The even newer Things Pissing You Off thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NRA is nothing more than a lobby group for weapons manufacturers. Their primary objective is to create hysteria to frighten Yanks into buying more and more firearms

Since the newtown shooting the NRA membership numbers have skyrocketed and gun license applications have spiked.

So it seems the more gun violence they see, te more Americans want guns. Bizarre.

Since the newtown shooting the NRA membership numbers have skyrocketed and gun license applications have spiked.

So it seems the more gun violence they see, te more Americans want guns. Bizarre.

It seems that in the USA the best advert for guns is a mass shooting, the country is crazy.

Two people accidentally shot at a gun show (think market).

"Guns don't kill people...."

I'll end up moving to Dorset and living in a tiny village one day. America can be very scary.

It seems that in the USA the best advert for guns is a mass shooting, the country is crazy.
I wouldn't say 'the country' is crazy.

Number of Americans who have membership of the NRA, as a percentage of population: 1.38%
Number of Brits who voted for David Cameron in 2010, as a percentage of population: 20.15%

A minority of the people here are crazy, no doubt. The gun culture is disturbing, no doubt. But there is a bigger picture that people in the UK will never hear about, because it's not 'news'.

Generally, people here will stop and say hello to each other in the street. Generally, people here are ridiculously polite. Generally, people here are positive and friendly.

I honestly feel a lot safer here in the supposed war zone that is the US/Mexico border than I ever did living in Leicester. I've lived here for more than ten years and have never been robbed, mugged, beaten up or shot. I rarely lock my house or car. A little under thirty years in Leicester, doing my level best to stay out of trouble, I had my house broken into twice and car broken into four times. One of my friends was nearly beaten to death in the street in Oadby, and I was one of the few people I know who didn't have their car stolen, mainly because I had shit cars.

But, by all means, carry on believing what you see in the media. We all know what a good job the UK media are doing at the moment, so there's no reason to suspect that they don't give you a full, accurate picture of the USA.

Number of Americans who have membership of the NRA, as a percentage of population: 1.38%
Number of Brits who voted for David Cameron in 2010, as a percentage of population: 20.15%

A minority of the people here are crazy, no doubt. The gun culture is disturbing, no doubt. But there is a bigger picture that people in the UK will never hear about, because it's not 'news'.

Generally, people here will stop and say hello to each other in the street. Generally, people here are ridiculously polite. Generally, people here are positive and friendly.

I honestly feel a lot safer here in the supposed war zone that is the US/Mexico border than I ever did living in Leicester. I've lived here for more than ten years and have never been robbed, mugged, beaten up or shot. I rarely lock my house or car. A little under thirty years in Leicester, doing my level best to stay out of trouble, I had my house broken into twice and car broken into four times. One of my friends was nearly beaten to death in the street in Oadby, and I was one of the few people I know who didn't have their car stolen, mainly because I had shit cars.

But, by all means, carry on believing what you see in the media. We all know what a good job the UK media are doing at the moment, so there's no reason to suspect that they don't give you a full, accurate picture of the USA.

The problem, and it's as true here as there, is that the crazies always shout loudest.

Last edited:
Exactly. Ordinary, decent people going about their lives in a quiet, civil manner are in no way interesting.

I visit the US at least 2-3 times each year (business and leisure) so I think I have a pretty good handle on the good and bad points of the US, the country is crazy in that it doesn't deal with astronomical murder rate because of a love of guns and clinging to a 'right to bear arms' that wouldn't exist if a 'right to self defence' had been written into the second amendment. I use to think that I'd happily move to the US (our family almost did in the 70's) but I just wouldn't now.

Don't start on the electoral system though, the US electoral college is the least democratic form of democracy possible (closely followed by our first past the post system).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669