Premier League transfer plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some posts I'm finding a little contradictory.

Our players are not up to the job, but let's go and buy "x" from a.n.other championship team, with no premier league experience, but they can do a job.

In his second spell with us, he's spent transfer fees on nine players. I'd currently consider two of them to be duds - Ben Marshall and Chris Wood. I don't know if we made our money back on Marshall or not and despite some ability, Chris Wood has so far been a disappointment overall. The signings of Mahrez, Knockaert, James, De Laet, Vardy, Morgan and Drinkwater have all been good ones.

In his first spell with us, it could be argued that he didn't spend well on any player. He bought only Tunchev and Adams in the first season. Neither of which can be considered value for money for different reasons (injury prone and useless). He then spent quite a bit on Wellens and Gallagher in year two who both contributed for a while before becoming financial millstones for the club. Both of these could be argued either way.

In terms of freebies and loans, there have been a pretty even balance of stinkers and successes.

Totally disagree.

Both Wood & Marshall have shown exceptional talent and potential at times.

Ben Marshall's form dipped horrendously but before that he was one of our best players. Ok so he never really recovered but we sold him for a profit.

Chris Wood almost single handedly got us into the play-offs last year with his initial form and goals (9 in 20). He has since suffered a few injuries and been unable to break into the squad because of the form of Vardy and Nugent but I wouldn't say he was a dud. Remember he is only 22. We would easily get our money back at this stage and if not he has his entire future ahead of him to improve.

Wellens & Gallagher were two of our better players at one stage. Wellens was literally the Drinkwater of that period. It was Sven who handed Gallagher his ridiculous current contract on high wages.

I certainly wouldn't advocate loads of players for the sake of it. I was talking about adding quality. Once we've lost those that are out of contract this summer and unlikely to stay, we're going to need at least 8 in order to get a squad together anyway.

Remember, we're losing Whitbread, Waghorn, St. Ledger, Phillips, Taylor-Fletcher, Danns and Gallagher (with any luck). We're also far from certain that Schmeichel, Nugent, Wasilewski and Dyer will be here, not considering the possibility that we may sell a contracted player.

Our line up against Middlesbrough first game of the season. I'd completely forgot we started 5-3-2 with St Ledger and Whitbread and no Nugent.

City: Schmeichel; St. Ledger, Morgan (c), Whitbread (Moore 18); Konchesky, De Laet; James, Drinkwater, King; Vardy, Wood (Nugent 61)

Note this really only relative as i was looking how much of a lost the first set of players listed above would be. Answer...not at all.

It's amazing what a season we have had and what is to follow.
But oh how different it was just over 6 months ago in those clammy days of early August. :icon_wink

Originally Posted byÂ*Brown NoseÂ*

In football terms, I think we're in for a truly miserable campaign. 40-1 for relegation is a much better bet than 14-1 on winning the league. I think NP is the only person who is grateful for FFP as it's why he's still got a job and it is his excuse-in-waiting after defeats. I predict that he trots this out for the first time in less than 48 hours. He's single-handedly returning us to tedious mediocrity and I can't abide the fool. I'm also coming round to the opinion that our owners are idiots and our players pampered, gutless, no-marks.

Let the season commence

But oh how different it was just over 6 months ago in those clammy days of early August. :icon_wink

In fairness to BN, there were a few people saying similar things in August, but at least he's still here and giving praise where it is deserved. There are other posters who have simply disappeared.

In fairness to BN, there were a few people saying similar things in August, but at least he's still here and giving praise where it is deserved. There are other posters who have simply disappeared.
Agreed. It's allowed to change opinion and BN has done that in style.

But I also think BN will agree that it is quite amusing to look back at that post now.

I think this thread is the best. http://talkingballs.co.uk/showthread.php/36428-Where-will-we-end-up?
We were all so positive!

Pearson is doomed in Jeff's eyes.

Will Pearson still be in charge?: He will be for the final game of the season. But he'll have to win the play-offs if he wants to stay any longer.

Thaisweetchilli guessed we'd finish top!

Final league position: 1st
Top goalscorer (+ no of goals): Wood (19)
Player of the season: Knockaert
Biggest disappointment*: Marshall
Most improved player: Schlupp
Biggest victory: Milwall (H) 6-0
Will Pearson still be in charge?: Yes
Will the Prediction League be a success?: Probably not.

Championship winners: Leicester
Promoted teams: QPR, Brighton
Relegated teams: Yeovil, Bournemouth, Derby

This just gets better...

Mawsley posted one taking the piss out of his previous prediction and actually got quite a few answers correct!

**** that...

Final league position: 1st

Top goalscorer (+ no of goals): Vardy (214)

Player of the season: Vardy

Biggest disappointment*: Vardy only getting seven double hattricks

Most improved player: Vardy

Biggest victory: 17-0 beating Man City in the FA Cup final

Will Pearson still be in charge?: Yes, and given the freedom of the city

Will the Prediction League be a success?: **** yea

Championship winners: Citeh

Promoted teams: QPR, Charlton

Relegated teams: Wednesday, Yeovil, Bournemouth

Final league position: 8th
Top goalscorer (+ no of goals): Wood (12)
Player of the season: Schmichael
Biggest disappointment*: Not enough Tits
Most improved player: Waghorn
Biggest victory: 3-1
Will Pearson still be in charge?: I'd be shocked
Will the Prediction League be a success?: **** off.

Championship winners:
Promoted teams: Not us
Relegated teams: Probably not us

HAHA. I'm a twat.

Final league position: 8th
Top goalscorer (+ no of goals): Wood (12)
Player of the season: Schmichael
Biggest disappointment*: Not enough Tits
Most improved player: Waghorn
Biggest victory: 3-1
Will Pearson still be in charge?: I'd be shocked
Will the Prediction League be a success?: **** off.

Championship winners:
Promoted teams: Not us
Relegated teams: Probably not us

HAHA. I'm a twat.

But you did get one of them right.

I think we need to bring back Sven, chuck £80m away on 20 players and add another 20,000 seats if we go up.

Gosh. That's quite amusing really. Well found. Please don't look for any more.

Agreed. It's allowed to change opinion and BN has done that in style.

You know, I really haven't changed my opinion that much. I clearly got our prospects wrong and under-rated NP and his ability to deliver with this squad of players. Guilty as charged. But I'm not convinced yet by any means.

This time last season, all was awful and everything was shite. This year it's all fecking marvellous. I think the reality is that we're somewhere in between. We're not quite as good as we think we are just now but we're a lot better than we thought we were a year ago.

Next season will be the defining time for these players and NP. If they're any good, it will become obvious. If they're not, likewise. I think many will be surprised at 'who is who isn't' once the dust settles. This is really why I'm arguing to strengthen as much as possible. Nobody really knows what's going to happen so the only thing to do is be as prepared for anything as possible.

Totally disagree. Both Wood & Marshall have shown exceptional talent and potential at times.

Objection!

Marshall started shite, had a spell where we was superb and then became this utterly useless, petulant little twat who appeared to have no interest in developing his apparent talent. He's since gone on to be a total waste of space for Blackburn as well. He will drop down the leagues and be a 'remember him' playing for Aldershot in a few seasons.

Wood joined full of fanfare. He scored a few and looked great for about six weeks. Then he went off the boil massively and has now been bang average for the last year. He's hardly played for us in that time and scored very few goals either, mainly because he's been poor. He may turn out to be a good player but he can hardly be said to be £1m well spent right now. I also disapprove of him poncing about round the world playing in half-baked matches for New Zealand. If he did become a key player for us, this would be very unsettling.

Objection!

Marshall started shite, had a spell where we was superb and then became this utterly useless, petulant little twat who appeared to have no interest in developing his apparent talent. He's since gone on to be a total waste of space for Blackburn as well. He will drop down the leagues and be a 'remember him' playing for Aldershot in a few seasons.

Wood joined full of fanfare. He scored a few and looked great for about six weeks. Then he went off the boil massively and has now been bang average for the last year. He's hardly played for us in that time and scored very few goals either, mainly because he's been poor. He may turn out to be a good player but he can hardly be said to be £1m well spent right now. I also disapprove of him poncing about round the world playing in half-baked matches for New Zealand. If he did become a key player for us, this would be very unsettling.

He does drive a nice car though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47