The hysterically annoying and totally unfounded, but traditional, Summer 2024 rumours thread.

I don't know, if we keep on buying all these new players and don't release all the old players we have that don't have a future with us, we are going to become Chelsea.....!

I don't know, if we keep on buying all these new players and don't release all the old players we have that don't have a future with us, we are going to become Chelsea.....!

Exactly.

It's yet another summer where we've failed to offload players. Ward, Iversen, Souttar, Soumare, Choudhury, Cannon, Thomas and Daka are all still City players. Loans or bit parts are the best we can do when they all need to go permanently. There are several others I'd be happy to move on too.

It's so stark how desperate Cooper is for more players when numbers is not the issue. We've got loads of players. Manager after manager have made the same conclusions about a load of our players and yet they're still around.

Ward, Iversen and Thomas are in the final year of their contracts. Our valuations of them have crashed but they are still here. Soumare and Daka still have two years left and are draining over £150k a week out of the club.

It's scandalous how poorly run we are.

Could see Iversen, Cannon and Soumare moving before the deadline, albeit on loan.

Dakas injury probably means we are stuck there.

Thomas, I expect will be kept as cover at left back.

As for Ward. Can’t imagine there is a club on earth that think he’s worth a punt.

Once again, we can't 'offload' players if no one will take them.

Once again, we won't offload players if our Director of Football isn't prepared to admit he fecked up.

One example. Crystal Palace offered us a deal for Iversen this time last year. It was a figure somewhere between £2m-£3m (various reports) and we turned it down.

Iversen was never going to play for Maresca and keeping him was pure pigheadedness.

Now he's picking up balls in training and waiting for another loan before leaving for nothing.

We can sell Soumare tomorrow if we want. He's well liked by many European clubs. But we'd have to admit we screwed up and take a big hit on him.

We chose to give people like Choudhury and Thomas new contracts last year. Because our Director of Football thinks they have significant resale value. Do they ****.

Once again, we won't offload players if our Director of Football isn't prepared to admit he fecked up.

One example. Crystal Palace offered us a deal for Iversen this time last year. It was a figure somewhere between £2m-£3m (various reports) and we turned it down.

Iversen was never going to play for Maresca and keeping him was pure pigheadedness.

Now he's picking up balls in training and waiting for another loan before leaving for nothing.

We can sell Soumare tomorrow if we want. He's well liked by many European clubs. But we'd have to admit we screwed up and take a big hit on him.

We chose to give people like Choudhury and Thomas new contracts last year. Because our Director of Football thinks they have significant resale value. Do they ****.
I don’t know the rules, but if you sell someone for less than you paid do you have to account for the entire loss in that year? If that’s correct, keeping someone when the price isn’t right (even if they leave for nothing) would mean the loss is spread across several years reducing your FFP exposure in any one year.

I could have that wrong, but it would explain why we still have a lot of players and didn’t just cut our losses on people like Soumare.

Nearly all of this is hearsay or made up or street talk or whatever else. We have no idea whether there were any actual offers or whether the players themselves refused to leave without us paying them out. They are under no obligation to. We also have no idea how any offers made to us, if there were indeed any, were structured and whether this made them less or non viable. There is also the short fall of any sale to consider. This would need to be accounted for immediately in our accounts and we are not is any position to take on more loss.

The fact is, if we get an actual offer for Soumare, Thomas, Ward, Daka, Coady etc, that doesn't leave us with a huge short fall to have to account for immediately AND the players agree to leave then we will almost certainly get them out. The problem is that this combination is unlikely to happen. We've already shown this year that we are prepared to let players go by either selling or refusing to give them new terms matching their old ones and that's all we can do until the contracts run out.

Whenever anyone asks how I am my stock answer always seems to be, ‘can’t complain’ when the opposite is almost always the case. I can always complain.

You could win an award for it

If ****chops BM ever did the awards

Which he won't

Cos he's a ****chops

So then, a really crucial few days coming up. I wonder what we can do to enhance the squad....

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46
11Bournemouth45