Speculation Pearson's Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same was frequently said of those who thought Sven would be an absolute feckin' disaster

Now who was right about that one ?

To my mind, our club was far less stable when Sven took over, which was a much of the problem. Plus he was taking over in a division of a country he'd never managed in.

Just because a similar manager failed once, doesn't mean it'll fail again.

And I'm also struggling to think of anyone better that we're being linked with, although feel free to throw a name into the hat...

I'm not saying that, because that would be stupid

But not half as stupid as suggesting that those who are not keen on seeing Hiddink here are 'mental'. Given what happened with Sven I would say they were being perfectly reasonable

WANTED
Football manager for a Premier League side with Far East connections.

(1) Must have good judgement. This is the most important quality in any leadership role.
(2) Should have credibility for when a player asks "show me your medals."
(3) Should have connections in what is now a world game.
(4) Linked with (3) should have a global perspective for owners who are promoting a global brand.
(5) Should be "a safe pair of hands" with the media.
(6) Should be able to be a calming influence on players who may be unhappy at the departure of the previous manager. Abrasive characters should not apply.

It seems to me that Gus Hiddink is head and shoulders above other candidates. I assume that Steve Walsh Sr is going to join Nigel's next club. There is nothing to suggest that Neil Lennon has the "global perspective."

I'm not saying that, because that would be stupid

Given what happened with Sven...

?

Either way, until I hear a better suggestion, an internationally renowned manager who has managed in this league before and has the best win-percentage of all of the recent Chelsea managers (73%...), is good enough for me, and I think would bring back the buzz around the Club.

I find it interesting that people refer to Sven like his time here was a disaster. It wasn't what we might have expected, but he was sacked when 2 points off the playoff places, hardly a disaster.

I think Sven and Hiddink are very different people, the fact that Hiddink left the Holland job suggests he still has pride in his work IMO.

I find it interesting that people refer to Sven like his time here was a disaster. It wasn't what we might have expected, but he was sacked when 2 points off the playoff places, hardly a disaster.

I think Sven and Hiddink are very different people, the fact that Hiddink left the Holland job suggests he still has pride in his work IMO.

It's more the fact he spent absolute shedloads on mediocre Championship players like Mills, Beckford, Danns, Pantsil, St Ledger and Ball and put mediocre Championship players like Wellens and Gallagher on big lengthy contracts.

It only didn't look so bad because Pearson came in, slashed the wage bill, cleared out the rubbish and built a much better side for less than it cost us to sign Matt fecking Mills and Jermaine fecking Beckford.

Some of the comments in this thread about the potential candidates are totally bizarre.

Hiddink is a legend of a manager. Four summers ago, Chelsea begged him to stay with them. Two summers ago, he was odds on favourite to take over Barcelona. He has always been an outstanding man manager and would be a massive step up from NP for our club. If he's keen on us, we should be very grateful.

For some unknown reason, Lennon inspires zero confidence and much abuse. Lennon is a fascinating character with more depth than NP. As a player for us, he was the Cambiasso of his time. He led the team on the pitch and always appeared to be management material. He is an intelligent and complex character. The job he did at Celtic was good. The job he's done at Bolton is excellent. He inherited a joke squad that were in free fall and he turned them around without any money. I'd see him as a step up from NP too.

Steve Cotterill is someone that clearly has talent for management. He's done very well with a number of clubs and is very ambitious. Were we to have been relegated last season, he'd be an ideal candidate. As it is, I'd not object to him taking over at all.

The reason people are talking about Klopp is because we're exactly the sort of project he is likely to take on next. He is a very unorthodox coach with a style that suits a less fashionable club. West Ham approached him in the summer but he wasn't interested so he would presumably feel the same about us. However, in six months, he could well end up at club like ours.

Allardyce too would be a sensible person to consider. He's just wanting a break from the game so is unlikely to be interested at this time.

Overall, it depends on your perspective of NP. If you put him on a pedestal, anyone else will seem inferior. If you recognise that he really wasn't anything special, anyone from the above list appeals for very different reasons. I'm excited about this list.

Cambiasso is the right man though. Absolutely no question.

Some of the comments in this thread about the potential candidates are totally bizarre.

Hiddink is a legend of a manager. Four summers ago, Chelsea begged him to stay with them. Two summers ago, he was odds on favourite to take over Barcelona. He has always been an outstanding man manager and would be a massive step up from NP for our club. If he's keen on us, we should be very grateful.

For some unknown reason, Lennon inspires zero confidence and much abuse. Lennon is a fascinating character with more depth than NP. As a player for us, he was the Cambiasso of his time. He led the team on the pitch and always appeared to be management material. He is an intelligent and complex character. The job he did at Celtic was good. The job he's done at Bolton is excellent. He inherited a joke squad that were in free fall and he turned them around without any money. I'd see him as a step up from NP too.

Steve Cotterill is someone that clearly has talent for management. He's done very well with a number of clubs and is very ambitious. Were we to have been relegated last season, he'd be an ideal candidate. As it is, I'd not object to him taking over at all.

The reason people are talking about Klopp is because we're exactly the sort of project he is likely to take on next. He is a very unorthodox coach with a style that suits a less fashionable club. West Ham approached him in the summer but he wasn't interested so he would presumably feel the same about us. However, in six months, he could well end up at club like ours.

Allardyce too would be a sensible person to consider. He's just wanting a break from the game so is unlikely to be interested at this time.

Overall, it depends on your perspective of NP. If you put him on a pedestal, anyone else will seem inferior. If you recognise that he really wasn't anything special, anyone from the above list appeals for very different reasons. I'm excited about this list.

Cambiasso is the right man though. Absolutely no question.
Aside from his lack of required badges, like.

Overall, it depends on your perspective of NP. If you put him on a pedestal, anyone else will seem inferior. If you recognise that he really wasn't anything special.......

Exactly. He wasn't the Messiah, just a very naughty boy.

Aside from his lack of required badges, like.
Exceptions have been made in the past, exceptions will be made in the future. The more important thing is to find out if he's ever said he would / would not like to go in to management at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669