The manager search - what a way to run a football club!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most amazing thing for me is that on 4 occassions in 12 months Milan Mandaric has had cause to interview people, yet at each occasion he has come to the hiring process it has taken a long time to appoint.

I've stopped watching my re-runs of Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and Horses on Dave.

I now spend my time watching the re-runs of various Talking Balls' Manager Threads instead.

I think Gregory should get a chance. Phil Brown was a disaster as Derby, and look what he did last season. Not all managers who had bad experiences elsewhere continue to be bad every where they go. If he's shit then hound him, but atleast give the guy a chance :102::102:

I hope MM pursuades him to join us, then this whole situation is done with, he can get on with taking stock on whats what and start preparing for a difficult season ahead. The longer the process drags on, the less time they'l have to prepare.

Get him in, lets get behind him and lets get ****ing promoted ! :038:

I think Gregory should get a chance. Phil Brown was a disaster as Derby, and look what he did last season. Not all managers who had bad experiences elsewhere continue to be bad every where they go. If he's shit then hound him, but atleast give the guy a chance :102::102:

I hope MM pursuades him to join us, then this whole situation is done with, he can get on with taking stock on whats what and start preparing for a difficult season ahead. The longer the process drags on, the less time they'l have to prepare.

So what is your drink of choice?:icon_lol:

If it gregory then so be it!

What choice do we really have(as fans), we have to hope he proves everyone wrong.

He is an idiot a prize idiot witnessed that first hand.

Last edited:

Brown had one bad experience in a difficult money situation. Gregory has only had 5 or 6 negative spells at clubs.

Pass the gun!

Last edited:
Brown had one bad experience in a difficult money situation. Gregory has only had 5 or 6 negative spells at clubs.

Pass the gun!
5 or 6? Which one is it?

I'm ignorant to Gregory's success or failings, please can you let me know why I too should share your opinion.

I ask you Hazza, because you usually give an answer, albeit a tad convoluted

5 or 6? Which one is it?

I'm ignorant to Gregory's success or failings, please can you let me know why I too should share your opinion.

I ask you Hazza, because you usually give an answer, albeit a tad convoluted

Sorry to butt in .... :icon_lol: ........ I will be the first to agree that Gregory has been largely un-succesful at other clubs, however there is no evidence that he will be a bad appointment for us. The statistics suggests that there are better people available, but again there is no evidence to say they will be an overwhelming success. The only statistic that will be relevant to us (should he accept the job) is what he does here. The rest is bollocks IMO.

JOHN GREGORY'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY !!!

[clutching at straws]
Gregory's last two jobs have been when he has taken over clubs in relegation battles, so obviously his stats will look poor at those clubs.
Maybe he'll do better at a club with expectations of a promotion challenge.
[/clutching at straws]

That's what I have been saying. He did a pretty good job at Villa, Derby were already doomed, and he kept QPR up when they looked to be going down. Win ratio's are a load of old bollocks.

Classic example is from our other rumoured man in the frame - McClaren had a better win ratio for England than he did at Boro, but he did a far better job for Boro than he did for England.

After looking up he's had 6 unsuccessful spells managing football clubs and I am counting his time at Villa as a success with a win rate over 40%.

I have posted his win and loss rate previously, he came last out of the mentioned possibilities by the media.

I have received personal reports from Derby, Pompey and QPR fans he's dreadful.

He's suffered before under expectation at Derby

He clearly uses ''Just For Men'' and ''Grecian 2000''

The way it's got Cov fans laughing their cock off is enough of an indicator.

At Villa, he signed £26 million worth of player yet couldn't produce Champions League football. During the same spell, he got rid of three of their best players - Yorke, Collymore and Bosnich

He's signed JOHN CURTIS for a Championship team last season. Once Gregory left the club, he didn't make another appearance under the manager who took charge.

He's never won a promotion unlike the other options on the table. He has got teams relegated however.

Gregory would be a better shout than Davies IMHBSDO

Last edited:
Some Gregory quotes from his time at Villa. Dare I say, they're rather Holloway-like.

On A Question Of Sport. He had a picture to identify of a bloke posing with his foot on a football (turned out to be Rubens Barrichello). Quote JG: "Not one of mine then, he's got control of the ball..."

"Taylor is so important to us and is Villa through and through, so I don't foresee any problems. But if he rejects it (a new contract offer), I'll throw him in the Holte End and they'll get him to sign".

"Perhaps I should put £50,000 in the bank, give the FA my credit details and then they can direct debit me over the course of the season?"

"I personally think referees should be wired up to a couple of electrodes and they should be allowed to make three mistakes before you run 50,000 volts through their genitals."

"The chairman of Brighton wouldn't recognize Gareth Barry if he was stood on Brighton beach in the team strip, with a seagull on his head and a ball in his hand." - in response to claims that Brighton made Barry the player he is and worthy of a £2.5m compensation payment."

"We paid Stan two million pounds in two years and we got seven Premier League goals in return. I tried everything but I am the third manager in four years who has ended up pulling his hair out. We paid for him to spend months in a clinic for depression, then the day after the season finished he checked out and went on holiday."

On being asked about a strain which was expected to keep Collymore out of action: "It's quite a bad one. It will probably keep him out for a couple of weeks - it's located just between his ears."

Interviewed on Sky: "Well, we're still top of the Premiership," [turns and looks to camera]. "I do apologise for that."

"I've got no time for the usual manager's claptrap you hear. They often say "Well, so and so was very disappointing", but I'd rather say, 'He played crap'."

Gregory was quick to put Merson at ease: "I know Paul has had his problems but we have people here who like wearing dresses and having their bottoms spanked, so I think he should fit in quite well."

Question at AGM: "You said that every player has his price and Dwight Yorke's was 16 mill, how come you only accepted 12 million?" - Gregory: "It was all I could get out of the Scottish Git."

On Yorke: 'If I'd had a gun I could have shot him.'

"The door may be open, but the chairman's wallet has been closed for a while".

"Ten thousand? I gave out more than that. I was up all night printing twenty thousand" - commenting on the Villa fans holding up '?' signs to remind Deadly Doug what his wallet is for against Spurs

"I don't like Chelsea and I've never liked Chelsea"

"He wanted to know who had won the 3:30" - on why Paul Merson had a conversation with him on the dugout phone against Sunderland.

"I'll take that son" - after Paul Merson was given a bottle of champagne for being chosen as man of the match.

"They [pundits] make me laugh, I'm afraid. They had a panel of four on Sky the other day all telling us what we should do and where we were going wrong as Premiership managers. I looked at them and all four had had a bloody nightmare when they had tried management."

"I got hold of Stan Collymore a couple of minutes before the kick-off and told him not to get into trouble. After 30 seconds of the game he got himself booked."

Gregory confirmed that he expects Bosnich to leave the club at the end of the season, even if Villa finish in the top two. Why? Gregory said nothing, just pulled out a roll of banknotes from his trouser pocket.

Gregory was asked had he thought of omitting Bosnich at Hillsborough: "No, we have been having some contract talks as you know and I told him this morning I'd like to TIE him up for 5 years". And, "I know what Bosnich has for breakfast: instant WHIP." He then added that the mystery third man on the Yorke home movie was his chairman, Doug Ellis.

Jesus christ, I just cannot get my head around the point of hiring gregory. A man who has done nothing for god knows how long, or you could argue ever. I'd rather have a manager from league one who has been around mid table for a few season. At least they would have knowledge of the league and its players.

What does Gregory bring to the table that is positive?

he has something to prove

Gregory criticised Ellis so much during his time at Villa, if he does that to Mandy he will be out. Also Gregory has a nature of blaming everyone for poor results including referees (on many occasions).

However; our previous managers left their previous clubs in better positions then when they started. Holloway and Allen were failures they were inexperienced at getting clubs out this league (apart from the more experienced guys in Megson & Worthington who have gone on to bigger and better things, could argue Megson left Forest in a worse state then when he started).

Having said that I still can't find any enthusiasm or/and delight at Gregory becoming our manager; he has never achieved anything in his managerial career. He left all the clubs he went to in a worse state then when he first started. He did ok at Villa when he started then after turning the fans onto Ellis, he wasted ££££ on flops.

I have to hand it to you, you very good at shit stirring.

I have to hand it to you, you very good at walking round with your eyes closed. I'm not sure though how you regard my passing on of my understanding of the progress of the manager search as "shit stirring". Perhaps I should respond that you can't stir shit unless there is shit there to be stirred.

You may want to ignore what is going on for as long as possible but there are other people who are concerned where all this may lead and who like to stay informed.

So will our new manager not be named in the next couple of days then?

It's really annoying now... basically at the point like most people I guess where I've accepted we're probably going to get someone crap, and just have to pray they come good for us. Can't think of anyone likely to come here that would seen as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69