The hysterically annoying and totally unfounded, but traditional, Summer 2024 rumours thread.

How would you like us to have moved them on if there were no offers (or at least no offers that didn't result in us having to put millions and millions of pounds immediately on our books)?
Just because there were no viable offers, it doesn't make it any less frustrating that we haven't been able to shift some of them.

It's a stain on us and someone really needs to be held to account over the fact we will be wasting over £10m per year on wages on those players who will barely ever play for us.

We've limited budget so spunking it on players who will have no impact is incredibly frustrating.

Just because there were no viable offers, it doesn't make it any less frustrating that we haven't been able to shift some of them.

It's a stain on us and someone really needs to be held to account over the fact we will be wasting over £10m per year on wages on those players who will barely ever play for us.

We've limited budget so spunking it on players who will have no impact is incredibly frustrating.
No, but it doesn't make it a 'failure of the club' or 'incompetence' either. I don't blame them for taking a punt on Daka or Soumare, their numbers were great and they were both highly regarded. They both proved to be shit. Moving them is going to be all but impossible until they are out of contract or close to being out of contract.

How would you like us to have moved them on if there were no offers (or at least no offers that didn't result in us having to put millions and millions of pounds immediately on our books)?
Ward and Iversen are in the last year of their contracts, which means the remaining unamortised value (if any) would be charged during this 2024/25 financial year regardless. So even if it’s a free transfer and we have to immediately recognise the values, the only difference is actually beneficial, as selling them for free at least saves us the wages.

Thomas is an academy product so no such on-booking of millions of pounds.

Soumare was signed for a supposed €20mn with now 2 years left on his contract, meaning €8mn unamortised value with €4mn during this season. So any offer of €4mn or more to cover the 25/26 amortisation would make us at least break even plus wages saving benefits.

If the club wanted to, they could probably have found some clubs stupid enough to take a punt on these players for very low fees or for free, whilst not damaging the accounting and financial side of things.

I can see why at least one keeper is kept until Stolarczyk is back, maybe Thomas is kept so we have 4 full backs, Daka is injured so understandably no offer. But not able to move Soumare and Iversen on clearly indicates that some people are failing at their jobs.

Ward and Iversen are in the last year of their contracts, which means the remaining unamortised value (if any) would be charged during this 2024/25 financial year regardless. So even if it’s a free transfer and we have to immediately recognise the values, the only difference is actually beneficial, as selling them for free at least saves us the wages.

Thomas is an academy product so no such on-booking of millions of pounds.

Soumare was signed for a supposed €20mn with now 2 years left on his contract, meaning €8mn unamortised value with €4mn during this season. So any offer of €4mn or more to cover the 25/26 amortisation would make us at least break even plus wages saving benefits.

If the club wanted to, they could probably have found some clubs stupid enough to take a punt on these players for very low fees or for free, whilst not damaging the accounting and financial side of things.

I can see why at least one keeper is kept until Stolarczyk is back, maybe Thomas is kept so we have 4 full backs, Daka is injured so understandably no offer. But not able to move Soumare and Iversen on clearly indicates that some people are failing at their jobs.
And the problem with a lot of this is that you are plucking figures out of the air without knowing anything about the real transfer fees, any additional payments that would need to be made or the attitudes of the players themselves. It's really not difficult to understand; if they don't want to go, they don't have to unless we choose to terminate their contracts and that comes with all sorts of other problems.

As for other clubs being 'duped into taking them', well, they obviously weren't as according to reports, despite 'interest', we received no offers for any of them; not even paltry ones.

Like I say, it's frustrating, but anyone who thinks it's that easy to 'move players on' without any significant costs to the club really is misunderstanding the process.

No, but it doesn't make it a 'failure of the club' or 'incompetence' either. I don't blame them for taking a punt on Daka or Soumare, their numbers were great and they were both highly regarded. They both proved to be shit. Moving them is going to be all but impossible until they are out of contract or close to being out of contract.
Well it does, not that I said that, but it is most certainly down to incompetence and people failing at their jobs.

Thomas was given a ridiculous contract after barely a handful of games.

Danny Ward was signed for £10m+ when we had no intention of playing him, we then extended his contract for even longer despite him playing a handful of games at most at the time.

Iversen we had solid bids in excess of £5m a couple of years back which we knocked back. We've since barely played him once, therefore plummeting his value and interest.

I agree that Soumare and Daka were definitely worth the punt and I think Daka can still be of value to us this season. We should have been able to shift Soumare out on loan at least though, even if was like the Sterling deal where we paid half his wages, it would have still freed up enough wages to have covered a loan signing, or would have at least halved his wage outlay for a player that is not going to play for us this season.

We've gone from being one of the best at transfers pre PL win to one of the worst now as other teams and agents just see us as a cash machine now.

Even the price we have paid for Skipp should be seriously questioned when you look at fees paid for other players.

And the problem with a lot of this is that you are plucking figures out of the air without knowing anything about the real transfer fees, any additional payments that would need to be made or the attitudes of the players themselves. It's really not difficult to understand; if they don't want to go, they don't have to unless we choose to terminate their contracts and that comes with all sorts of other problems.

As for other clubs being 'duped into taking them', well, they obviously weren't as according to reports, despite 'interest', we received no offers for any of them; not even paltry ones.

Like I say, it's frustrating, but anyone who thinks it's that easy to 'move players on' without any significant costs to the club really is misunderstanding the process.

And the problem with a lot of this, old boy, is that you're making exactly the same (but opposite) assumptions that you're criticising others for.

You're saying that players don't want to go without evidence. You're saying we can't sell these players without evidence.

We support a club that share absolutely nothing. Sometimes, that makes sense. Other times, they treat us supporters as irrelevant plebs. In the absence of known facts, it's fair to make some criticism of what we can see.

It's also the point of a football forum isn't it? Speculation is one of the few things we can do. I mean, what's the name of this thread . . .

Last edited:

How can you critise someone for supposedly 'plucking figures out of the air' and then go on to profess that it isn't easy to move players on as if you are the oracle on this and have first hand experience of it when it is more of a made up fact that the wages/values of players?

Part of the cost of a new manager is whether existing players will fit into a new system or new mindset for the new manager.
Danny Ward does not appear to fit into anyone’s system or mindset here or anywhere else.
In the extreme you have Enzo who appears to have told the Chelsea owners that he is having nothing to do with about twelve players and will not let them anywhere near his chosen first team squad.
No wonder his contract took so long to finalise if he has approval for all these actions.

Regardless of the transfer fees, the accounting remains true for Ward/Iversen (last year of contract) and Thomas (academy product).

It may be a valid point of transaction costs such as agents’ fees or legal expenses, but the opposite side of the scale is wages saved by offloading players. If somehow such fees are higher than a year of player wages, this in itself is someone “failing their jobs” and whoever negotiate such incidental fees needs to be sacked.

As for players not wanting to go, understandably it’s part and parcel of the game, and I agree that it may not be easy to move players on. That’s why those who are responsible to do so are paid damn well to buy players and/or sell players. Not being able to paint a picture of “you might think you don’t want to, but here is why it is better if you moved on” is also a job failed.

And the problem with a lot of this, old boy, is that you're making exactly the same (but opposite) assumptions that you're criticising others for.

You're saying that players don't want to go without evidence. You're saying we can't sell these players without evidence.

We support a club that share absolutely nothing. Sometimes, that makes sense. Other times, they treat us supporters as irrelevant plebs. In the absence of known facts, it's fair to make some criticism of what we can see.

It's also the point of a football forum isn't it? Speculation is one of the few things we can do. I mean, what's the name of this thread . . .
Nope. I said you can't make players go IF they don't want to. I also said that the figures quoted were plucked out of thin air; I didn't say I knew them more than anyone else.

You really must pay more attention or learn to read a little better.

How can you critise someone for supposedly 'plucking figures out of the air' and then go on to profess that it isn't easy to move players on as if you are the oracle on this and have first hand experience of it when it is more of a made up fact that the wages/values of players?
Because that's simple common sense.

Guessing at numbers isn't.

Regardless of the transfer fees, the accounting remains true for Ward/Iversen (last year of contract) and Thomas (academy product).

It may be a valid point of transaction costs such as agents’ fees or legal expenses, but the opposite side of the scale is wages saved by offloading players. If somehow such fees are higher than a year of player wages, this in itself is someone “failing their jobs” and whoever negotiate such incidental fees needs to be sacked.

As for players not wanting to go, understandably it’s part and parcel of the game, and I agree that it may not be easy to move players on. That’s why those who are responsible to do so are paid damn well to buy players and/or sell players. Not being able to paint a picture of “you might think you don’t want to, but here is why it is better if you moved on” is also a job failed.
I agree that in the past we have made some completely stupid, illogical decisions with regards to the types of contracts we've handed out and the money we've spent. It is these decisions that make being able to move a lot of our players out of the club an almost impossible task.

I'm not defending some of the decisions made back at contact negotiation stage, I am simply saying that being upset at the club in this window for not shipping players out doesn't make any sense. Players like Ward, Daka, Soumare aren't going anywhere until we can cut our losses appropriately on them. You can be the best and.most.convincing.negotiator in the world, but trying to convince someone to take a massive pay cut for doing more work at a lower level is probably going to be impossible.

Because that's simple common sense.

Guessing at numbers isn't.
But it's not, it's your opinion based on the square root of **** all.

The numbers are based on reported transfer fees, you'll say papers took bollocks etc but it's a lot more factual based than your opinion of players being hard to shift.

But it's not, it's your opinion based on the square root of **** all.

The numbers are based on reported transfer fees, you'll say papers took bollocks etc but it's a lot more factual based than your opinion of players being hard to shift.
So it's easy to get players out?

Honestly, just think about what you're writing. For one second....

And the board are always ****s

“Thanks for three consecutive promotions, your transfer budget for the coming season is one handjob”
The fans are twats as well.

The fans are outraged that you sold Soumare for 7.5m. They are disgusted that you did not make a profit on the player.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Liverpool49
4Aston Villa49
5Brighton48
6Nottm F48
7Chelsea47
8Newcastle37
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46
11Bournemouth45