The RIP Thread

My mother disliked him when he played, she thought he was a really sneaky individual, when she saw him on Saint and Greavesie her opinion changed. His great line which I still use, "He can trap it further than I can kick it."

My mother disliked him when he played, she thought he was a really sneaky individual, when she saw him on Saint and Greavesie her opinion changed. His great line which I still use, "He can trap it further than I can kick it."
This quote has been repurposed by a number of people, one of which was supposedly Gareth Williams on Elvis Hammond. It’s still not clear to me whose ability he was mocking.

Only Fools and Horses actor John Challis aged 79

If there was a chance of goal Jimmy Greaves was the most likely to score it - even more than Lineker or Dalglish He did nothing else. There were no "assists" - the concept did not exist when he was playing. If he was in a position to assist he would rather score.
Jimmy Greaves had quick feet, great control and a superb positional sense. He also had great courage - defenders in his day were brutal.
Once on TV Greaves criticised a defender. John Sillet admonished him "Jimmy you were the best goalscorer I have ever known but you know nothing about defending - you never did any/"
England entered the 1966 World Cup with two acknowledged world class players - Greaves and Charlton. (It was the world cup that would make the reputations of Banks and Moore) When Sir Alf picked Hurst rather than Greaves. everybody was amazed. It was a really brave decision and if England had lost the ;public would have blamed it on dropping Greaves,
I went to An Evening With Jimmy Greaves at The Little Theatre and it was a remarkably funny show.
RIP Jimmy

If there was a chance of goal Jimmy Greaves was the most likely to score it - even more than Lineker or Dalglish He did nothing else. There were no "assists" - the concept did not exist when he was playing. If he was in a position to assist he would rather score.
Jimmy Greaves had quick feet, great control and a superb positional sense. He also had great courage - defenders in his day were brutal.
Once on TV Greaves criticised a defender. John Sillet admonished him "Jimmy you were the best goalscorer I have ever known but you know nothing about defending - you never did any/"
England entered the 1966 World Cup with two acknowledged world class players - Greaves and Charlton. (It was the world cup that would make the reputations of Banks and Moore) When Sir Alf picked Hurst rather than Greaves. everybody was amazed. It was a really brave decision and if England had lost the ;public would have blamed it on dropping Greaves,
I went to An Evening With Jimmy Greaves at The Little Theatre and it was a remarkably funny show.
RIP Jimmy
Interesting thanks David.

Quick question though - Wasn't the reason Hurst played instead of Greaves initially due to an injury to Greaves? I thought I'd seen before that he was not fully fit and that Ramsey couldn't then change a winning team?

Interesting thanks David.

Quick question though - Wasn't the reason Hurst played instead of Greaves initially due to an injury to Greaves? I thought I'd seen before that he was not fully fit and that Ramsey couldn't then change a winning team?
I thought Jimmy was injured in the Group game against France.

Just fetched up a distant memory of Xmas when I was a nipper. Can’t remember my presents or Xmas dinner, just that Greavesie had scored four goals in the first half in a Christmas Day morning fixture against Portsmouth, winning 7-4. They played the reverse fixture on Boxing Day, this time Chelsea were well beaten. Never understood that, though as a five year old didn’t appreciate that the imbibing of alcohol might have had something to do with it.

Yeah...that too :-D

I have a fantasy that him, Branson & Bezos all crash their stupid ****ing toy spaceships into each other in orbit & spend their last moments feeling their lungs collapse in vacuum.

All billionaire cock waving contests should end that way.
Or a chainsaw battle royal

Imagine a cage full of oil bandits and scumbag wage thieves lopping each other’s heads off. Magical.

Or a chainsaw battle royal

Imagine a cage full of oil bandits and scumbag wage thieves lopping each other’s heads off. Magical.
I was interviewed in the street by Midlands Today at election time. 1992 I think. I suggested that elections should be decided by locking the party leaders in a room that was empty apart from a table. On the table was the key to the room, & a knife. Then turn the lights out for 2 minutes. Whoever comes out is Prime Minister for the next 4 years.

They didn't use the interview.

Bastards.

I was interviewed in the street by Midlands Today at election time. 1992 I think. I suggested that elections should be decided by locking the party leaders in a room that was empty apart from a table. On the table was the key to the room, & a knife. Then turn the lights out for 2 minutes. Whoever comes out is Prime Minister for the next 4 years.

They didn't use the interview.

Bastards.
Guaranteed way for Sturgeon to be in forever, that. No qualms about gutting poor Boris there.

I meant to post this earlier in the week but didn’t get round to it.

RIP Carlos Marin. One of the members of Il Divo. I was fortunate to see him perform and his voice will be greatly missed.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854