Speculation Robbie Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a complete lack of ambition.

Yes - absolutely unbelievable that he should prefer to live in LA rather than come to Leicester. What sort of person and family would settle for California and the Pacific beaches when they could have had abbey Park?

I love reading this stuff.
1. A proven premiership goalscorer
2. he's 31 not 41
3. Our plan is to get promoted this season - this isn't a 5 year plan we're working on
4. Intelligent player, good movement, 2 footed.
5. Hunger? Typical Irish fire-in-the-belly player - genetically not capable of not trying.
6. If he helps us get there, £3m and his wages would be cheap.

The only reason we wouldn't buy is because we enjoy playing in the Championship so much.

I love reading this stuff.
1. A proven premiership goalscorer
2. he's 31 not 41
3. Our plan is to get promoted this season - this isn't a 5 year plan we're working on
4. Intelligent player, good movement, 2 footed.
5. Hunger? Typical Irish fire-in-the-belly player - genetically not capable of not trying.
6. If he helps us get there, £3m and his wages would be cheap.

The only reason we wouldn't buy is because we enjoy playing in the Championship so much.

Despite what you are saying, if he doesn't want to come here, there's no point debating whether he's still got it or not. If he's still that good, how come it doesn't seem there was any great interest from any other club?

I can't say I'm in any way disappointed.

Looks like we will be back for Maynard then in the end of this long saga.

I still have a feeling Sven will get his original target, especially if Bristol are still bottom of the table after Tuesday which seems very likely.

So it still looks like we will continue this bloody saga, and go for maynard for the umptinth time .(or maybe he he the yac)

Yes - absolutely unbelievable that he should prefer to live in LA rather than come to Leicester. What sort of person and family would settle for California and the Pacific beaches when they could have had abbey Park?

Dear Redditch

If you could point out the part in my post that suggests I believe Leicester to be a better place to live than California please do indulge me. If however you would prefer to suggest some reasons that prove he is more ambitious in playing football in the MLS than trying to gain promotion to the Premier League in England I would also be all ears.

Dear Redditch

If you could point out the part in my post that suggests I believe Leicester to be a better place to live than California please do indulge me. If however you would prefer to suggest some reasons that prove he is more ambitious in playing football in the MLS than trying to gain promotion to the Premier League in England I would also be all ears.

You are assuming his ambition is linked only to his career, what about his family and other life ambitions?

Ignoring the interesting debate whether living in Leicester is better than Los Angeles (and I know both these places very well) from a football standpoint if he is happy to play in what is an awafl league being the MLS he would have had no appetite to give everything to the cause for promotion. I was originally excited at the prospect of him coming but now I know he is happy to play in the MLS I am pleased we will not be seeing him in Leicester. Maynard or nothing - and we should not over pay for Maynard. Should we get nothing we can get still get enough goals from all over the pitch to support Nugent/Vassell/Schlupp....scoring more goals from set pieces by Bamba/Mills/St Leger is a must.

Reddich and Beighton spot on.

Ambition obviously means different things to different people. Moving a young family to another continent, to broaden ones horizons and have a stab at something different...well I can't argue with it.

And while the MLS is clearly not as competitive as the championship, Keane will face many other challenges, not least being the heir apparent to a departing Beckham as main ambassador for the entire league.

Fair play to the bloke, and I believe it's a bold move.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuume.

You are assuming his ambition is linked only to his career, what about his family and other life ambitions?

Seeing as It was me who commented originally I can safely confirm I was talking in footballing terms. I could not give 2 flying ****s about the personal aspects of Robbie Keane, and I would be unqualified to comment on where he would prefer to live, Im sure many fathers would love to up sticks and move his child to another country away from family, obviously Redditch feels that is a certainty in this case.

Seeing as It was me who commented originally I can safely confirm I was talking in footballing terms. I could not give 2 flying ****s about the personal aspects of Robbie Keane, and I would be unqualified to comment on where he would prefer to live, Im sure many fathers would love to up sticks and move his child to another country away from family, obviously Redditch feels that is a certainty in this case.

So do I.

Last edited:
Dear Redditch

Dear Lako

Yes as Beighton comments - I too was looking at the wider picture and guess that Keene is at a point in his career when overall lifestyle is more important than the respective merits of the Championship and the MLS.

As someone Leicester born and bred but who has visited California, I'm going to have to concede that if i had young kids then Leicester wouldn't win that contest with LA. It may be uprooting them to another country but they sort of speak the same language - tho' there are quite a lot of Spanish as a first language speakers - but overall there's going to be better leisure, probably better opportunities and easier money for the player himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669