Random News Article Thread

Is it right for a constabulary to be publishing cases like this under the banner 'Justice Done'?

What banner would you suggest they use?

I'd suggest they do the job they're paid to do.

That's not an answer to my question.

They clearly have done the job they are paid to do (although preventing the crime in the first place would have been preferable); they're now simply letting us know about it.

And that makes me very uncomfortable. It really is not what I'd expect from a professional, impartial police force.

Once somebody has been found guilty why should anybody remain impartial about them?

Once somebody has been found guilty why should anybody remain impartial about them?

Because it's a foundation of a democracy. You're perfectly free to be as impartial as you personally wish, but I think it's very dangerous ground for a police force to tread.

I'm guessing, and this does not necessarily reflect my own views, that having been accused of not doing anything worthwhile, the Police are keen for their critics to see that they are capable of successfully helping to bring criminals to court.

I am also guessing that the Police will see this naming and shaming as a deterrent.

There are no rules or laws that prevent anybody from reporting these convictions (yes, reporting restrictions can be imposed, they just haven't with these cases on the Force's website). But I do find the tone a little condescending, in my own opinion.

My answer is that they shouldn't be using any banner. Besides, your question wasn't an answer to mine.

It was a response to the first question you asked. It seemed to me that you were saying that you didn't think such information should be published under that banner. It clearly wasn't what you were saying and I apologise for not understanding that.

That is very debatable.

Are you suggesting that the detection of crime and the bringing to justice of offenders is not part of the job they are paid to do?

Which I don't believe is their remit to do, especially not in the manner that they are.

What makes you believe it is not within their remit? They've been doing it for a long time now and I'm sure somebody would have pointed it out before now if they were not supposed to spend their money on this kind of statement. What other manner of advertising their successes would be OK with you?

Because it's a foundation of a democracy. You're perfectly free to be as impartial as you personally wish, but I think it's very dangerous ground for a police force to tread.

What is a foundation of democracy? I'm not following you here.

Nor do I see why it is dangerous for a police force to publish lists of convicted people. It is all information that is in any case in the public domain.

Do you also object to Train Operating Companies putting up posters with the names and pictures of people who have been convicted for fraudulent travel?

Are you suggesting that the detection of crime and the bringing to justice of offenders is not part of the job they are paid to do?

No. I'm suggesting that it's debatable that they do always do the job that they're paid to do. Very debatable.

What makes you believe it is not within their remit?

Because they swear an oath to maintain the Queen's peace and to uphold law and order. Nothing more, nothing less.

What other manner of advertising their successes would be OK with you?

None. It should be left to the media to report.

What is a foundation of democracy? I'm not following you here.

That there is a professional and impartial police force in place. Surely not that hard to follow.

Nor do I see why it is dangerous for a police force to publish lists of convicted people. It is all information that is in any case in the public domain.

That isn't what I said.

Do you also object to Train Operating Companies putting up posters with the names and pictures of people who have been convicted for fraudulent travel?

I couldn't give two shits and a **** what train companies do or don't do.

#796 in the series of 1001 things to do with a false leg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14705328

Private security firm G4S has sacked two members of staff who tagged a man's false leg allowing him to remove it and break a court-imposed curfew.

The pair were fooled by Christopher Lowcock, 29, who wrapped the prosthetic limb in a bandage when G4S set up the system at his Rochdale home.

He was then able to remove the limb and break a curfew imposed for offences involving drugs, driving and a weapon.

G4S sacked the pair for committing a serious disciplinary offence, it said.

In a statement the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said procedures "were clearly not followed in this case and G4S have taken action against the staff involved".

"Two thousand offenders are tagged every week and incidents like this are very rare," a spokesman added.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69
10Tottenham 57
11Manchester U57