Speculation Schlupp to Manchester United?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they want to look at him as a left back.

I'm pretty sure that Vardy is worse than Schlupp in every position on the field including goal, Vardy has awful first touch for a professional player and poor decision making.

Nice to see people writing off Vardy in the same way they did Waghorn. Only it turns out Waghorn is actually a very good prospect as is Vardy. A few poor performances and people are far too quick to consign players to the scrap heap. Vardy, Schlupp and Waghorn will all have successful careers at this level (at least) IMO.

A strange one. I would love to know Nigel's thoughts on the matter.

Nice to see people writing off Vardy in the same way they did Waghorn. Only it turns out Waghorn is actually a very good prospect as is Vardy. A few poor performances and people are far too quick to consign players to the scrap heap. Vardy, Schlupp and Waghorn will all have successful careers at this level (at least) IMO.

Except Vardy's already 26. Usually, round about the peak age for a striker.

And not really proven anything yet for us.

I'm not writing him off as he is still learning what it is like at this level but I was surprised he came on ahead of Waghorn last night.

I think a loan move down a level would be the best thing for all parties to be honest.

Last edited:
And not really proven anything yet for us.

I'm not writing him off as he is still learning what it is like at this level but I was surprised he came on ahead of Waghorn last night.

I think a loan move down a level would be the best thing for all parties to be honest.

I agree. A loan move to League 1 would be good. If we could get one of the lower Championship teams to take him, even better. But at the minute he'd be behind Nugent, Wood, Waghorn, Futacs and Schlupp too for me.

He's not done anything to prove himself yet really, despite plenty of opportunity. A loan move is best for everyone.

Utd for some reason don't produce really good young strikers. In the past 10 years only welbeck has really made it. Campbell, josh king, mame diouf etc have all found a lower level despite being their best young prospects. Schlupp at u-21 level has a better pedigree than any youngster utd have and so if they feel he can operate better with the training and quality of ball he'll get there then fair enough. I don't think we can say he's not good enough because he's never played six consecutive games to get championship match fit and bedded into the side.

The comparison is totally different. Waghorn came to us on loan as a 19(?) year old and was terrific. He then had a couple of lean seasons before coming back into form this year. Waghorn was affected by injuries, being dismissed by a manager as surplus to requirements as well as being little more than a kid. On the other hand, Vardy is much older and has never demonstrated anything to suggest he'll make it as a league player let alone a Championship one. My personal view is that Schlupp has more potential than either of them.

Have to say I agree with Brown Nose. Waghorn just went off the boil but has shown some of his past quality of late. Vardy looks to be another Ian Hume to me, all effort but not enough quality to back it up. The penalty he gave away yesterday was a really poor tackle and typical of his inexperience against players of the calibre we face as opposed to what he was coming up against with Fleetwood in non league football. I think a loan move to a league one side would do him the world of good in the short term because he isn't good enough for us at the moment but at the same time he needs experience playing at a higher level and it's too early to cast him off completely.

As for Schlupp, it's great for him to get some time at United. Given how Konchesky was yesterday he should probably be starting for us at LB. I think he's better there than as a striker. Although Konchesky has been better since the early part of the season, last night he had a poor game again - he got skinned a number of times due to misreading the game and also gave away some free kicks in dangerous positions on our left hand side allowing them the opportunity to put some good balls into the box. Feckin' great ball he put into the box for Wood's header that hit the post though...

Staying another week ...

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/story-17951355-detail/story.html

Transfer news: Leicester City's Jeff Schlupp stays at Manchester United for second week

Leicester City striker Jeff Schlupp will continue to train with Manchester United until the end of the week.

This is his second week at the Premier League leaders. Initially, it was thought he was only stopping for seven days.

City manager Nigel Pearson would not reveal whether the spell would turn into a transfer deal for the 20-year-old striker, who has been used as left-back cover by City this season.

Pearson said: "Jeff is enjoying himself there and he is there until the end of this week.

"It is good experience for him. Whether it becomes more is something for the clubs to discuss. I have spoken to him two or three times and things are going well."

Pearson has previously stated that United were "having a good look" at the youngster.

Last edited:
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...had-his-spell-with-Manchester-United-extended

Leicester striker Jeff Schlupp has had his spell with Manchester United extended.

Schlupp has been training with the Barclays Premier League leaders since the middle of January and this second extension to the arrangement will see the 20-year-old striker finish the month with Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

"He's stayed there, we've agreed to extend that," Leicester
spacer.gif
boss Nigel Pearson told Press Association Sport.

"I have spoken to him a few times and Jeff is enjoying himself there, things are going well.

I think it's great experience for the lad."

The move is the latest in a burgeoning relationship between the npower Championship club and United, which has seen Ritchie De Laet and Danny Drinkwater sign for City after leaving Old Trafford
spacer.gif
and Michael Keane and Jesse Lingard arrive on loan from the 12-time Premier League champions.

Schlupp, who came through the youth ranks at Leicester, has made five starts this season but the majority of them have been at left-back as cover for Paul Konchesky.
spacer.gif

The Germany-born Ghana international also made an impact at Brentford
spacer.gif
during a loan spell in 2011, scoring six times in 10 appearances.

Last edited:
Charlton also interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21259369

Charlton manager Chris Powell says he is interested in signing Leicester City striker Jeffrey Schlupp if Manchester United overlook the forward.
Schlupp, 20, has been training with the Premier League leaders for the last week and had his trial extended.
But former Leicester coach Powell is keen on the Ghana international.
"I hope it goes well for him, but if it doesn't there is another team in red that he can always wear the shirt of," he said.
"We will just have to wait and see on that one.
"I have kept a close eye on Jeff. He played when I took the development team.
"He played a number of times and you could see him as a player there."
Schlupp, who scored six goals on loan with Brentford in the 2010-11 season, has failed to score for the Foxes this term and has not featured since November.
He made immediate impact when he broke into the first team at Leicester last season, scoring a hat-trick on his debut away to Rotherham United in the League Cup.

Lol nothing more than bluster there. Schlupp would have been loaned out this season if it wasn't for his significant wages which way beyond his current worth. No lower end Championship club or League 1 club can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669