The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Summer 2013 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the owners are willing to invest 5mn I think we can incur losses of 8mn and still be in compliance - maybe that means the cuts won't have to be so brutal. They already have so much invested, surely next season has to be the biggest push as it only gets worse from a FFP perspective in future seasons ?

Selling Kasper and Morgan for £3m each and replacing with cheaper alternatives would also free up some funds.

If the owners are willing to invest 5mn I think we can incur losses of 8mn and still be in compliance - maybe that means the cuts won't have to be so brutal. They already have so much invested, surely next season has to be the biggest push as it only gets worse from a FFP perspective in future seasons ?

The £5m has to be given to the club, not loaned or "invested". Are they willing to hand over £5m with no guarantee of ever seeing it again? Possibly not.

Just a thought who owns the stadium now? I know the Thais do but who precisely? They could sell it to shell company off shore somewhere for a cash injection and lease it back for a minimal investment, maybe this was the purpose of buying the ground?

You don't become that wealthy without learning how to play systems.

How's that for conjecture...

Just a thought who owns the stadium now? I know the Thais do but who precisely? They could sell it to shell company off shore somewhere for a cash injection and lease it back for a minimal investment, maybe this was the purpose of buying the ground?

You don't become that wealthy without learning how to play systems.

How's that for conjecture...

Impressive.

They were two of our best players last season. Selling them both would be suicide imo.

They were, but are also replaceable. Not necessarily for less, but since when has football made any sense. Towards the end of the season, Morgan was making a fair number of mistakes that cost us goals. This could have been tiredness, or playing for so long alongside someone as inexperienced as Keane, but he didn't look as impressive as he did at the beginning. But then, neither did any of the others, so what do I know.

To put the £5m investment into context, the last set of accounts to end of season 11/12 also stated in the commentary, that a further circa £16m had been invested up to 30th Nov 2012, so that doesn't cover the entire season, and they can invest less than a third of that figure for next season.

If the owners gambled on promotion next season (so risk of transfer embargo 14/15 season if failed) and succeeded, they then have to pay the exact value of any spend in excess of the limit to the championship clubs (it would then be evenly shared between all clubs who complied to FFP).

However the club have indicated they will comply with FFP & if they don't mean by paying fines, then it has to mean big cuts in the wage bill and little spend on transfer fees, however don't forget all other clubs have the same issue, which is why clearing big salaries off the payroll isn't going to be easy, so could result in the need to sell those we can move on, even if its not the preferred option

To put the £5m investment into context, the last set of accounts to end of season 11/12 also stated in the commentary, that a further circa £16m had been invested up to 30th Nov 2012, so that doesn't cover the entire season, and they can invest less than a third of that figure for next season.

If the owners gambled on promotion next season (so risk of transfer embargo 14/15 season if failed) and succeeded, they then have to pay the exact value of any spend in excess of the limit to the championship clubs (it would then be evenly shared between all clubs who complied to FFP).

However the club have indicated they will comply with FFP & if they don't mean by paying fines, then it has to mean big cuts in the wage bill and little spend on transfer fees, however don't forget all other clubs have the same issue, which is why clearing big salaries off the payroll isn't going to be easy, so could result in the need to sell those we can move on, even if its not the preferred option

The clubs that benefit from parachute payments don't (at least for next season) have those concerns. They can therefore afford to gamble a bit more than we can. The playing field is therefore hardly fair or level. Relegated clubs will always have an advantage.

Last edited:
The clubs that benefit from parachute payments don't (at least for next season) have those concerns. They can therefore afford to gamble a bit more than we can. The playing field is therefore hardly fair or level. Relegated clubs will always have an advantage.

And therein lies the problem. How long is it before a closed shop comes in.

I'm sure that there will always be teams that struggles in spite of parachute payments (you only have to look at the teams relegated last season). I do however worry about the widening resource gap between clubs entrenched in this division, and clubs that yoyo. They will surely always have an advantage.

I'm sure that there will always be teams that struggles in spite of parachute payments (you only have to look at the teams relegated last season). I do however worry about the widening resource gap between clubs entrenched in this division, and clubs that yoyo. They will surely always have an advantage.

This is my concern also. However, if you remove the worry of relegation from the Premier League, then this isn't a problem. Phil Gartside would have loved this to be the case a few years ago (and probably still will do if they get back to the top division).

As you said, this is what Phil Gartside wanted and is why I am so delighted that Bolton are no longer in the big league and that they missed out this season on getting back.

Last edited:
Ryan Shotton anyone?

A minor possibility.
His girlfriend is a student at De Montfort and he already drives down at least once a week to see her.
My girlfriend was a student there and is very good friends with who she's sharing a house with.

This may be a half decent reason for him to at least consider Leicester?

Last edited:
Would be hugely disappointed to see him leave, but I suppose that kind of money is about right. We'd certainly put up a fight. If you're him you'd see it as a season to put yourself in the shop window, a springboard if you will. Before I wasn't convinced he'd leave us but now I'm not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669