The Championship 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
gone pretty well for us there I'd say.. who was sent off for Leeds and more importantly will he miss the Leicester match?

Centre-back Tom Lees. Likely that Andy O'Brien will start.

More interesting is that they subbed their second choice goalie off after 59 minutes and on came their third choice, 18 year old from the ressies/youth. This was down to performance rather than injury.

Centre-back Tom Lees. Likely that Andy O'Brien will start.

More interesting is that they subbed their second choice goalie off after 59 minutes and on came their third choice, 18 year old from the ressies/youth. This was down to performance rather than injury.

So much for sorting out the defence. Kasper will have a point to prove so expect a good performance from him and maybe an ideal game to give Beckford a chance to remedy his shortcomings - from the bench mind, would be surprised if Stowell changes a winning team.

TalkSport reporting that Coppell set to be appointed Porstmouth boss.

Not very reliable of course, but I've always been a big admirer of Coppell, I understand the qualms some people may have over him after the way he left Bristol City, but he's about as good a manger as it gets at this level.

Derby 0 Cardiff 3
Leeds 0 Blackpool 5

I can't imagine there will be many points scored in the prediction league tonight.

Just 13 points, thinly spread over the 72 teams who took part. Only lanxfox jnr said that both would be victories for the away team and the two points he gained for that has given him a draw with SoccerWinner, the League Two leaders.

I was just about to leave home for work in York today when you posted that Bob. Were you up early too or just going to bed?

I think that neither me or Oldgit got any points from last nights games so imagine our miserly total of 5 points each will be the result.

Derby fan collapsed and died at the game last night apparently. Sad news.

You seem troubled today Mawsley.

I was simply pointing out the inconsistency of the situation. Laws should NOT be disregarded based on whether or not the player concerned has had a recent tragedy in his life.

Not at all - I simply don't understand how you can fail to see why using compassion in the implementation of laws is a good and useful thing.

The police show discretion when interviewing people on the street, so should referees, when it comes to the less serious offences.

Laws should be disregarded based on circumstances, that is what gives a society soul.

I've just remembered that you may well be a teacher - in which case you will know fully well that you do not implement every school rule every minute of the day - you use your discretion for the benefit of the students and your sanity.

Last edited:
Not at all - I simply don't understand how you can fail to see why using compassion in the implementation of laws is a good and useful thing.

The police show discretion when interviewing people on the street, so should referees, when it comes to the less serious offences.

Laws should be disregarded based on circumstances, that is what gives a society soul.

We are not talking about society as a whole or even in part. We are talking about the laws of the game of football as they stand at this moment in time.

As emotive as the evening was, technically the referee shouldn't have let compassion come into his thinking he should have just applied the laws of the game and got his yellow card out.

The fact that he would have been ostracised from every corner of society in the morning is no mitigation at all for not doing his job.

I agree with Spion and I would extend that to the society as a whole. I think soul is vastly overrated compared to fairness, not because I feel particularly soulless but because I don't think judgements, when there are fixed rules or laws, should be based on arbitrary things such as "soul" or "empathy".

I agree with Spion and I would extend that to the society as a whole. I think soul is vastly overrated compared to fairness, not because I feel particularly soulless but because I don't think judgements, when there are fixed rules or laws, should be based on arbitrary things such as "soul" or "empathy".

The fact remains though that the player neither removed his shirt nor covered his face. It is these two actions that the guidelines say should lead to a booking so it is difficult to understand why people feel that he somehow got away with anything.

Last edited:
The fact remains though that the player neither removed his shirt nor covered his face. It is these two actions that the guidelines say should lead to a booking so it is difficult to understand why people feel that he somehow got away with anything.

I agree with you on the points you make above Boc, but wasn't there also something brought in a few years ago against messages being displayed on tops being unveiled?

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, just have it in my mind that there was a bit of a craze for it a few years ago and that one of the football authorities banned it. I can't remember the details though so I could easily be wrong.

I agree with you on the points you make above Boc, but wasn't there also something brought in a few years ago against messages being displayed on tops being unveiled?

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, just have it in my mind that there was a bit of a craze for it a few years ago and that one of the football authorities banned it. I can't remember the details though so I could easily be wrong.

It may have been in the past; I don't know one way or the other. But it's not in either the Laws of the Game or in the Interpretations or Guidelines to Referees now. http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/28/interpretation_law12_en.pdf and scroll down to 'Celebration of a goal' on p118.

Last edited:

Didn't it start when Robbie Fowler unveiled messages supporting striking dockers or miners or something?

Take away the emotive nature of this particular incident and the problem is not applying the laws of the game.

The fact that it is a ridiculous law which amongst other things takes some of the fun out of the game is frankly irrelevant.
Totally agree, at what stage does it become OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  614
2Chelsea613
3Liverpool512
4Arsenal612
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69