Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2023 rumours thread - it's started already!

Reminds me of the time that Football Rumours site reported a rumour I’d made up about Juventus coming in for Conrad Logan. Weird thing was someone had obviously added a bit of bullshit to it to make it sound more legit.
I miss football-rumours.

As we are flushed with cash and have enough dosh to pay big wages, and we need a replacement for two of our mid-fielders, here's a possible replacement

This chap could be as good as Mahrez was, maybe...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65465532

Guardian:

"Moyes will also be keen to strengthen on the left wing and West Ham have registered an interest in Barnes. The 25-year-old has a valuation of at least £50m but he could be cheaper if Leicester are relegated on Sunday, when West Ham are the visitors to the King Power Stadium. Aston Villa are also interested in Barnes, who has scored 12 goals this season."

Guardian:

"Moyes will also be keen to strengthen on the left wing and West Ham have registered an interest in Barnes. The 25-year-old has a valuation of at least £50m but he could be cheaper if Leicester are relegated on Sunday, when West Ham are the visitors to the King Power Stadium. Aston Villa are also interested in Barnes, who has scored 12 goals this season."
That’s a depressing sign of things to come, when Villa and West Ham are taking our best players not Chelsea and Man City.

Dreading the morning after the day before when we fully realise we are a championship club now.

That’s a depressing sign of things to come, when Villa and West Ham are taking our best players not Chelsea and Man City.

Dreading the morning after the day before when we fully realise we are a championship club now.
Couldn't give a shiny shitball who buys them if they're going to stump up anywhere close to 50m for Barnes.

Makes me all nostalgic.

There always used to be those batshit mental transfer fees for certain players that made no logical sense. They jumped off the page at you & made you think the world had gone insane.

Kevin Davies & Andy Carroll are the ones that have stuck longest in the memory. Both absolutely as disastrous in reality as they looked on the page.

But these days there's half a dozen of the ****ers every window.

There's always a premium for English players. He's 25 and for the last three seasons has got double-figure numbers of goals per season from midfield. In today's climate, that makes him worth around £50 million – that's just how it works now.

Selling Barnes would leave us with zero wingers.

The way we've mismanaged that particular position is terrible.

We've got to rebuild the whole squad, so what difference does one extra player make.

It's going to be a colossal task too. We've effectively got to identify recruits for both the championship and, at least until Sunday, the PL.

Then there's the question of the manager. If he wants to play a particular style, we may need another, completely different set of options.

All of which would be difficult for a club with a clear strategy and strong leadership, of which we currently have neither.

Selling Barnes would leave us with zero wingers.

The way we've mismanaged that particular position is terrible.
agreed although apart from his goals he has been a luxury we could not afford this season. I have said on this forum before Barnes has all the attributes to reach the very top, the only thing stopping him is his attitude and work rate.

The fact we have struggled to recruit a left and right winger has been criminal and spans the last two managers. We will never be able to replace Mahrez he was a 1 in a million player however, it does not mean that there are no quality wingers out there.

Perhaps the thinking by BR was that Castagne/Ricardo/JJ could fill that void? Right and Left wing has been a priority for us for at least 3 seasons, and we have been piss poor in spotting talent in this position. 50 million for Barnes I would drive him there myself tbh.

We have plenty of players who could play wing back on both sides, but we have never even tried to play in that way - i.e. 3-5-2 as opposed to 5-3-2 which is what we did last week, and any other time we have played three centre backs

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463