The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished 'Snow Drops'. This was on the shortlist for the Booker last year and you can see why.

It paints an extremely unflattering picture of Russia and Moscow in particular.

Started Steinbeck's 'Of Mice and Men'.

Recently finished 11.22.63, a Stephen King novel about someone who is able to travel back in time to stop the JFK assassination. That description really makes it sound like a run of the mill time travel story but it is much more than that. 700odd pages but I couldn't put it down, and the JFK story isn't even the best bit of it. Recommended.

Recently finished 11.22.63, a Stephen King novel about someone who is able to travel back in time to stop the JFK assassination. That description really makes it sound like a run of the mill time travel story but it is much more than that. 700odd pages but I couldn't put it down, and the JFK story isn't even the best bit of it. Recommended.

Talking of historically couched fiction I'm starting reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I can't help wondering how much poetic licence has been used but my historical knowledge is non-existent.

I've finished the Outlaw set from Angus Donald which turned out to be a cracking Robin Hood based series with a more evil twist.

Has anybody on here read any of Jo Nesbo's books. Great stuff.

Read them all in Norwegian. How many of his books have been translated to English? Don't know the English titles so it's difficult to recommend any but hey, they are all quite good.

Don't know the English titles

Flaggermusmannen: The Bat
Kakerlakkene: The Cockroaches
Rødstrupe; The Redbreast
Sorgenfri; Nemesis
Marekors; The Devil's Star
Frelseren; The Redeemer
Snømannen;The Snowman
Panserhjerte;The Leopard
Gjenferd; Phantom
Doktor Proktors Prompepulver;Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder
Doktor Proktor og verdens undergang. Doctor Proctor and the Armageddon.
Stemmer fra Balkan; Figures in the Balkans
Det hvite hotellet; The White Hotel
Hodejegerne; The Headhunters.

(all according to wiki)

Flaggermusmannen: The Bat
Kakerlakkene: The Cockroaches
Rødstrupe; The Redbreast
Sorgenfri; Nemesis
Marekors; The Devil's Star
Frelseren; The Redeemer
Snømannen;The Snowman
Panserhjerte;The Leopard
Gjenferd; Phantom
Doktor Proktors Prompepulver;Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder
Doktor Proktor og verdens undergang. Doctor Proctor and the Armageddon.
Stemmer fra Balkan; Figures in the Balkans
Det hvite hotellet; The White Hotel
Hodejegerne; The Headhunters.

(all according to wiki)

Thanks Boc! Didn't realize that his children's books (Dr. proctor) had been translated. My favourites are The Leopard, The Snowman and The Redbreast. They all have Harry Hole (is that his name when translated?) as the main character. The headhunters is a quite funny none-HarryHole novel and has been turned into a quite successful Norwegian movie. The Snowman is supposed to become a Hollywood movie with Martin Scorsese as director.

Has anyone read Stieg Larsson or Mark Billingham either?

Jo Nesbo is exceptional, I'll look forward to The Snowman film if it's being directed by Scorsese.

Has anyone read Stieg Larsson or Mark Billingham either?Jo Nesbo is exceptional, I'll look forward to The Snowman film if it's being directed by Scorsese.
Stig Larsson, RIP, was great. Haven't read Billingham yet.

What about George Pelecanos, he wrote some of The Wire but has written several other books?

I've just bought The Turnaround by him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570