that is a certainty is that Pearson is the manager at the moment, and I honestly think it would be far more productive for the fans who attend games to try and support the team through a hard patch, regardless of personal opinion on the manager.

Everyone who Boo's and shouts 'Pearson out' will not feel a warm sense of fulfillment If we fail I can assure you of that much. They will however look like total tits if we do go up, especially when we have yet another manager who holds a grudge against a large section of our support for not clubbing together to lift the squad at a difficult time.

The simple fact is that we have only 10 games remaining of this pottentially massive season, I do not think it too much for the fans to try and go out of their way to be as supportive and possitive as possible for the remainder of those games, for **** sake let's try and do our part to get into the top league instead of creative a horrific atmosphere and blaming all and sundry for something that has not happened yet.

I truly believe those of us in the ground can make a difference, at least we can say at the end of the season we did our part, regardless of the final result.

Ok, who's posting sense under Lako's name? Stop it right now.

Ok, who's posting sense under Lako's name? Stop it right now.

Matt, people need to realise that the personal opinions I hold and post about the manager / team / hotdog seller etc that I post on here have no impact on the club or the people in question. This is my place to vent my frustrations and be a realist (not negative ;))

In the ground, I believe the actions of a mass collective of fans can and does have an impact on the team, whether on or off the pitch.

I will always try and support the team on the day, as I believe that has a more positive effect on the oputcome than me being a total **** and picking on individual players vocally for 90 minutes.

As frustrated as people like you may be with my realist views on the club, Im sure you would agree that those views are better shouted on here rather than at the players on the day of the game, especially before and during a match.

2 points, there has hardly ever been a time where city fans have produced an atmosphere that would significantly influence a game at the KP and you are pissing in the wind if you expect the current ticket holders to change that before fortunes on the pitch turn around.

Let's backtrack slight then and stop the booing of players. Particularly when you are 1 down and a player is subbed on.

Let's backtrack slight then and stop the booing of players. Particularly when you are 1 down and a player is subbed on.

Won't happen

There's an established destructive culture of booing everything, complaining at every bit of poor control and misplaced pass, and even the audible collective moaning at every sideways pass (despite the subsequent retention of possession). It ain't gonna change between now and May, regardless of who is/isn't the manager

:038:

(deep breath)... I could not agree more...:038:

Last edited:
Any stats to back up this claim?

Can you post where he said it had to be this season? Also why has he got another year to run on his contract if he had to get promoted this season?

Again any stats to back this claim up?

I appreciate that you don't think NP is the right man for the job, and I am not trying to convince you otherwise. However, trying to support that with random facts doesn't really work.

You suggest that because the board has spent £100m+ that promotion is a must this season and if we don't get promoted...they will spend a considerable amount of money getting rid of everybody to do it again next season. This just doesn't make sense.

NP was given a mandate of getting promoted, lowering unsustainable wages, and getting a new squad of players with sell on potential. It Is difficult to do all of these things together. NP has got pretty close this season and by the end of May he might have actually done it.

We are the closest we have been to getting promoted in several seasons and if we do achieve it I just hope NP doesn't hold the 'NP out' shouts (throughout the season) against us as much as MON did.

NP has gone on public record on a number of occasions to say that his job is to get us promoted this season.

Whilst I agree with your statement that people shouldn't just make up facts and statements, you've actually gone and done the same, saying that NP was charged with the task of lowering unsustainable wages and getting a new squad of players with sell on potential. Where have the owners said that? I think that's actually NP's personal preference more than anything. He wants a balanced squad where personalities and ego don't run riot (apart from his own of course). If the owners thought the wage bill was unsustainable, why offer the wage packages 6 months before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669