The Championship 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bristol City just beat Southampton at Southampton.

Top 2 really starting to slip up now, they looked like running way ahead of everyone else a few weeks back.

I could do with Southampton keeping up the good work. If Man United and Southampton win their respective divisions, I collect about £300

Forest have appointed Sean O'Driscoll. A talented manager with huge potential. As first team coach!

How lucky are Leeds?

Losing to Burnley, Burnley have a man sent off, Burnley score an own goal and then gift Leeds a goal. Leeds win 2-1.

Next game, losing to Palace. Palace have a man sent off, Leeds equalise. Finishes 1-1.

Next game, losing to Ipswich. Ipswich have a man sent off, then gift Leeds some goals after some comedy defending. Leeds win 3-1.

How lucky are Leeds?

Losing to Burnley, Burnley have a man sent off, Burnley score an own goal and then gift Leeds a goal. Leeds win 2-1.

Next game, losing to Palace. Palace have a man sent off, Leeds equalise. Finishes 1-1.

Next game, losing to Ipswich. Ipswich have a man sent off, then gift Leeds some goals after some comedy defending. Leeds win 3-1.

I wouldn't say they were lucky at all

I wouldn't say they were lucky at all

Why? A man sent off against them in each of the last 3 games? Then coming back from losing positions after these red cards?

How lucky are Leeds?

I'd have to agree, unless all 3 of those red cards are incorrect it isn't luck at all, when teams score late goals regularly it isn't luck and this is something I've been wishing we'd do for years!

... when teams score late goals regularly it isn't luck and this is something I've been wishing we'd do for years!

I just wish we would stop letting late goals in.

I just wish we would stop letting late goals in.

I'd agree but you look at, for example, Leeds this and Norwich last season. Both teams score late goals and pick up points from seemingly troublesome positions and this is how they are successful. Yes of course it isn't the only reason, but the ability to never give in and keep getting goals from losing/drawing positions, definitely helps the cause and Leicester City haven't done enough of it recently.

Last edited:
Just been looking through and these are the late Leicester goals this season:

Danns 90+3, vs Bury on 23rd August.
Schlupp 88 & Dyer 90+1, vs Derby on 1st October.
Danns 82, vs Blackpool on 29th November.

Compare this to Leeds this season:

Gradel 90+4, vs Southampton on 6th August.
Clayton 90, vs West Ham on 21st August.
McCormack 84, vs Crystal Palace on 10th October.
McCormack 90, vs Brighton on 23rd October.
Becchio 90+5, vs Peterborough on 22nd November.
Snodgrass 87, vs Burnley on 19th November.
Snodgrass 90+4, vs Watford on 10th December.
Easton OG 88 & McCormack 90+5, vs Burnley on 2nd January.
McCormack 82 & Becchio 90+1 on 21st January.

Now that's 4 Leicester goals, 10 Leeds goals. None of our late goals gained us any points, as all of them, added to earlier winning positions.

Danns added to the 3-2 lead at Bury.
Schlupp & Dyer added to the 2-0 lead at home to Derby.
Danns added to the 1-0 lead at home to Blackpool.

Compare this to Leeds' late goal record:

Clayton equalised at West Ham.
McCormack winner at home to Palace.
McCormack equaliser at Brighton.
Becchio winner at Peterborough.
Snodgrass winner at Burnley.
Snodgrass equaliser at Watford.
Easton & McCormack turned losing into winning at home to Burnley.
McCormack & Becchio made winning comfortable from a draw at Ipswich today.

That's 14 points gained by Leeds in the last 10 minutes of games (assuming you gain two points from a drawing position), compared to Leicester's 0. Doesn't make for good reading..

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69