Rodgers future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it sounds perfectly plausible to blame a defensive midfielder for being ready to receive the ball and play out rather then Kasper who clearly had a brain fart.

I don’t know where the **** he was kicking it, and to be frank I don’t think he does either.

You don’t change a system when it is working, you manoeuvre personnel within the same but unless you need to (losing or concede an equaliser) why would you?

It was Bournemouth FFS, not Barca, they have come from behind less frequently than a Donald Trump god idea.

Yes, it sounds perfectly plausible to blame a defensive midfielder for being ready to receive the ball and play out rather then Kasper who clearly had a brain fart.

I don’t know where the **** he was kicking it, and to be frank I don’t think he does either.
literally a week ago on FoxesTalk I made a post about how a keepers distribution is every bit as important as their shot stopping if you intend to be a possession based team and that either Kasper has to improve or we need to find a replacement, though it wasn't the top priority. I was mocked for it by one of the mods over their, funnily enough he hasn't posted in that thread since

literally a week ago on FoxesTalk I made a post about how a keepers distribution is every bit as important as their shot stopping if you intend to be a possession based team and that either Kasper has to improve or we need to find a replacement, though it wasn't the top priority. I was mocked for it by one of the mods over their, funnily enough he hasn't posted in that thread since

Amazing stuff

True story as well

Kasper's distribution has been shocking for years. He often makes it really hard work for anyone in a wide position to receive the ball from one of his "passes" or it goes right over their heads and out of play.

Kasper's distribution has been shocking for years. He often makes it really hard work for anyone in a wide position to receive the ball from one of his "passes" or it goes right over their heads and out of play.
at least they are "safe" its the 3 or 4 a game that skid low right down the middle that scare me.

Yet commentators bang on about how good his distribution is

Commentators seem to think his distribution is excellent.... which it can be, sometimes. Other times it's laughably poor.

I’ve calmed down since Sunday and don’t see the value in sacking Rodgers right now. I do think he ought to be on notice though. Results and performances have been crap for a long time.

If the season were to start afresh tomorrow I’d want us to at least be aiming to win a cup and to sneak into the Europa League. I don’t think that’s unreasonable for where we are as a club at the moment. We are well funded, well supported, have won the league and have competed for a place in the top four in recent years. Right now we are seeing results which would see us well off the pace and I’d expect action before the halfway point of the new season if this continues.

One thing I will say though. I absolutely cannot buy into the excuse/reasoning that we’d not be moaning had results been spread ‘evenly’ throughout the season. It doesn’t mean anything. It’s a weak as piss cop out.

This bad run isn’t some sort of unfortunate product of circumstance, or a quirk of an unbalanced fixture list. We’ve gone off the edge of a cliff and he doesn’t know how to stop us falling. The tactical approach is flaccid and the psychology of the team is patently lacking.

We’d be happy if results were ‘evenly’ distributed because none of those things would be the case. As it happens, as lop-sided as it might appear, results are correctly distributed now and are a reflection of those things. We’ve let go of a 14 point lead over 5th place because that’s how bad we’ve been. Being good enough to build that gap in the first place isn’t a very good reason to accept losing it.

We don’t get to rearrange results so suit our arguments. The results are the evidence for a given argument. By all means argue that the first half of the season is evidence enough to support what Rodgers is trying to achieve here. But let’s not go making up bollocks to support a position.

Absolutely. He now needs to prove his worth, starting on Thursday.

PL points for last 19 matches (half a season) - between matchday 16 and 35 - if this was from the start of the season, would BR still be in a job?

1 Liverpool 47
2 Man City 40
3 Man Utd 35
4 Burnley 32
5 Sheff U 32
6 Chelsea 31
7 Wolves 31
8 Soton 30
9 Spurs 29
10 Arsenal 28
11 Everton 28
12 Watford 25
13 Leicester 21
14 Newcastle 21
15 Palace 20
16 West Ham 18
17 Brighton 17
18 Bournemouth 15
19 Villa 15
20 Norwich 10

PL points for last 19 matches (half a season) - between matchday 16 and 35 - if this was from the start of the season, would BR still be in a job?

1 Liverpool 47
2 Man City 40
3 Man Utd 35
4 Burnley 32
5 Sheff U 32
6 Chelsea 31
7 Wolves 31
8 Soton 30
9 Spurs 29
10 Arsenal 28
11 Everton 28
12 Watford 25
13 Leicester 21
14 Newcastle 21
15 Palace 20
16 West Ham 18
17 Brighton 17
18 Bournemouth 15
19 Villa 15
20 Norwich 10
Nope. Get rid.

Look, I think he’s been doing a shite job of late, and I have said that on here, but let’s not be too over top eh?

1 Liverpool 47
2 Man City 40
3 Man Utd 35
4 Burnley 32
5 Sheff U 32
6 Chelsea 31
7 Wolves 31
8 Soton 30
9 Spurs 29
10 Arsenal 28
11 Everton 28
12 Watford 25
13 Leicester 21
14 Newcastle 21
15 Palace 20
16 West Ham 18
17 Brighton 17
18 Bournemouth 15
19 Villa 15
20 Norwich 10

I think he would. Even Shakespeare got 26 games for us in total and he had no track record to speak of. I’d be all for sacking him under those circumstances, by the way. A top half finish would be gone, let alone Europe.

But our owners have a patchy record when it comes to:

a) appointing managers and;
b) acting quickly enough when it is obvious they’re bad.

I said above that I’ve changed my mind about sacking him and would give him the start of next season. I should nuance that position a little. If we perform badly enough in the next three games that we miss out on Europe altogether - which is possible if we give up points to teams below us - then he goes. There’s no benefit to keeping him at that point.

If we qualify for either competition he gets a go at next season, in the same way I’d want a manager who won promotion to have a crack at the league above.

Please take into consideration that I was in favour of dumping Pearson after the collapse in 12/13 and after our cup exit at Villa in 14/15.

Last edited:
I suppose his future depends on what target he was set. At the beginning of the season I think he would have been tasked with Europa qualification or top 8 at least, but it's possible (likely?) This was reassessed at his contract renewal.

It is worth noting though that our spending doesn't match our european ambition. In terms of budget I think we are 9th so I suppose it's understandable that our squad will lack depth and be lacking in some important qualities.

Rodgers is a good coach which still offers the best chance of getting the most out of our young players who are still developing and maximizing our return on the Value range of players we will be in the market for.

Unless Top starts to spend to match his ambitions these frustrations are always going to be likely

Okay let me rephrase. Ihenacho needed to come off. As I said originally, we don't have anybody to replace him. We probably could have carried him and it might have worked out well. He might have cost us the match, we'll never know. My broader point that you appear to have ignored is that we are woefully light in creative areas at the minute. I think we're missing Ricardo much more than even his biggest fans would have presumed. Justin has been complicit in quite a lot of goals/poor play but as other have mentioned, he was never intended to play this many games. Losing Chilwell is another big blow. For some reason, some have it in their head he's shit, but his absence has highlighted how much came down that side, even if it was just to relieve pressure and didn't lead to a cross/goal.

For their first, I'm still not sure why NDidi was so far back to be hit by the ball, not why Kasper ****ed the kick so badly. Soyuncu lost the plot completely.

Rodgers deserves criticism and I'm sure he's getting it behind the scenes, but talk of sacking him off after a year is preposterous IMO. We never expected to be where we were by Christmas and it feels like we've shit the bed, but if the same results were spread over the season and we got Europa, I'm not sure too many would be complaining. Maybe it's poor management, maybe it's a team largely filled with younger players not coping with the pressure, maybe it's the massive break messing with our players more than others, maybe it's the significant injuries our maybe it's a perfect storm of them all?

still don’t understand why you say Nacho needed to come off. Of course we are light attacking options. All the more reason not to sideline one half way through a game he could have helped us kill off.

Regardless of where we finish i think he needs a point if not 4ish before the season is out. Continue down the Peter Taylor trend and we've got an expensive dismissal IMO.

Having had time to calm down and reflect on Sunday, I don't think Rodgers should be replaced. Despite the ****wittery of the substitution at half-time and many other recent baffling decisions, he's got enough credit in the bank to see this through. So much of what happened in that game was down to poor decision making by the players, not decisions made by the manager.

However - should he go, I think we could do much worse than going for Hasenhuttl. Look how Southampton have come back from the worse drubbing of their lives to be one of the divisions form sides. Don't like them, but got to give him a lot of credit for that. PLUS - there's an added bonus. The Saints fans have a thing about Liverpool because they've nicked a lot of their best players and they have a great song that goes something like:

Jurgen's wife's a brass,
She works the streets of Bootle
And when she sleeps with Jurgen
She thinks of Hasenhuttle.

Great to sing when Liverpool are at the KP!

He's actually the only current Prem manager I'd be interested in if it came to it.

Helped by the fact that Saints managers are notoriously easy to come by if you really want one.

Even Everton helped themselves to one FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566