Post Match Sheffield United 1 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best team won, simple.

If we could defend corners it would have been a complete walk in the park.

Still need to threaten goal ourselves more but on another day, we'd have had 3 before half time had Vardy and Maddison shot an inch further to the left.

Today wasn't so much about the performance but more about getting back to winning ways and not dropping points to the poorest team - both things we did whilst also barely being threatened.

Job done, now to wrap up the EL group on Thursday.

Obviously it's nice to grab a late winner and to have ecstacy followed by a bit of comedy genius (goal / petty vandalism) but one thing continues to gripe me. Set pieces. Maddison needs to hold his hand up and say "enough is enough, I'm handing set pieces off to someone who can actually take them." I wish I had the time to create a video of every single corner or free kick from the wing this season, and expose how utterly dreadful all of them are. Seriously, I used to get excited when we got a corner. Now it's a case of "oh no, we've got a corner / free kick in a dangerous position". Anyone in our team could take a better corner, even Evans. What should be a threat is a weakness. Rodgers needs to change this, and the sooner it happens, the sooner we can once again threaten from threatening positions. I would have a lot of time for Maddison if he 'fessed up to the fact that he cannot take a corner. Own it. Hand over the reigns. He can hit a moving ball really well, so why not park him 30 yards out to smash in a rebound? It's a real waste for us and something that has cursed us for a long time now.

Obviously it's nice to grab a late winner and to have ecstacy followed by a bit of comedy genius (goal / petty vandalism) but one thing continues to gripe me. Set pieces. Maddison needs to hold his hand up and say "enough is enough, I'm handing set pieces off to someone who can actually take them." I wish I had the time to create a video of every single corner or free kick from the wing this season, and expose how utterly dreadful all of them are. Seriously, I used to get excited when we got a corner. Now it's a case of "oh no, we've got a corner / free kick in a dangerous position". Anyone in our team could take a better corner, even Evans. What should be a threat is a weakness. Rodgers needs to change this, and the sooner it happens, the sooner we can once again threaten from threatening positions. I would have a lot of time for Maddison if he 'fessed up to the fact that he cannot take a corner. Own it. Hand over the reigns. He can hit a moving ball really well, so why not park him 30 yards out to smash in a rebound? It's a real waste for us and something that has cursed us for a long time now.
Same Joe. I never expect anything and sadly I’m never surprised.

We're more likely to concede from one of our corners than we are to score.

After seeing the winner again, I have no idea why the Sheffield United player didn’t trip Vardy up and get a red card. Strange one.

After seeing the winner again, I have no idea why the Sheffield United player didn’t trip Vardy up and get a red card. Strange one.
Thought exactly the same thing. Would have salvaged a point.

I guess it comes down to split second mentalities of those that will win at all costs (e.g. Suarez handball for Uruguay) versus those that don't have the same mentality.

It really isn't.

It's about 40% what you describe. Another 40% are knuckledraggers bigging up Katie Hopkins & Trump supporting conspiracy theorists. That lot also have a sideline in insisting that nobody on earth could possibly have done a better job of managing the pandemic than good old Boris.

The other 20% are well balanced humans who spend most of their time saying variants of "what the **** are you talking about?" to the other 80%

Much like life really. Only less important.

A fascinating post from Give Us A Wave. Would I be right in thinking that he regards himself as among the "well balanced humans."
It may be because I am a knuckledragger but I fail to see the link between Boris Johnson's handling of the Pandemic and Sheffield United'a corner flag.. As for Donald Trump he is against many things but I doubt if corner flags are one of them.

A fascinating post from Give Us A Wave. Would I be right in thinking that he regards himself as among the "well balanced humans."
It may be because I am a knuckledragger but I fail to see the link between Boris Johnson's handling of the Pandemic and Sheffield United'a corner flag.. As for Donald Trump he is against many things but I doubt if corner flags are one of them.
Or just wilfully obtuse.

• Only Liverpool (19) and Manchester City (18) have won more Premier League away games than the Foxes since Brendan Rodgers took charge of Leicester (14).
  • Leicester have conceded more Premier League goals via corners this season (six) than they did through the entire 2019-20 campaign (five).

Some posts above seem to blame Maddison for the dearth of goals from corners. May I ask a question? At whom should he aim a corner to expect a decent chance of it being won and converted?

Part of the problem must be that our players seem so short compared to many others. With Mendy filling in for Ndidi, I can understand playing three at the back just so that we have a taller body in the team

Part of the problem must be that our players seem so short compared to many others. With Mendy filling in for Ndidi, I can understand playing three at the back just so that we have a taller body in the team

This is true. It's also true that they would need to be extremely wide for him to pick one of them out with his crossing.

This is true. It's also true that they would need to be extremely wide for him to pick one of them out with his crossing.
With telescopic limbs and the ability to teleport.

Also, given the personnel we have available, a back 5 is the only one that makes sense to me at the minute. Fofana had a great start but is only 19 and inexperienced, so he's going to have dips. I don't know if that is why Evans has seemed a bit off it as well, maybe he's being pulled out of position to cover Fofana at time. But imagine a back four of Fuchs, Evans (on current form), an inexperienced Fofana and Justin. It's not a strong back four, even against the likes of Fulham. It's also pretty slow for half of it. Even dropping in Thomas for Fuchs just adds more inexperience. Justing is also better going forward than he is defending at the moment.

Also, given the personnel we have available, a back 5 is the only one that makes sense to me at the minute. Fofana had a great start but is only 19 and inexperienced, so he's going to have dips. I don't know if that is why Evans has seemed a bit off it as well, maybe he's being pulled out of position to cover Fofana at time. But imagine a back four of Fuchs, Evans (on current form), an inexperienced Fofana and Justin. It's not a strong back four, even against the likes of Fulham. It's also pretty slow for half of it. Even dropping in Thomas for Fuchs just adds more inexperience. Justing is also better going forward than he is defending at the moment.
This is my reason for optimism at the moment. Once we have other players back we can play differently.....hopefully.

The other main gripe being corners. I'd be in favour of Madders or anyone else just tapping the ball out for a goal kick. This would allow us to regroup and not be on the back front from the pending counter attack when he crosses to the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4585
5West Brom4573
6Norwich City4573
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4464