Post Match Portsmouth 1 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Portsmouth (away)

I'm not saying a point is a bad result but I've seen no improvement in the way we are playing currently and my premonitions about Pearson look as though they are being confirmed so far.

Firstly: what, by the 4 points in 2 games? By the 4 goals scored and 1 conceded? 2 points a game will nearly always get you auto promotion over an entire season. Talk about an overreaction.

Secondly: what were you expecting? This isn't NP's team at all, it's SGE's. Why were you expecting players suddenly to change. If our squad isn't good enough (and it isn't) then our squad isn't good enough. The management cannot suddenly cause player's ability to dramatically improve.

Last edited:

Give him a chance (re. Pearson). What they feck is happening in the world.

Ah, I was thinking of West Ham as well, it doesn't change my point though, which had nothing to do with the number of away games we've lost this season.

A poor game in all aspects first half; think Cardiff away.

Pompey's goal was very fortunate and the second half was a lot more open. Both teams had chances to win. Kudos for Pearson went 4-3-3 at 1-1 and we looked stronger; this tightened up the midfield (who put in a massive shift- Wellens MoM) as they were tiring and gave Danns license as an AMC. Dyer went to the right to tease Mattock and this led to a good chance, Nugent went to the left and proceeded to beat Halford every time.

Hard fought draw, keeps the confidence going with a big un on Tuesday

Ah, I was thinking of West Ham as well, it doesn't change my point though, which had nothing to do with the number of away games we've lost this season.

That's still only 2 away defeats

I'm not complaining about the points haul. I'm not calling for his head. I'm just saying that it was a poor decision to not start Bamba and Pearson hasn't dispelled any fears or concerns that I had when he was appointed. Bamaba is our best defender and he's not carrying an injury. He should have been straight back in, in my opinion but ok I can accept him starting on the bench after a clean sheet in the last match. However, we looked defensively frail and he wasn't even used. That to me says a LOT

The other point about our squad is harsh. We have one of the best squads in the league, admittedly not the best but I'd certainly say 3rd or 4th and we've just underperformed, particularly at home. I agree we need some more width but apart from that we fine in terms of strength and depth.

I'm not complaining about the points haul. I'm not calling for his head. I'm just saying that it was a poor decision to not start Bamba and Pearson hasn't dispelled any fears or concerns that I had when he was appointed. Bamaba is our best defender and he's not carrying an injury. He should have been straight back in, in my opinion but ok I can accept him starting on the bench after a clean sheet in the last match. However, we looked defensively frail and he wasn't even used. That to me says a LOT

The other point about our squad is harsh. We have one of the best squads in the league, admittedly not the best but I'd certainly say 3rd or 4th and we've just underperformed, particularly at home. I agree we need some more width but apart from that we fine in terms of strength and depth.

So defensively frail that we conceded one goal after a clean sheet? Bamba had no right to go back into the squad after missing out due to poor discipline. Other than Bamba not being used, what other concerns did you have that Person hasn't addressed?

Last edited:

In terms of quantity we may have one of the best squads, yes, but that's exactly it, SGE went for quantity over quality. We just have a squad full of a lot of similar and average Championship players.

Yes, we have very good cover all over the pitch and players who can come in for injuries, but it's just a load of average Championship players all covering each other.

Just because we have so many players of similar abilities who can come in to cover does not hide the face our starting xi is very average and for it to be sitting 9th or 10th in the Championship is about right, certainly, either on paper or from what we've seen on the pitch, it is not one which should be sitting 3rd or 4th in the Championship and tbh, I'm scratching my head as to how after 3 months, people still think we have the players which should be challenging for automatic promotion.

Last edited:

Does anybody need a cuddle? Shall we have group hug?

So defensively frail that we conceded one goal after a clean sheet? Bamba had no right to go back into the squad after missing out due to poor discipline. Other than Bamba not being used, what other concerns did you have that Person hasn't addressed?

Are you serious? how many manager's leave out their best defender when they are back from suspension from accumulating 5 yellow cards? That's a ridiculous point! Defenders always pick up more yellow cards than other members of the squad because they have to make more tackles. He didn't get sent off like Mills did and yet he came straight back in. You're talking bollocks

Are you serious? how many manager's leave out their best defender when they are back from suspension from accumulating 5 yellow cards? That's a ridiculous point! Defenders always pick up more yellow cards than other members of the squad because they have to make more tackles. He didn't get sent off like Mills did and yet he came straight back in. You're talking bollocks

No. You are. Really.

As are you expecting a manager to change a winning team's defence after keeping a clean sheet. I still wouldn't bring him back after today.

Win 3-0 and change the team? If Bamba had played and we had lost, Pearson would have got slaughtered.

Last edited:

I think Bamba is a very good player but he can sit on the bench until he deserves to get his chance.

Interesting that when Mills was on RL earlier he was asked about the Blackpool game and preparations being made about how to play them and he mentioned that it wasn't so about that anymore but how we can influence the game and this was a refreshing change (i.e. from Sven's days). Does this once more say more about the way Sven approached games and that now under Nigel we will be a much tighter ship like we were today (other than giving away an unlucky goal) as some others have said we may well have lost that type of game under Sven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669