Portsmouth (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not see why people are blaming Bruma who I thought played well. I understand that Vitor played well against Scunthorpe but we were up against a much better team today and if Sven considers Bruma a better player I accept his judgement.

I don't think people are blaming Bruma. More that despite the oppo being crap, Vitor played VERY well last week AND scored two goals. To be dropped after that is ,well, it's an odd decision. But then I guess Sven isn't going to drop one of HIS signings is he? Even if they have been the worst of the four defenders the last few games(and yes, I mean Mr.Bamba)

Two key players are out of form - King and Yak. Of the two, Yak is playing much better yet getting dogs abuse from the crowd. This doesn't make him play any better.

Some players also look knackered (especially Vassell) and we're not getting the run of the ball any more.

The ref was shite. Pompey did another job on us. Teams have sussed how to play us and we need to either up our game or have a plan b.

Very little blame to Sven though from me.

Ricardo was excellent. As was Bruma. No idea why Abe went off when he was the most involved of the midfielders.

Ricardo was excellent??? Are you having a F**king laugh, so with coming out to punch the ball inbetween 3 players and totally missing it had nothing to do with there goal???? Punting the ball up front every time when yak has never won a header since he's been with us. Second half he had nothing to do, did they have a shot on target second half?, think they only had one all game!
And don't even get me started on Fat Yak, i have never known a play to be so dis-interested, he is one lazy F**ker! If he is premiership quality then Steve Howard should start for England next week! Get rid save some money and put someone up front who resembles a footballer rather than the nutty professor

Ricardo was excellent??? Are you having a F**king laugh, so with coming out to punch the ball inbetween 3 players and totally missing it had nothing to do with there goal???? Punting the ball up front every time when yak has never won a header since he's been with us. Second half he had nothing to do, did they have a shot on target second half?, think they only had one all game!
And don't even get me started on Fat Yak, i have never known a play to be so dis-interested, he is one lazy F**ker! If he is premiership quality then Steve Howard should start for England next week! Get rid save some money and put someone up front who resembles a footballer rather than the nutty professor

:038:

He didn't look lazy to me, he got involved today.

However, his attempts on goal were very poor.

The list of boo-boys is getting quite long now; Ricardo, Oakley, Yakubu. Maybe Sven will join them soon in the gloomy environs of the Walkers.

He didn't look lazy to me, he got involved today.

However, his attempts on goal were very poor.

The list of boo-boys is getting quite long now; Ricardo, Oakley, Yakubu. Maybe Sven will join them soon in the gloomy environs of the Walkers.

Correct.

Could this be due to the lack of proper pre-season fitness training?
Swansea faded around this time last season.

I have thought that for a while tbh.

David, I fully understand Cotterill's position but I would not want to watch that brand of football every week. I'd argue your point about us having more talent, Pompeys 11 today had far more Premiership experience than ours.

There's one issue which hasn't really gone away all season: it's just not obvious where the goals will come from. Andy King is the only player who has scored in double figures this season. Until we have a Grant Holt, or a Danny Graham, or a Shane Long, this problem won't go away.

Come one come all.

Its the absolute NONSENSE show!
Dyer was out best player.
Ricardo was excellent.
Gallagher missed an open goal.

Does anybody actually go to the games?

We dont deserve to be in the playoffs, why should we ? All the teams above us bar Forest deserve it more and 3 of them have beaten us comfortably in the last month.

Im sorry, but when things go against us SVEN does not have a plan B. In his post match interview he tried his best to stay positive but he came across as a liar. Bouma is NOT our best player, he may be in 4 years but right now and at this level we need to be playing our form players. Not who we think might be winning stuff with Chelsea,Man City and the like. I have total respect towards the bloke after he dragged us out of the shit that Sousa (and the people who put him in charge) left us in. BUT the man has made mistakes, and I for one have gotten rid of my blinkers.

Im in a ****ing foul mood. Cheers City !!!!:mad:

Agree that some of our players look knackered in recent weeks and need a rest. I usually hate international breaks, but I think this one could do us a favour.

Last edited:
28 mornings ago, 1 point off the playoffs, 4 points off an automatic spot.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:
I can see meself getting into a slanging match with the twat with the wife and kids before the season ends.
For the last 10 minutes all he did was berate Ben Mee about how shite he had been for us since joining.
:icon_roll

To be fair, Mee had a total mare today. Most of his 'passes' in the first half went straight to the subs on the bench!

Did not understand why Abe was subbed when he was being much more effective than King who was 'absent' for much of the game.

Bamba had a couple of dodgy moments, when he tries to dribble out of our penalty area, rather than just 'hoof' it like his predecessors would have done. But, he never panics and his delivery is usually spot on. He keeps getting away with it though.

Whilst most of the team were not passionate/committed/aggressive enough second half, my patience is wearing thin with Yakubu.

His first few games he showed a lot of skill, strength, guile and scored goals. Now he is not scoring goals and not contributing in other ways. He does not track back or help out in defence. He walks around the middle of the pitch, he is not trying to run into space. What is worse is that the shots he is now producing are not even on target!

Portsmouth had a simple game plan. Do not let us play fancy passing football on our superb pitch. Frustrate, tackle hard, waste time, fall over whenever you can and hope for a counter attack.

Unfortunately this is now the battle plan of many teams against us, and we do not seem to have a plan B, i.e. give as good as you get and chase them down for everything.

Last edited:
The thing about all this "plan B" nonsense is that Sven himself has said several times this team and this midfield is not physical enough. The fact is, we need physical players to match other teams' physical games, else we'd just get out bullied by them.

Sousa put together a team of lightweights, we've known this all season, haven't we? Why then are people still going on about it and asking for us to match other teams' physical play?

Last edited:
Thought we were poor today, but i can't understand the selection of Bruma who is a loanee, Bamba is a contracted player and does not look comfortable when playing on the left of the back two, he is far better playing on the right and was happy with Mee as his partner. And sorry to mention this were we not in a good position before poor old Ricardo came on the scene, should have done better with there goal today I am going to renew my ST this week and look forward to next season

26,000. Appalling atmosphere. I'm not defending the performance and result, but I doubt it helps the players when you can hear a pin drop for most of the time.

I can see meself getting into a slanging match with the twat with the wife and kids before the season ends.
For the last 10 minutes all he did was berate Ben Mee about how shite he had been for us since joining.
:icon_roll

I had a 'word' with a lad sitting just behind me today.

Mee didn't have a good game, especially in that first half. But everytime Mee touched the ball, this lad said "I hate Ben Mee".

I lost my patience, said my piece, and then didn't hear a sound out of him for the rest of the game. He conceded he was basing his opinion of Mee on his first game, rather than anything he'd done since then. He also conceded that he didn't realise Mee had played well at both left back and in central defence recently either.

I can't stand irrational criticism.

Last edited:
Ricardo is a better keeper than Weale. Any fool can see that. Weale is at best a back up keeper for a strong team at this level whereas Ricardo has been a top class keeper for more than a decade.

I'm not saying for a second that Ricardo is at his best now. He is definitely on the decline. However, he is streets ahead of any alternative so why persist with the baiting? The elementary mistakes that have led to us conceding goals recently are not coming from him.

His distribution and command of his area is a joy to behold. I've never seen a keeper of ours do this in over 30 years of watching City.

Sometimes our fans just don't deserve to see quality.

Ricardo is a better keeper than Weale. Any fool can see that. Weale is at best a back up keeper for a strong team at this level whereas Ricardo has been a top class keeper for more than a decade.

I'm not saying for a second that Ricardo is at his best now. He is definitely on the decline. However, he is streets ahead of any alternative so why persist with the baiting? The elementary mistakes that have led to us conceding goals recently are not coming from him.

His distribution and command of his area is a joy to behold. I've never seen a keeper of ours do this in over 30 years of watching City.

Sometimes our fans just don't deserve to see quality.
Correct. Ricardo's distribution is better than most of our outfield players'.

Ben Mee had a shocking first half. Yakubu's finishing was appalling, but I guess that goes for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566