Should we give DJ Campbell a second chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that the vast majority on here used to slate Matty Fryatt during his injury plauged season and were wishing he would be sold, it is obvious that keeping DJ is the right thing to do - would certainly rather have him playing instead of Howard.

He only said what every other person in his position would have been thinking, just he had the honesty to come out and say it. I'm pretty sure Jamie O'Hara came out and said he would rather Spurs not get to the FA Cup final so he could play for Pompey in the final, it is what anybody would want but not everyone has the balls to say what they want.

:098:

I think Campbell gives us another edge and was very sharp against Rovrum. He looked the quickest on that pitch and i'd happily keep him if he wants to stay. The youngsters including Verma looked pretty good to.

If he wasn't currently a Leicester player, and sousa was being linked with him, how would you feel?

What an interesting question.

I would think that the last three seasons had in modern parlance "done his head in." He arrived as Martin Allens replacement for Matty Fryatt who did not fit in the managers plans at all. He messed up in the season of four managers though Matty did not shine either.

One post suggests that he has had numerous opportunities. I think he has always been aware that Nigel prefered to have Matty alongside Howard and the pairing worked so well in League One that DJ had no real extended run in the team. By last season he was seen as one to be rid off.
DJ also had to be aware that the crowd were frustrated by his constant offsides. There was even a reference to it in Heroes In Blue and White which was very funny but must have hurt him. The crowd wanted Fryatt and Howard (and that includes me). No wonder DJ was desperate to get away,

Now the situation has changed. Even people like myself who like Howard don't see him as a regular starter. There is a new manager.
If he can get his head right great.

So the answer to Feriol's hypothetical is that of Paulo thought he was worth signing and if he was [not going to cost us a transfer fee I would be pleased with the signing.

However, the reality is that he is already our player and Blackpool want to sign him. If they offered anything over £750,000 I think we should take it.

I think Campbell gives us another edge and was very sharp against Rovrum. He looked the quickest on that pitch and i'd happily keep him if he wants to stay. The youngsters including Verma looked pretty good to.

Does anyone know if Verma's choice of food still smells bad? Could make or break our season

Does anyone know if Verma's choice of food still smells bad? Could make or break our season

Not sure about Verma. cant understand why Crewe didnt want him and now he is getting a start for us. Speaking to some of his "mates" they reckon he never got a shout due to a " racist" element in the training staff. :102:

Not sure about Verma. cant understand why Crewe didnt want him and now he is getting a start for us. Speaking to some of his "mates" they reckon he never got a shout due to a " racist" element in the training staff. :102:

So much for "kick racism out of football".

Campbell is a £ whore. Money is the only reason he's still at City.
He is now entering the final year of a highly lucrative four year contract that he didn't deserve. Fact is, he's become a multi millionaire mainly sitting on his arse here whining or having a bit of fun out on loan.

He knows he's got no chance of getting another good contract unless he pulls his finger out this year. The moment anyone gives him a long term contract, he'll stop trying again.

I say either keep him this year, get some return on our investment and then ditch him when his contract expires, irrespective of his performances. Or sell him on if anyone is daft enough to pay £500k+.

I wish DJ all the best with Leicester next year, there is nothing I'd like more than him to score more than Fryatt and shut some idotic people up. The guys a twat for saying what he did about Leicester, but seriously let it go, he is scoring more goals than anyone else in pre season, he looks sharp and a threat, up the DJ.

Totally agree on both ends, he should have kept his mouth shut but he is definitely the best striker we have in our squad. The question is if we can get that quality (best) out of him. I do believe he's a bit greedy money wise but at the same time I think he's still a footballer and wants to do well. He scored almost as many goals as any leicester player last season and that was at crappy Blackpool, he is the only reason they are now in the prem, look at their team, they are toilet. If he is the only reason WE are in the prem next year then I will be first to suck him off. Go DJ (please dont sign for Blackpool now or i'll look stupid)
Maybe the reason Paolo wants to offer him the extension is so if we do get promoted, we can keep him. He has obviously seen something special in DJ and lets not forget that Chris Weale has said he has learned more in 3 weeks under Paolo than he did the whole time Pearson was manager....... Interesting.

I don't believe that nonsense about training staff. Would Chris Powell fit into the racist element. Jobs in football depend on results. If the team is more likely to win with Verma he will be picked.

It is a sign of weaknessto blame others when you fail at work and claim racism or sexism or "my face does not fit". It takes strength of character to say "I need to do better."

Totally agree on both ends, he should have kept his mouth shut but he is definitely the best striker we have in our squad.

Definitely?

He scored almost as many goals as any leicester player last season and that was at crappy Blackpool, he is the only reason they are now in the prem, look at their team, they are toilet.

Astonishing nonsense. Clearly you saw none of their games, not even the one they lost to us at Bloomfield Road. Are you judging them on their stadium, their disgusting kit or that big pylon they pretend is a tourist attraction?

If he is the only reason WE are in the prem next year then I will be first to suck him off.

Erm... ok then.

Maybe the reason Paolo wants to offer him the extension is so if we do get promoted, we can keep him.

I've seen nothing about a contract extension, where's the story?

He has obviously seen something special in DJ and lets not forget that Chris Weale has said he has learned more in 3 weeks under Paolo than he did the whole time Pearson was manager....... Interesting.

Weale said that? Those exact sentiments?

Yes, after his pre-season form he deserves a run in the team, but to offer him a new contract at this point is utterly ludicrous.

He is on stupid wages, probably twice that of any other player, so it would be ridiculous to extend his contract at this point when he has never proven himself for us, after 3 pre-season friendlies. Wait til xmas time before even thinking about renewing it and on the wages he is on, he will have to have played a big part in an excellent first half of the season before we do decide to extend it.

I don't believe that nonsense about training staff. Would Chris Powell fit into the racist element. Jobs in football depend on results. If the team is more likely to win with Verma he will be picked.

It is a sign of weaknessto blame others when you fail at work and claim racism or sexism or "my face does not fit". It takes strength of character to say "I need to do better."

The poster was referring to the Crewe coaching team, not ours.

From the OS:

On his brilliant free-kick which opened the scoring in the 1-1 draw at Oxford this afternoon, Sousa said: "It was a great moment for DJ. He is full of confidence in himself and he is one of the players in better shape and someone who is going to help us a lot this season. I see all the time DJ with a lot of happiness in training sessions, his enthusiasm, and these are the sort of players I want to work with. He is someone very committed to me, to the club and to the fans and he is someone who wants to do great things for the club this season."

Talk about a Road to Damascus moment. Whatever DJ is thinking or drinking he ought to pass it on to the rest! The guy is performing and does not appear to be bearing grudges.

A goal a game for the rest of the season and he will justify his wages, if they really are much higher than anyone else.

From the OS:

On his brilliant free-kick which opened the scoring in the 1-1 draw at Oxford this afternoon, Sousa said: "It was a great moment for DJ. He is full of confidence in himself and he is one of the players in better shape and someone who is going to help us a lot this season. I see all the time DJ with a lot of happiness in training sessions, his enthusiasm, and these are the sort of players I want to work with. He is someone very committed to me, to the club and to the fans and he is someone who wants to do great things for the club this season."

Talk about a Road to Damascus moment. Whatever DJ is thinking or drinking he ought to pass it on to the rest! The guy is performing and does not appear to be bearing grudges.

A goal a game for the rest of the season and he will justify his wages, if they really are much higher than anyone else.

As much as it won't please many, he will be a great asset if he can reproduce last seasons form. Unfortunately, I still think we a massively short in terms of squad. I wonder if the delay in signings is related to the thai investors. Perhaps Paulo is waiting for the green light to sign players?

I wish DJ all the best with Leicester next year, there is nothing I'd like more than him to score more than Fryatt and shut some idotic people up. The guys a twat for saying what he did about Leicester, but seriously let it go, he is scoring more goals than anyone else in pre season, he looks sharp and a threat, up the DJ.

:038: :038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59