Sven

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

Too quiet.Getting nervous about this move now. Need SSN to tell me what they are having for starters and who is paying the bill

Graz

Something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned (although there's like 50 million different threads and I've just got in and seen all this so might've missed something)... If Sven does come in, these new owners must have a LOT of money.

Sven himself would obviously command fairly high wages. But also, he wouldn't come here without the promise of big bucks to spend.
He has changed jobs a lot in the last few years (since he left the England job really), and because of that (although you'd expect it anyway), he wouldn't come here unless he was convinced he would succeed. If he failed here, his stock could fall a lot further. For him to be that confident, I think he'd want good money to spend, to bring in quality players. The owners obvious attraction to Sven is his high profile, and the fact that he could bring in big names.... which again, will take money.

Sven did a good job at Man City, and I don't think that is fair to count as a failure at all. The majority of people were shocked at how he was treated, and that his sacking was ridiculous and unfair. Someone mentioned Thaksin, but was he still Man City's owner when Sven left? If so, I can't see Sven wanting to work for him again (plus we've been told repeatedly that this takeover has no connection to Thaksin anyway)

To be honest, the more I think about Sven becoming our manager, the more excited I am by it.

Leigh

Foxes close on Eriksson

Skysports.com understands that Sven Goran Eriksson has agreed a deal to take charge of Leicester.

The Foxes dismissed Paulo Sousa on Friday morning and chairman Milan Mandaric is now looking to name a successor by the end of the weekend.

It is thought that former England boss Eriksson was quickly identified as the club's first choice and is now close to being officially appointed.

The Swedish tactician is believed to have agreed a two-year contract with the Championship outfit, with the option of a further two years if he can win promotion to the Premier League.

The Swedish tactician could be in the stands on Saturday to watch as the Foxes take on Scunthorpe at the Walkers Stadium, with Mandaric making no secret of the fact that he wants an 'experienced' manager.

Mandaric said: "It's important we bring in an experienced manager and it's important we complete the process quickly.

"We have a short-list of three candidates, all experienced managers, and we have to move quickly after these unfortunate events.

"We must do it quickly to satisfy the needs of the team and the supporters' expectations, within the next 48 hours."

No O'Neill
Martin O'Neill had been linked with the role but there is no chance of him returning to management with Leicester, according to League Managers Association chief executive Richard Bevan.

"I've spoken to Martin following a significant amount of rumours in the media this morning and Martin will not be returning at this stage to Leicester and he's not in communication with the club," said Bevan.

"I don't see Martin going to Leicester City at this stage."

Bevan has hit out at Mandaric for sacking Sousa, saying Leicester should 'examine their manager recruitment strategy'.

Unfair
But Mandaric has now defended himself against the criticism, saying: "I think it's an unfair statement but of course the chairman has a vested interest to protect the managers.

"My vested interest is Leicester City and the results of Leicester City. If I don't have the results, if we are failing, I've got to make the change.

"I'm doing what is the best for our football club and our supporters.

"I don't think you have to be a brain surgeon to figure it out. If you play nine competitive games and you win only one it's not good enough.

"I have a lot of time for Paulo, he's a great man, a good football man, but it didn't work out for him, and I've got to work for the interests of the club, and if we'd continued like that, we'd be working for relegation rather than going up."

Mandaric added: "I don't like to change people. I'm not known in my business for changing people. When I have the right manager I stick with him.

"I had Harry Redknapp [at Portsmouth] for four years, and I'd probably have had him for another 44 years.

"When you have a good person that does produce and give you results, why would you change it?"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11712_6420809,00.html

Love the last quote. Bet Pearson does too.

Last edited:

Brown Nose

Well, well, well. Sven eh.

I've always rated him. Thought he did as well as could be expected with England and more recently Man City.

If he comes prepared to actually manage us rather than be a director of football type, I think this is a remarkable coup.

If he doesn't get instant respect from the players, they deserve shooting.

Bizarre times.

homer

Done deal according to Stringer, the font of all knowledge

Wonderful stuff :038:

Babylon

It'll do for me....

Göteborg
* Svenska Cupen Winners 1979, 1982
* Allsvenskan Champions 1982
* UEFA Cup Winners 1982

Benfica
* Portuguese Liga Champions 1983, 1984, 1991
* Cup of Portugal Winners 1983
* SuperCup Cândido de Oliveira Champions 1989
* European Cup Runners Up 1990
* UEFA Cup Runners Up 1983

Roma
* Coppa Italia Winners 1986

Sampdoria
* Coppa Italia Winners 1994

Lazio
* Coppa Italia Winners 1998, 2000
* Italian Super Cup Winners 1998, 2000
* UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999
* UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999
* Serie A Champions 2000
* UEFA Cup Runners Up 1998

SwedeFox

Pearson is leaving when we are a top club in the Championship and we are linked with managers just about the same standard as Paul Jewell and Chris Coleman

Sousa is leaving when we are doing absolutely crap and the two first options seem to be Sven and Martin O'Neill.

Bizarre indeed - but very nice, of course.

Hazzman

Is he a league apart from Sousa the Inept? Is it incredible that we can even be considered in the same sentence as him (bearing in mind our recent history and current situation)? Of course.

Would he be an outstanding signing? Without a doubt.

Do I want him at City? No I don't - but because of a purely emotive response. I don't like the bloke. He's a horrible, slimy, seedy turd bucket.

I agree with you in part Mawsley. Not so much the personality of Sven but the financial blow for his wages and the Thai's desire to continue building debt.

turnstileblue63

Sven seen with David James at the marriott hotel...according to a friend.

Mawsley

As I said: He's a horrible, slimy, seedy turd bucket.

Maybe, like raw fish and rare steak, I could grow to love horrible, slimy, seedy turd buckets?

Dour

Mandaric added: "I don't like to change people. I'm not known in my business for changing people. When I have the right manager I stick with him.

MOF gets more deluded by the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670