Puel out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have defended Puel for a long time as I felt the changes he has tried to make were the right ones, and I was willing to be patient. While I still feel that making our tactics more adaptable and developing young players are the right steps, I no longer have faith in Puel to make these changes sufficiently well to match our ambitions, and even I have struggled to understand many of his recent decisions, to the point where I think he has lost confidence himself.

That said I also think he has suffered like our last couple of managers from a poor recruitment team, and this is perhaps an even more important area that the club should be looking at.

I honestly don't know who would be better, but I think the wrong appointment now could ruin the club, so I don't support change for the sake of it. While we won't match our ambitions, I don't currently fear relegation so as long as that remains the case perhaps the summer is a more sensible to time to make the needed changes.

I have defended Puel for a long time as I felt the changes he has tried to make were the right ones, and I was willing to be patient. While I still feel that making our tactics more adaptable and developing young players are the right steps, I no longer have faith in Puel to make these changes sufficiently well to match our ambitions, and even I have struggled to understand many of his recent decisions, to the point where I think he has lost confidence himself.

That said I also think he has suffered like our last couple of managers from a poor recruitment team, and this is perhaps an even more important area that the club should be looking at.

I honestly don't know who would be better, but I think the wrong appointment now could ruin the club, so I don't support change for the sake of it. While we won't match our ambitions, I don't currently fear relegation so as long as that remains the case perhaps the summer is a more sensible to time to make the needed changes.
Why wait. It very obviously is never going to improve.

And replace him with?

Irrelevant. They are two separate decisions. One isn’t made bad by the other also being bad. Southampton aren’t shit because they sacked Puel. They are shit (in part) because they got the subsequent appointments wrong.

I expect a properly run club to have a constantly evolving list of prospective ‘next’ managers. It’s simple business planning. I expect the same to exist for every playing, coaching, technical and business position. The list should be made up of those whose skills fit within parameters set by the club according to its priorities. They might include league performance, cup performance, style of play, personality; all manner of things.

I also expect a properly run club to dispense with the services of any member of staff not meeting the standards required of them, with the proviso that a level of support has been provided to the individual to help them to meet those standards. Both of these things are pretty basic expectations of any sensibly managed organisation.

I don’t know if either is the case with Puel. I hope that both are and that we are nearing the point at which appropriate support is coming to an end and that a decision to move him on is the result.

My stream I was watching switched to the Watford game and I was pleased.

Says it all really.

If you sack a manager and don’t have a plan to replace him it is a really stupid move so yes my question is relevant

8 goals scored in the last 11 games.

Has he been sacked yet?

It has been a load of ****ing shite since May. Seriously, how much more time will we waste with this guy?

It’s been a load of shit since May 2016, have we sacked half the players yet?
Sacked half the players, no. Changed half the players from that regular starting team to those generally considered first-choice players now, yes.

If you sack a manager and don’t have a plan to replace him it is a really stupid move so yes my question is relevant

Quite. That’s what my post says. But you are not directing the question to the right people. right people. It isn’t for the fans to demonstrate that there is a plan. In the same way that it isn’t down to the customers of a (for example) failing supermarket to have a plan for a new chief executive. That’s what a board of directors is for.

I get that football clubs feel different to other businesses. I feel that way myself. I wouldn’t keep turning up otherwise. But as with other businesses the customer (fan) is entitled to communicate dissatisfaction without bearing responsbility for what comes next.

you mean the same person that chose Puel ands recommended him to the owners?
I mean the same person(s) who didn’t go with any of the above named managers when they, for better or worse, appointed Ranieri and Puel.

Here’s one for BN.

Hey! Hey! Remember winning the league? Who remembers that? Remember when the entire ground shook? Remember bursting into tears? And using those tears lubricate the mechanism on your brass hand? That’s a nice thing to remember isn’t it?

We got so lucky with Ranieri, doesn’t mean that we should give up finding another one though.

He has to go sooner rather than later he has sucked the life and energy from the club, we are flat, the atmosphere is flat and we have lost our identity . This reminds me so much of Taylor when he dismantled what O'Neill had built and we all know how that ended, whilst I believe we will survive this season, that is no reason to keep him as I fear an exodus in the summer of our better players and if that happens then we really could be in trouble next season.

We need to make a change now with the opportunity for the new man to mould his style & build momentum ready for next season. The biggest mistake we made in the summer was allowing Puel to move out Appleton as he was the safe pair of hands who could takeover and give the owners the time to recruit a replacement, the issue at the moment is if we sack Puel and gang today we dont really have someone available to step in as caretaker and with a busy period of fixtures that maybe giving Puel a lifeline.

I never wanted Puel and never thought his appointment would work out. However, I'm more in the camp now that a change mid-season is a bit pointless.

The last two seasons, we've finished with 44 and 47 points. We'll almost certainly do the same this year too. Just too good to get embroiled in a relegation battle but not good enough for anything else. Tediously average.

What exactly would changing Puel for any likely candidate achieve? Maybe 50 points, maybe even 55? Does that really matter? We might as well let Puel dither and drip along now.

In summer 2017, we should have thanked Shakespeare for his stabilising job and appointed a hungry, innovative young coach. We bottled it. In summer 2018, we should have thanked Puel for his stabilising job and appointed a hungry, innovative young coach. We bottled it.

For me, it's all about planning and preparing to make the change we've needed to do at the third opportunity in summer 2019. We need to find the right candidate, and have him primed and ready to walk in before the end of May.

I never wanted Puel and never thought his appointment would work out. However, I'm more in the camp now that a change mid-season is a bit pointless.

The last two seasons, we've finished with 44 and 47 points. We'll almost certainly do the same this year too. Just too good to get embroiled in a relegation battle but not good enough for anything else. Tediously average.

What exactly would changing Puel for any likely candidate achieve? Maybe 50 points, maybe even 55? Does that really matter? We might as well let Puel dither and drip along now.

In summer 2017, we should have thanked Shakespeare for his stabilising job and appointed a hungry, innovative young coach. We bottled it. In summer 2018, we should have thanked Puel for his stabilising job and appointed a hungry, innovative young coach. We bottled it.

For me, it's all about planning and preparing to make the change we've needed to do at the third opportunity in summer 2019. We need to find the right candidate, and have him primed and ready to walk in before the end of May.
Although I understand what you are saying BN I have to disagree.

There is no point in waiting until the end of the season as (and as you say) we are treading water. Although I believe we are a couple of players short of pushing for a top six berth we have enough qualitee to do much better than we are now.

Anyone with an acorn between their ears can see we need a striker as back-up (if Nacho can’t be managed well) and an attacking, passing and play-making midfielder.

Outside of these shortcomings we should be performing much, much better. Teams never used to like playing us because generally we gave a good account of ourselves and mixed it up a bit but at the moment our John Major profile is completely stifling some great players.

No one is going to tell me that 6-7 of our players would not walk into any team outside of the top six in their natural position.

We are missing a motivational leader - I’ve met dead people with more get-up-and-go than Puel. He is a ****ing awful manager. Added to his lack of charisma is his distinct pig headed attitude to things. One nil down against Palace and what does he do - he hoists off Maddison: our most creative and accurate dead ball player, this was at best - stupid.

This has been replicated time and time again. He continues to **** about with the defence when there is no need to and appears to pick players based on nothing sound outside of his own deluded head.

We will lose some of our best players if he isn’t got rid off pretty quickly and therefore there is no point in delaying the inevitable.

Send him packing IMMEDIATELY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570