Speculation The Crazy Stupid Premier League Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how Ulloa is a step up from Vardy or Nugent. Brighton fans on the forum I post on seem to agree that he's a good Championship striker but they'd be surprised if he made the step up.

Shouldn't we be spending some money trying to improve the much more pressing matter of the defence, particularly at full-back?

Damn, reading that back I sound like a bit of a blue mongie.

Last edited:
We undoubtedly need another striker, and if Peestain is only allowed to spend £6/7 million, then the likes of Ulloa is all your gonna get

Then there's no point in buying one. I don't see him as a step up at all from Vardy and Nugent. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned if we started the season with Nugent and Vardy, I think we still have a chance of staying with how well they work together.

However if we're still starting the season with our current defence then I would be very concerned. Playing with Jeffrey Schlupp as first choice left-back in the Premier League is a frightening prospect.

I just think with all this talk about strikers, it's being overlooked that it's our defence than needs the most work. If we find an improvement on Nugent and Vardy then great! But if not, let's not spunk money on players who are no better than them when more urgent work is needed elsewhere.

This is getting farcical, either Brighton have priced him out of the market or City need to spend money I'm sure its a bit of both. City have to recognise we are a Premiership side and we are going to face these inflated prices every time we try to sign someone. Everyone wants a slice of the Premier League cake and I'm sure had we been in the same position as Brighton we would be doing the same. Pearson will have to bite the financial bullet and accept this is life in footballs fast lane. I am also sure that the owners alleged statement, (despite the latest denials), that they will spend 180 million hasn't helped the situation add that figure to promotion being worth at least 120 million we are looking at 300 million pounds being potentially available, that is a lot of money. Clubs know this and want some of it. I would add that I am not advocating that the clubs spends money on unrealistic transfer fees, there has to be some financial prudence, but high prices come with the heady heights or the Premiership we either accept it or we face a long hard season fighting relegation.

Look overseas, I'm sorry but I cannot fathom how a striker from the Championship with an average scoring record can command such a fee.

Imho we look very weak in defence compared to other top flight sides. I don't want Jeff or Konch as first choice left back, in fact the thought terrifies me.

Then there's no point in buying one. I don't see him as a step up at all from Vardy and Nugent. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned if we started the season with Nugent and Vardy, I think we still have a chance of staying with how well they work together.

However if we're still starting the season with our current defence then I would be very concerned. Playing with Jeffrey Schlupp as first choice left-back in the Premier League is a frightening prospect.

I just think with all this talk about strikers, it's being overlooked that it's our defence than needs the most work. If we find an improvement on Nugent and Vardy then great! But if not, let's not spunk money on players who are no better than them when more urgent work is needed elsewhere.

I don't disagree with the point about defensive weaknesses. I think we're well short. The one addition we have made is no better than what we have - he's about the same level - and therefore we are strengthened by depth, not by having a better player

But if you think we can go into a Premier League season with Nugent and Vardy, presumably with Chris Wood as back up, then you're deluded. We need at least one more - and if it happens to be that we are only allowed to buy players that are only as good as the main two (rather than better) then so be it.

Look overseas, I'm sorry but I cannot fathom how a striker from the Championship with an average scoring record can command such a fee.

Imho we look very weak in defence compared to other top flight sides. I don't want Jeff or Konch as first choice left back, in fact the thought terrifies me.
Didn't you say 11m was good for another average championship striker?

Didn't you say 11m was good for another average championship striker?

In the Championship signing a striker with 30 goals in the same division makes sense.

In the Premier League signing a striker who scored 16 goals in the Championship makes less sense.

The money is irrelevant if they can afford it.

We're 8th in the table, don't understand what the panic is.

We're 8th in the table, don't understand what the panic is.

I don't see anyone panicking. I just see some people suggesting they don't believe Ulloa is worth the proposed price tag, there are other positions aside from up front that need strengthening before the season starts. I don't see any sense of panic in those statements at all.

Agree entirely regarding our defensive line.

Even in the middle there isn't any pace at all.

As for the fullbacks...both sides will have problems. Wouldn't be surprised if we started with three central defenders.

Strangely, I'm excited to see Schlupp play in the premier league. He has all of the tools ... Perhaps Pesssstin thinks he's ready to make the jump.

Last edited:
Strangely, I'm excited to see Schlupp play in the premier league. He has all of the tools ... Perhaps Pesssstin thinks he's ready to make the jump.

Having seen most of his appearances last season I would be gob smacked if Peestain truly believed JS is up to playing in the top flight.

Pains me to say it but the bloke has got very little football intelligence and depends purely on pace.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ardiff-city-striker-fraizer-campbells-7407066

Leicester City have ended their interest in signing Cardiff City striker Fraizer Campbell after refusing to meet his wage demands.

The decision by Leicester manager Nigel Pearson makes Crystal Palace favourites to land Campbell, although he could still stay with the Bluebirds.

Campbell, though, is keen to stay at Premier League level, and that means the Yorkshireman could be heading to London.

Leicester and Palace are the only clubs to have triggered Campbell’s release clause, which was set at £800,000 and rises to £900,000-plus with add-ons in terms of appearances and goals.

Now Leicester have been frightened off by Campbell’s demands for £40,000-a-week wages, but Palace remain in talks.

Huddersfield-born Campbell, 26, is under contract with Cardiff until 2016, but the Bluebirds are powerless to stop him leaving now the release clause has been triggered.

Having seen most of his appearances last season I would be gob smacked if Peestain truly believed JS is up to playing in the top flight.

Pains me to say it but the bloke has got very little football intelligence and depends purely on pace.

Agreed. Gives the ball away far too much for a defender and never seems to look up at spot the easy pass and instead always has his head down ready to run into a crowd of players and inevitability get tackled. It's a shame because he has some positive physical attributes, but his mental side of the game hasn't seemed to improve at all since he broke through and I fear it never will. He'll get punished with a regularity if he transfers his performances of last season to the Premier League.

Last edited:
We undoubtedly need another striker, and if Peestain is only allowed to spend £6/7 million, then the likes of Ulloa is all your gonna get

Don't think that's the case, the issue is the weekly pay packet a £10 million striker's agent expects to achieve against a salary cap set to keep all the squad happy

If £10 million is the question, Ulloa is not the answer.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Man City have just spent £6m on a 32 year old back up goalkeeper. That should tell you all you need to know about the transfer market these days. None of us will probably believe players are worth the prices quoted, but that's the way it is, I'm afraid folks.

Agreed. Gives the ball away far too much for a defender and never seems to look up at spot the easy pass and instead always has his head down ready to run into a crowd of players and inevitability get tackled. It's a shame because he has some positive physical attributes, but his mental side of the game hasn't seemed to improve at all since he broke through and I fear it never will. He'll get punished with a regularity if he transfers his performances of last season to the Premier League.

He's young, players improve.

We certainly didn't think Jamie Vardy was up to standard not too long ago.

Campbell would have cost £5m over two seasons with his wage demands.

Doesn't seems outrageous in my opinion.

Campbell would have cost £5m over two seasons with his wage demands.

Doesn't seems outrageous in my opinion.

Well it is if it fecks up the morale within the whole of the rest of the squad, due to smashing the established wage structure

Sooner spunk the money on a transfer fee, and maintain a good balance elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670