PES v Fifa-the 2009 battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a ps3 on friday with fifa 09. I like, but im getting pes too. Downloading the demo right now!

Right then here is my in-depth review! (based on the 360 version played on the highest difficulty of course)

First and foremost you cannot accuse PES 2009 of simply being the same game but with updated transfers (a few of which you'll have to do yourself such as berbatov to man utd robinho to man city etc). The gameplay isn't majorly different but there are some big differences from previous years. First and foremost you can no longer beast past players with strength alone. This is arguably a good thing as it became to easy to just give the ball to drogba and run through on goal safe in the knowledge no-one could knock him off the ball. Don't get me wrong players still have a strength advantage but its been toned down a bit. Ultimately this makes the game more challenging-you have to work harder to get goals, and harder to get the ball back.

Other main difference is that the right analog is no longer for skills but manual passing. This means skills have now been incorporated into the left analog, which i don't mind, but there still no easier to pull off (though i did manage to beat a player with a marseille turn !!!). Manual passing looks like it could be great, but im struggling to come to grips with it at the moment myself and sticking to the normal passing mode. Another intersting feature is fixed player mode whereby you can pass the ball to a team mate but still control that player whilst the computer knocks it around-if you master this this could result in some oustanding moves !

Other main advantage is crossing has been improved immensly-headed goals and volleys are now a more regular event and aren't as hard to execute as the players seem to be getting into better positions in the box

but there are some negatives. Goalkeeping is quite frankly erratic with ludicrious spills resulting in opposition goals too frequently. This is especially noticeable when a goalkeeper slides in for a 50/50-if the player gets there at the same time as your keeper the ball will more often then not be spilled and lead to an opposition goal.

Shooting has also seemed to dropped in standard imo largely because the ball plays a lot heavier on this game-long distance shots seem to float more which takes away some realism (as of yet i have still yet to score a goal from distance). This does take away alot of enjoyment from the game imo.

Also the other main gripe is the supposed champions league mode, which you can play with any club such as Hull and Bolton... and also the fact that certain cl teams aren't even on the game (most notably Bayern Munich).

Other Positives-Nike boots, Cech wearing head gear, Wembley Stadium, music has been vastly improved
Other Negatives-the menus are now really crap, no longer fully licensed spanish league with some teams licensed and others not(Atletico Madrid however will be available to download ive read)

Overall then i still really enjoy playing pes-you can put together some cracking fast paced attacking football. However there are still some problems which need to be addressed especially as FIFA continues to grow stronger. If your a PES fan you won't be dissapointed imo.

Last edited:
Right then here is my in-depth review! (based on the 360 version played on the highest difficulty of course)

First and foremost you cannot accuse PES 2009 of simply being the same game but with updated transfers (a few of which you'll have to do yourself such as berbatov to man utd robinho to man city etc). The gameplay isn't majorly different but there are some big differences from previous years. First and foremost you can no longer beast past players with strength alone. This is arguably a good thing as it became to easy to just give the ball to drogba and run through on goal safe in the knowledge no-one could knock him off the ball. Don't get me wrong players still have a strength advantage but its been toned down a bit. Ultimately this makes the game more challenging-you have to work harder to get goals, and harder to get the ball back.

Other main difference is that the right analog is no longer for skills but manual passing. This means skills have now been incorporated into the left analog, which i don't mind, but there still no easier to pull off (though i did manage to beat a player with a marseille turn !!!). Manual passing looks like it could be great, but im struggling to come to grips with it at the moment myself and sticking to the normal passing mode. Another intersting feature is fixed player mode whereby you can pass the ball to a team mate but still control that player whilst the computer knocks it around-if you master this this could result in some oustanding moves !

Other main advantage is crossing has been improved immensly-headed goals and volleys are now a more regular event and aren't as hard to execute as the players seem to be getting into better positions in the box

but there are some negatives. Goalkeeping is quite frankly erratic with ludicrious spills resulting in opposition goals too frequently. This is especially noticeable when a goalkeeper slides in for a 50/50-if the player gets there at the same time as your keeper the ball will more often then not be spilled and lead to an opposition goal.

Shooting has also seemed to dropped in standard imo largely because the ball plays a lot heavier on this game-long distance shots seem to float more which takes away some realism (as of yet i have still yet to score a goal from distance). This does take away alot of enjoyment from the game imo.

Also the other main gripe is the supposed champions league mode, which you can play with any club such as Hull and Bolton... and also the fact that certain cl teams aren't even on the game (most notably Bayern Munich).

Other Positives-Nike boots, Cech wearing head gear, Wembley Stadium, music has been vastly improved
Other Negatives-the menus are now really crap, no longer fully licensed spanish league with some teams licensed and others not(Atletico Madrid however will be available to download ive read)

Overall then i still really enjoy playing pes-you can put together some cracking fast paced attacking football. However there are still some problems which need to be addressed especially as FIFA continues to grow stronger. If your a PES fan you won't be dissapointed imo.

Good review :038::038::038:

come on Fifa lads lets read yours :102:

Right then here is my in-depth review!

Thanks DD! Is it true that PES has a mode called 'be a legend', Similar to Fifa's be a pro?

My mate seemed to think there would be but it sounded like he was bullshitting tbh:icon_conf

It does mate and its pretty gash imo-i tried it as a central midfielder and all i could do was pass as the stats for my player were so poor! Plus the camera angle is crap. Not great

PS3 or Xbox 360, i cant make my mind up, i need to get one of these, with Pro Evo of course, i have both of them back home in England, but my brother won't let me take any of them, its free to play online with the PS3 but i played on Xbox 360 pro evo version and i thought it was great....now i am stuck and not sure which one to buy,

PS3 or Xbox 360, i cant make my mind up, i need to get one of these, with Pro Evo of course, i have both of them back home in England, but my brother won't let me take any of them, its free to play online with the PS3 but i played on Xbox 360 pro evo version and i thought it was great....now i am stuck and not sure which one to buy,

Xbox live hardly breaks the bank, it's about £36 a year.

I disagree. Ive been Pro Evo for many many years, but I got 2009 on Friday and am taking it back and getting FIFA. As far as im concerned, Proevo hasnt improved enough, and the good things in the last one are now shite, the 'Legend' thingy is ok, but gets boring after a while and isnt indepth enough. I have played FIFA on my brothers 360 and I feel, and it hurts me to say this, that at this moment in time, FIFA has overtaken Proevo in all aspects of the game.

Never thought I'd be saying the above or swapping a proevo for FIFA, but I feel Konami need to pull thier fingers out and really push the boundaries to improve this game.

Does anyone know when they start releasing those patches to get all the official kits? and how do they work can you just download them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669