Terry Robinson - Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at it from a business point of view. If they wait til he's found guilty of abusing his customers they can negotiate his departure with a reduced payoff. All about the money.

Post 38, repeated Ridds.

How peculiar.

The owners recruited TR presumably as an independent voice with footballing experience. This made total sense given their collective footballing innocence.

It's always been noticeable that NP rarely mentions TR and was quite cold about his arrival. Who knows how they got on but frankly, it isn't the DofFs role to be mates with the manager and vice versa.

Last night the owners call in NP for a crisis meeting* (about fecking time too) and the result is TR is sacked. I wonder what was discussed at the meeting? Was it one where NP was fighting for his job or a meeting about how to improve the club's fortunes?

If the decision was based upon a lack of confidence in TRs ability to recruit well in January, why replace him with someone with no record outside youth academies? If the decision was based upon NP not liking TR or blaming him for something or other, why would the owners do this? After all, he is their employee, not NPs and this has been pretty clear from the outset. NP is hardly in a strong bargaining position and I can't believe that the owners would effectively strengthen his position at the club in this way. Were this to be true, why haven't they come out with an expression of support for NP?

A convoluted explanation could be that the owners have spoken to Pulis who has said that he'd not be interested in the job if TR was DofF. This would make sense if the rumours of them not getting on together at Stoke were true. Then last night the owners made this option a possibility and simply informed NP that the change was being made. Maybe they also wanted to hear NPs explanations and plans for January and are currently weighing up the pros and cons of making a change. Maybe he was given a specific target to achieve to keep his job?

Like I say, it's all quite strange. Still at least the owners have done something as their total inertia was becoming absurd.

*according to John Percy

Post 38, repeated Ridds.
There's a lot of repeats from where I'm standing...

Asian owners investment delivers promotion to Premier League as Champions.
Momentum carried over with promising start to season including win over Manchester club.
Hit doldrums.
Person responsible for recruitment sacked amid racism accusations.
Replace him with a puppet.

to come......
Manager sacked before January window, FA investigation involved.

Last edited:
All very odd

Main problem is that some players simply aren't good enough, and our summer transfer activity was hopelessly inadequate

Suggests that the fault for this lies with Robinson, or that the owners think he is at fault. If he is to blame, then getting rid of him now makes sense

How refreshing, the DOF is sacked before the manager, wonderful,.

I had my suspicions it was down to this chap that we had only signed 2 players good enough for this league.

Some shite been spouted on this thread.

If the decision was based upon a lack of confidence in TRs ability to recruit well in January, why replace him with someone with no record outside youth academies?

Interestingly, the club say 'Jon Rudkin will assume the responsibilities of Director of Football'. Doesn't say he is replacing TR or whether it is permanent. Sounds temporary to me until they find someone else, or decide they don't need one.

If the decision was based upon a lack of confidence in TRs ability to recruit well in January, why replace him with someone with no record outside youth academies?

Interestingly, the club say 'Jon Rudkin will assume the responsibilities of Director of Football'. Doesn't say he is replacing TR or whether it is permanent. Sounds temporary to me until they find someone else, or decide they don't need one.

All very odd

Main problem is that some players simply aren't good enough, and our summer transfer activity was hopelessly inadequate

Suggests that the fault for this lies with Robinson, or that the owners think he is at fault. If he is to blame, then getting rid of him now makes sense

But that really cannot be true. The recruitment done over the summer was NPs preferences. As each player arrived, there were interviews and comments about how they'd been looking at so-and-so for ages and how pleased they were to get him in. Other staff such as Steve Walsh and Rob McKenzie made clear comments about the arrivals being their targets, etc. I can only not recall such comments about the Man Utd duo.

TRs job has only ever been to negotiate contracts and fees. And if that wasn't judged to be good enough, why not ditch him ages ago because any concern about this sort of thing cannot be new?

Remember that in the summer, it was the view of most people, including NP, that they had a good squad and were only going to add small numbers. I recall stating the we needed many more and getting the usual abuse for saying that our squad wasn't up to it. Towards the end of the window, I think NP panicked a bit realising that he might not have sufficient strength in depth but there was never any indication that the squad wasn't coming together exactly as he'd planned.

Suggesting that this is because NP is blaming TR for insufficient recruitment simply doesn't make any sense.

Suggesting that this is because NP is blaming TR for insufficient recruitment simply doesn't make any sense.
Of course it doesn't.

You don't sack the person who would have been scouting, tapping up and negotiating with your prospective window targets for the last few months, just over a fortnight before the thing opens unless your owners have a plan b, or are mentalists.

But that really cannot be true. The recruitment done over the summer was NPs preferences. As each player arrived, there were interviews and comments about how they'd been looking at so-and-so for ages and how pleased they were to get him in. Other staff such as Steve Walsh and Rob McKenzie made clear comments about the arrivals being their targets, etc. I can only not recall such comments about the Man Utd duo.

TRs job has only ever been to negotiate contracts and fees. And if that wasn't judged to be good enough, why not ditch him ages ago because any concern about this sort of thing cannot be new?

Remember that in the summer, it was the view of most people, including NP, that they had a good squad and were only going to add small numbers. I recall stating the we needed many more and getting the usual abuse for saying that our squad wasn't up to it. Towards the end of the window, I think NP panicked a bit realising that he might not have sufficient strength in depth but there was never any indication that the squad wasn't coming together exactly as he'd planned.

*WARNING, mass speculation*

Last edited:
Of course it doesn't.

You don't sack the person who would have been scouting, tapping up and negotiating with your prospective window targets for the last few months, just over a fortnight before the thing opens unless your owners have a plan b, or are mentalists.

It could of course be because it's already clear that TR has been unable to do deals on targets we want to have completed on Jan 1st.

And what a great job he did with the Ulloa deal. It rolled on for a month and we ended up paying the requested transfer fee. Cambiasso's signing became an on-off saga. We cocked up a deal for Fraizer Campbell and then acted appalling when it came to signing James McArthur.

Robinson allegedly was a dinosaur of football. Would I want him to persuade players like Kramaric, Mitrovic or similar to join us? Not a chance. He looks like one of the old git characters out of Harry Enfield sketches. We supposedly met with Kramaric's club a couple of weeks ago, maybe the impression made was poor.

Last edited:
We cocked up a deal for Fraizer Campbell and then acted appalling when it came to signing James McArthur.

Yes, forgot about McArthur. Thought at the time it was pretty shoddy. Couldn't understand why it was either him OR Cambiasso. Couldn't we afford both?

I haven't seen this anywhere. Have you got a link?

john-percy60-60_2378356j.jpg
By John Percy
6:14PM GMT 14 Dec 2014

Leicester City have sacked director of football Terry Robinson but insist manager Nigel Pearson’s job is safe.
Robinson has been dismissed following crisis talks between Pearson and the Leicester board on Saturday night, with the club bottom of the Premier League after 11 games without a win.
Leicester’s 1-0 defeat to Manchester City has forced the club’s Thai owners into action and Robinson has paid the price for their summer transfer business.
Despite the £8 million record signing of Leonardo Ulloa, many of Leicester’s signings have barely figured including former Aston Villa winger Marc Albrighton and Manchester United’s Nick Powell.
Danny Simpson only made his debut in last weekend’s defeat at Aston Villa while Matthew Upson has not played after suffering an ankle injury.
Ulloa, signed from Brighton in a deal which smashed the club’s previous transfer record, has also struggled in recent months and only scored one goal in 11 games.
Pearson is also under mounting pressure after the club’s alarming slump but his position is not believed to be under threat at this stage.
The 51-year-old was called in for talks with chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha after Saturday’s game and it is understood the decision to relieve Robinson of his duties was made during those discussions.
Robinson’s departure is likely to increase speculation that Leicester will move for Tony Pulis, should Pearson eventually lose his own job. Robinson and Pulis are said to have had a fractious relationship during their time together at Stoke, where Robinson was the academy director.
Leicester sources insist the link is coincidental, however, and stress that Robinson’s exit is purely down to what the club have judged to be poor dealings over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669