Puel out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never wanted Puel and never thought his appointment would work out. However, I'm more in the camp now that a change mid-season is a bit pointless.

The last two seasons, we've finished with 44 and 47 points. We'll almost certainly do the same this year too. Just too good to get embroiled in a relegation battle but not good enough for anything else. Tediously average.

What exactly would changing Puel for any likely candidate achieve? Maybe 50 points, maybe even 55? Does that really matter? We might as well let Puel dither and drip along now.

In summer 2017, we should have thanked Shakespeare for his stabilising job and appointed a hungry, innovative young coach. We bottled it. In summer 2018, we should have thanked Puel for his stabilising job and appointed a hungry, innovative young coach. We bottled it.

For me, it's all about planning and preparing to make the change we've needed to do at the third opportunity in summer 2019. We need to find the right candidate, and have him primed and ready to walk in before the end of May.

Like this, me.

Although I understand what you are saying BN I have to disagree.

There is no point in waiting until the end of the season as (and as you say) we are treading water. Although I believe we are a couple of players short of pushing for a top six berth we have enough qualitee to do much better than we are now.

Anyone with an acorn between their ears can see we need a striker as back-up (if Nacho can’t be managed well) and an attacking, passing and play-making midfielder.

Outside of these shortcomings we should be performing much, much better. Teams never used to like playing us because generally we gave a good account of ourselves and mixed it up a bit but at the moment our John Major profile is completely stifling some great players.

No one is going to tell me that 6-7 of our players would not walk into any team outside of the top six in their natural position.

We are missing a motivational leader - I’ve met dead people with more get-up-and-go than Puel. He is a ****ing awful manager. Added to his lack of charisma is his distinct pig headed attitude to things. One nil down against Palace and what does he do - he hoists off Maddison: our most creative and accurate dead ball player, this was at best - stupid.

This has been replicated time and time again. He continues to **** about with the defence when there is no need to and appears to pick players based on nothing sound outside of his own deluded head.

We will lose some of our best players if he isn’t got rid off pretty quickly and therefore there is no point in delaying the inevitable.

Send him packing IMMEDIATELY.

Like this, too.

Although I understand what you are saying BN I have to disagree.

Send him packing IMMEDIATELY.

I felt the same way until the tragedy. But who is available that is going to come in IMMEDIATELY?

It's very unusual to appoint someone mid-season that goes on to be successful. It happens, but it's much more likely to be a stop gap appointment - just like our last two.

The pool of managers that would be available will be much bigger and better in the summer. We need a massive injection of energy and enthusiasm into the club. Ideas, innovation, passion, etc.

Maybe someone like that does exist that could be recruited now, but even if that were so, it's not the time to shake everyone up. The club are still coming to terms with the accident and its impact. They're still grieving. Right now, bringing in someone with exactly the right approach might actually prove to be counter-productive.

The other point I'd make is that we're going to lose one or two of our best talents anyway. We're getting used to losing a key player or two every summer - it's happened four times in a row now. We've also got far too many players and need to allow contracts to expire and move out those that don't play regularly. We will need to wait until a new manager is free to recruit a few quality players.

I never wanted Puel and never thought his appointment would work out. However, I'm more in the camp now that a change mid-season is a bit pointless.

The last two seasons, we've finished with 44 and 47 points. We'll almost certainly do the same this year too. Just too good to get embroiled in a relegation battle but not good enough for anything else. Tediously average.

What exactly would changing Puel for any likely candidate achieve? Maybe 50 points, maybe even 55? Does that really matter? We might as well let Puel dither and drip along now.

In summer 2017, we should have thanked Shakespeare for his stabilising job and appointed a hungry, innovative young coach. We bottled it. In summer 2018, we should have thanked Puel for his stabilising job and appointed a hungry, innovative young coach. We bottled it.

For me, it's all about planning and preparing to make the change we've needed to do at the third opportunity in summer 2019. We need to find the right candidate, and have him primed and ready to walk in before the end of May.
I am going to have to wash my mouth out with soap & water, but I agree with every word of this.

I felt the same way until the tragedy. But who is available that is going to come in IMMEDIATELY?

It's very unusual to appoint someone mid-season that goes on to be successful. It happens, but it's much more likely to be a stop gap appointment - just like our last two.

The pool of managers that would be available will be much bigger and better in the summer.
We need a massive injection of energy and enthusiasm into the club. Ideas, innovation, passion, etc.

Maybe someone like that does exist that could be recruited now, but even if that were so, it's not the time to shake everyone up. The club are still coming to terms with the accident and its impact. They're still grieving. Right now, bringing in someone with exactly the right approach might actually prove to be counter-productive.

The other point I'd make is that we're going to lose one or two of our best talents anyway. We're getting used to losing a key player or two every summer - it's happened four times in a row now. We've also got far too many players and need to allow contracts to expire and move out those that don't play regularly. We will need to wait until a new manager is free to recruit a few quality players.

The difference with us appointing someone now and most mid-season appointments is we're not in any particular danger, so any prospective manager isn't coming for six months of the Premier League. Instead they can assess and shape the club over the next 5 months with a squad more than capable of achieving more than it currently is, before kicking on next season.

The pool of managers that would be available will be much bigger and better in the summer. We need a massive injection of energy and enthusiasm into the club. Ideas, innovation, passion, etc.

Fair enough, I can see the logic in all of that tbh.

I’m just so (disappointed)** that Puel has made this team so shite.

******ed off actually**

I agree with those saying that we will be safe, if unspectacular, this season and that it would be sensible to wait until the summer before any change of manager. I also think that our owners sense of honour will acknowledge Puel's genuine respect during the recent tragedy and will not take action this season, unless the situation becomes totally untenable.

I did wonder if CP's insistence that there will be no incoming transfers might be a coded message that the board feels likewise. They may have told him that there will be no new players, but failed to mention that this is so that a new man will be able to shape the team with his choice of player in the close season...

I pretty much agree with the last few posts. Puel should have gone last summer. As long as we are getting rid this summer I could see us hanging on until then.

However... it is very likely that we will be going in to the Cardiff game on the back of 5 defeats in a row. Results can clarify the decision making process.

I truly believe that had the awful accident not robbed us of our wonderful owner, that puel would have been sacked by now.
Surely no successful buisness tycoon would sit back and see a manager ruin his investment.

I truly believe that had the awful accident not robbed us of our wonderful owner, that puel would have been sacked by now.
Surely no successful buisness tycoon would sit back and see a manager ruin his investment.
Stringer was making a big deal of Vichai’s body language towards the end of the West Ham game. He had spotted an exchange of gestures between one frustrated fan and the chairman and seemed to have concluded, from Vichai’s nonverbal response, that that game was the end of Puel.

Stringer was making a big deal of Vichai’s body language towards the end of the West Ham game. He had spotted an exchange of gestures between one frustrated fan and the chairman and seemed to have concluded, from Vichai’s nonverbal response, that that game was the end of Puel.
Surely Top would have been aware of that too?

Schmeichel, Vardy, Morgan and Albrighton are the only ones still here or being selected

So more than half, yes
If you don’t think the ones still here but not playing affect the mentality of a squad then you can’t work with many people, thankfully a lot of them will be gone this summer but really we should probably need to only have 1 left next season, Vardy

This is where I am, I’ve always thought if we replace him in needs to be done in the summer, we need to break the Sunderland routine of sacking a manager in season it doesn’t allow for long term planning or squad building

There isn’t a Klopp out there for us to appoint right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570