People That Piss You Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jelsons - The Building Firm

No problem in laying off 30 odd staff but they are more than happy to sponsor the Leicester Riders for another two years on a six figure sum.
So what do you suggest they do?

Keep the 30 odd staff on, but reduce their marketing budget instead?

Er yes as there cannot be much point marketing a building firm for the next couple of years. :102:

Nor round here, Leroy.

Seems to be booming at the minute.

Nor round here, Leroy.

Seems to be booming at the minute.

I’m not sure booming is the right word for it but in many areas the slow down has been grossly exaggerated. The flat market is almost non-existent in some areas, but the market for (relatively) cheap 2 bed starter homes is absolutely booming. Whilst it is true that many of the big boys are saving up sites, this is nothing new as this is what they do anyway, they all have land banks that they sit around on for years knowing at some point that, that will be the area to be building in.

I’m not sure booming is the right word for it but in many areas the slow down has been grossly exaggerated. The flat market is almost non-existent in some areas, but the market for (relatively) cheap 2 bed starter homes is absolutely booming. Whilst it is true that many of the big boys are saving up sites, this is nothing new as this is what they do anyway, they all have land banks that they sit around on for years knowing at some point that, that will be the area to be building in.
We currently have various new estates going up in and around Melton.

I know of many builders, including the largest in the UK have ceased new developments. Once their exisiting sites are complete thats it for the moment.

I think it's insulting. It's the first steps to winding down the Building side of the company and they decide to keep a basketball club afloat with money which could be used elsewhere. When the shit hit's the fan, surely the marketing budget is the first thing to go. Or maybe I am being naive. Rather than keeping staff, they would rather keep face with a Basketball team.

only 30? My lot are laying off 600

It's the first step of many on the building arm - Jelson have a lot of rented properties and also quarrying to fall back on. But a lot of the builders we work with are generally booked up solid - there's a couple who are refusing to quote but then at the other end, there is a maintanance firm laying off. (Not just Jellies)

Last edited:
I think it's insulting. It's the first steps to winding down the Building side of the company and they decide to keep a basketball club afloat with money which could be used elsewhere. When the shit hit's the fan, surely the marketing budget is the first thing to go
It's always insulting to lose a job, but that's life. The business owner is there to make money, not friends. The employer/employee relationship is symbiotic one, and shouldn't be confused with an emotional one.

If all thirty of those employees found jobs last week that were paid twice as much, I suspect most of them would have taken them without a second thought for loyalty to their employer.

As for the marketing budget, all industries/business are different and have different operating procedures. Some may increase their budget in slower times, others may cut them. There is no clear 100% defo answer.

Indeed but the timing might have been thought about. :icon_wink
So when BT, Boots and the like lay people off, they should suspend their marketing campaigns to avoid upsetting them?

So when BT, Boots and the like lay people off, they should suspend their marketing campaigns to avoid upsetting them?

Yes they should, the heartless bastards. :icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Tottenham 610