Post Match Stoke 0 - Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful stuff. I would love a match report and ratings please.

Hamer: dodgy in spells particularly in the first half but two terrific saves late on. Distribution not great.

De Laet: under intense pressure from Moses and handled it really well. His pace was crucial defensively. Had a late chance that he snatched at a bit. All in all one of our better players.

Moore: superb throughout. Brave, strong, positionally sound. He made an 80 yard run, beat three players and swung in a good cross at the end. It was remarkable.

Morgan: struggled, understandably, in the air with Crouch. Beyond that his usual best.

Konchesky: faultless really. Played well going forward and was sound defensively for the most part.

Mahrez: utterly anonymous. Had maybe three touches. The system in the first half was wrong and he was a victim of it.

King: again, the system left us completely overrun in midfield. Both he and Hammond were very poor in the first half.

Hammond: dire first half. Lacks the pace necessary to be honest. However, he benefited from the subs and looked much improved with the extra man in midfield in the second half.

Schlupp: typical performance. Strong physically, provides defensive solidity down the flank. Made a really important clearing header at one point that most wingers would have conceded from. I like him more than most for the physicality and pace he brings.

Ulloa: quality, just absolute quality. His goal was superbly taken. He had one moment where he pulled the ball out of the air into his hip. Held off Shawcross for a good 5 seconds dropped the ball, spun away and got the ball back. He's a great player.

Nugent: worked exceptionally hard but was very poor in the first half. He does so much work in front of the midfield. He wasn't able to get into attacking positions as much as you'd like bit that was a symptom of the pressure we were under. He provided an excellent outlet late in the game.

Cambiasso: **** me this bloke is brilliant. He played a couple of balls today nobody on the pitch would even think of. His set piece delivery is the best I've seen from us in a decade. If he plays like that regularly there is no ****ing way we go down. He changed the game.

Drinky: played further up the pitch and made some brilliant late runs. He had a good chance to score but was tackled late. He linked the midfield and front three superbly. He also drifted to the right to help De Laet defensively late on.

Vardy: didn't do much but his pace is so dangerous.

I'll also add that our formation for the first half was ****ing shocking. Thankfully Nige acknowledged it and added two excellent players into the overrun midfield. It changed the game completely.

As for Stoke...all this talk of them changing their style is bollocks. Same old long ball shit from them. They might struggle. Moses looks a threat though.

Is also add that our formation for the first half was ****ing shocking. Thankfully Nige acknowledged it and added two excellent players into the overrun midfield. It changed the game completely.

As for Stoke...all this talk of them changing their style is bollocks. Same old long ball shit from them. They might struggle. Moses looks a threat though.

Their forum is pretty funny at the minute. Bleating about losing to a negative team that defended well and little else. I guess most of them suffer collective amnesia.

I agree about Ulloa's link play. Really intelligent and composed, controlled the ball and shifted it wide before moving into the area in the build up to the goal. Really pleasing to see.

Last edited:
Well whatever Nige did at half time it worked. Looked like he changed the two wide players for another two center mids to give us a bit more solidarity in the midfield. Was still surprised King was taken off as I felt he'd been our best player up to that point. Cambiasso and Drinkwater were the right players to bring on and sure things up either way.

With Burnlry and Palace sharing the spoils and Newcastle and WBA both sucking defeats it's made for a pretty good day.

Just a fantastic result, weekend definitely made again by Leicester City.

Seeing Cambiasso in a Leicester shirt is just unbelievable stuff.

In our last three Premier League games, our opponents are averaging 25 shots a game against us. We've managed 23 in total.

Over those games, we've had twenty shots on target against us, conceding three times. We've had eight shots on target, scoring twice.

We're averaging 37% possession in matches this season. Today was our highest at 41%. Our opponents have also had more than double the number of corners we have.

Somehow, our goal difference is only minus one across those matches and overall our results are balanced.

I can't decide whether we're riding our luck or is there more to it?

Before the first game everyone was saying that we were likely to struggle in the defence area. Well, whether it's down to luck or something like skill and determination, we have managed better than I'd even hoped.

It does seem that the players are WORKING AS A TEAM. There appears to be a good camaraderie in the squad like under MON and now that we have a few real quality players and things are looking positive.

Good times? Oh Yes!

In our last three Premier League games, our opponents are averaging 25 shots a game against us. We've managed 23 in total.

Over those games, we've had twenty shots on target against us, conceding three times. We've had eight shots on target, scoring twice.

We're averaging 37% possession in matches this season. Today was our highest at 41%. Our opponents have also had more than double the number of corners we have.

Somehow, our goal difference is only minus one across those matches and overall our results are balanced.

I can't decide whether we're riding our luck or is there more to it?

Interesting figures. One must also take into account how many of the opponents shots on target were blocked before they posed a real threat to the goal, how many made it to the goal and produced "routine" saves and how many last ditch blocks were made. Of the two matches I've seen (Arsenal and today) I don't really recall City riding their luck too much with relation to genuine goal threats.

It appears that City are more effective in the opponents penalty area than they have been.:icon_bigg

As far as todays game, I agree with most of whats been said regarding the first half and second half performances, I was also surprised that King was replaced, however it worked and that is one of the reasons Pearson is in his job. Even at 34 Cambiasso is real class, he made it all look so easy, he appeared to have so much more time than any one else and his passing was excellent.

Last edited:
Jesus, I didn't see that result at half time. Excellent from Pearson changing the system and personnel at half time. Cambiasso class.

Good turn out from the blue army and no sign of the legendary Britannia atmosphere.

Just checked how our start compares to our eight previous Premier League campaigns.

On the three occasions where we were relegated, we achieved one, two and four points from the first four matches.

From our five successful campaigns, we had four points three times and eight points twice.

In MONs seasons, we only exceeded five points from the first four fixtures once.

But before we get too excited, this time last year the Champions of the Championship had five points from their first four games, with four goals scored and five conceded. And they finished bottom.

We haven't been outclassed in any games this season and can only improve. Good times ahead providing we can keep everyone fit and no one comes sniffing for Nige

We were at sixes and sevens for most of the first half, and had lost the midfield battle convincingly. Cambiasso and Drinkwater completely changed the game when they came on, and we were much more settled. Cambiasso in particular was everything I hoped he would be and much much more. We may have taken a bit of a battering in terms of possession and shots against us, but we scored and they didn't.

A mention too for Ben Hamer. I'll hold my hands up, I was worried about him starting today. His distribution is woeful and needs to work on that immediately. That aside, he made two stunning saves at the very end, and was fairly comfortable throughout.

Onwards and upwards :038:

It could happen. Pardew will go, any minute, and NP has been there before. It would be a tricky job for him to turn down I reckon.

Stoke boss Mark Hughes:
"It was frustrating. On the balance of play we certainly deserved something but Leicester, to their credit, got loads of people behind the ball and cleared their lines well.
"We understood what their game-plan was going to be and we need to find a way to break down teams that are resolute.
"But we can't have any complaints about their game-plan because we did the same at Manchester City a couple of weeks ago."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669