The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this about fifteen years ago. Really enjoyed it at the time.

I'm getting more out of books I read now and it's one of many I wish I was reading for the first time. There are so many books I have yet to read that I have never re-read a book.

I'm quite the opposite there, when I find a good book I read everything by that author and I love going back to them and just read parts that I love again. Which means I know some authors really well but haven't read others at all. I bought a lot of Shakespeare recently as I thought I had to read them when I live here in the UK. Will read them in Swedish though, too much of the pleasure would be lost if I had to worry about the language as well.

I'm quite the opposite there, when I find a good book I read everything by that author and I love going back to them and just read parts that I love again. Which means I know some authors really well but haven't read others at all. I bought a lot of Shakespeare recently as I thought I had to read them when I live here in the UK. Will read them in Swedish though, too much of the pleasure would be lost if I had to worry about the language as well.

Having said that the exception is Shakespeare. I went through a massive Shakespeare phase in my twenties. I have every play and loads of videos, tapes etc. I particularly love Hamlet and King Lear.

I just finished 'Great Expectations'. Absolutely brilliant.

I read 'Bleak House' some years ago and will definitely read more. I'm now reading Ian McEwan's 'Solar'.

Read this about fifteen years ago. Really enjoyed it at the time.

I've tried twice but can never finish it.

No. I picked this up mainly cos of the film which is about to be released on DVD. Bout 100 left of NW and I've really enjoyed it. Bought 'Things I talk...' which I know is autobiographical but the bits I read are brilliant. Any recommendation how which book next? Kafta?

Finished, a good 'un. A nice easy read.

On Anatomy of England now by Jonathan Wilson, have enjoyed it so far.

Just ordered two more Bill Bryson books for my holiday. The Lost Continent & Notes From A Big Country.

Bernard Cornwell - the fort
pretty good read actually, kind of like a maritime 'Sharpe' in the american war of independance.

Trying 'One Day' at the current mrs mk's recommend, good 80's references at the mo, but I can see it getting a bit relationshipy... :-(

Romeo and Juliet

The storyline didn't exactly come as a surprise, but it was nice to get some background and there is obviously more to this play than boy-meets-girl-and-they-both-die. I found it rather difficult to read, however, seeing as 16th century blank verse is not the standard way of communicating anymore. Perhaps Jeff should implement that in the rules on here.

I was surprised - which was down to poor research - of the incredible number of more or less subtle sexual references. Though many of the puns were obviously lost in translation.

The Merchant of Venice

Easier to read than R&J, it's straightforward and easy to follow, and I love that in old books because it makes me feel intelligent. It's a very pleasant read, although, ofc ourse, Shakespeare's works were intended to be performed on stage rather than being read, but the story is nice enough and it's got a lovely ending as well (for romantics like myself).

I found the portrait of Shylock, the Jewish character, very compelling too as I live in an area with a very large Jewish contingent. Interesting to see in what ways people have tried to play down this seemingly anti-semitic portrait later on - but the character is quite complex in itself, actually, so it's not all about political correctness. "Hath not a Jew eyes" etc.

Doing Hamlet next, I think.

Gotta be a new Jack Reacher novel out soon surely?

I've got 1 and a half Robert Crais books left. I've read everything by Michael Connolly and Harlen Coben so I'll soon be needing a new author to read. I mainly read American crime fiction. Any suggestions?

I've got 1 and a half Robert Crais books left. I've read everything by Michael Connolly and Harlen Coben so I'll soon be needing a new author to read. I mainly read American crime fiction. Any suggestions?

Jd robb in death series, really like these once you ignore the fact its meant to be set 50 years in the future

Azincourt, excellent book, and the French get their arses kicked to boot

Just started 'The Crew' by Dougie Brimson. Free Kindle download. A few name-checks for Leicester in the first few chapters but not the Baby Squad.

Finished 'The Slap'. Can see why first impressions could be negative.

The first two narrators are unpleasant but one of the fascinating things is how convincing the characterisation is and how everything seems different through different eyes. Genuinely three dimensional characters which I also really enjoyed.

Worth the praise it received.

Reading 'One Day' now.

Read an early Robert Ludlum book - The Cry of the Halidon. Or should I say I tried to read it. Biggest pile of dated shit I have seen in recent times. If I had started with that one I'd never have got round to his better novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669