Sousa Leaves Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people consider Irish to be 'not foreign'?

Well Northern Ireland is not foreign is it, as they are part of Britain. The Irish Republic is technically a different thing but I guess because they are so close to home and speak the same language a lot of people see them as neighbours rather than foreigners. That's the way I see it anyway...

Why do people consider Irish to be 'not foreign'?

I was just about to ask the same question.

For anybody that is in any doubt about this, Ireland is an entirely separate country, it is independent of Britain, has its own language, cuisine and culture, it has no land border with Britain and ticks every box to qualify as 'foreign'.

Last edited:
Maybe I worded it wrong. I'm sure there's a connection that links Great Britain with Northern Ireland but not the Republic. Is it that it is part of the United Kingdom?

I was just about to ask the same question.

For anybody that is in any doubt about this, Ireland is an entirely separate country, it is independent of Britain, has its own language, cuisine and culture, it has no land border with Britain and ticks every box to qualify as 'foreign'.

Language: Yes

Culture: Yes

Cuisine: Weeelll? Food - perhaps.

Well Northern Ireland is not foreign is it, as they are part of Britain.

Why do people think that Britain and the British Isles are the same thing?

Northern Ireland is not part of Britain. It is in the British Isles and part of the United Kingdom.

Language: Yes

Culture: Yes

Cuisine: Weeelll? Food - perhaps.

It has some food distinctly different from Britain, not a fan of colcannon and crubeens then Hector? :icon_bigg

Maybe I worded it wrong. I'm sure there's a connection that links Great Britain with Northern Ireland but not the Republic. Is it that it is part of the United Kingdom?

You got it while I was composing my reply.

I've only been to Ireland three times, for a total of about a month. I expected it to be much the same as being in Britain but apart from driving on the left, there is very little else the same. As well as the things already mentioned, the English is not the same English that is spoken here, and probably more different than U.S. English. The currency is not the same. The prices are not the same. It's a foreign country in every sense of the word.

For anybody that is in any doubt about this, Ireland is an entirely separate country, it is independent of Britain, has its own language
Yeh but nobody speaks it do they?

Not that I'm doubting Ireland not to be foreign. Its for the very same reason I get annoyed that Sky give as much coverage to them as the other UK teams...

It has some food distinctly different from Britain, not a fan of colcannon and crubeens then Hector? :icon_bigg

I like colcannon, I had authentic colcannon in a local bar in Leicester called O'Neills. Proper nice craic was had by all

I like colcannon, I had authentic colcannon in a local bar in Leicester called O'Neills. Proper nice craic was had by all

I like colcannon too, and coddle, and Irish stew.....it was the word "cuisine" I didn't like :icon_wink

Yes

:102:I don't know what that means, are you using a different version of English to me
Ok. But the people who speak it don't use it as their native language do they?

And my point, which you cannot understand (bless) is that Sky Sports give as much coverage to the ROI national team as they do to Scotland, Wales and NI, even though they are not a part of the UK. I'm not sure if the Sky we get is the Sky you get over in Ireland (I always thought seeing as it is British Sky Broadcasting you didn't), but if it is then it would make a bit more sense...

Yes

And my point, which you cannot understand (bless) is that Sky Sports give as much coverage to the ROI national team as they do to Scotland, Wales and NI, even though they are not a part of the UK. I'm not sure if the Sky we get is the Sky you get over in Ireland (I always thought seeing as it is British Sky Broadcasting you didn't), but if it is then it would make a bit more sense...

Sky sells subscriptions to Britain and Ireland. The programming is the same, it's the same signal from the same satellite in space.

British_Isles_Venn_Diagram.png

There are still about 20,000 people who use Irish as their first language, mostly living in Gaeltacht (sp?) regions where English will not usually be heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669