The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just starting McMafia by Misha Glenny

The new Bond book. Enjoyed it, but it was clearly written according to various Bond stereotypes.

The new Bond book. Enjoyed it, but it was clearly written according to various Bond stereotypes.

Id agree with this. I enjoyed it though. Made me want to go back and read more of the old ones.

The Tent, the bucket and me
a great read if you were part of the 1970's french campsite brigade, or just part of the 70's...
Ignore the dawn french quote on the front, in fact, do what i did and put the 3 for 2 waterstones sticker over that bit. Why would someone buy a book because some fat, unfunny arse has 2 words quoted on the cover?

anyway...
9/10

I will be taking 'Mutiny on the bounty' with me to Spain, will report on my return.

Just started Dark Matter By Greg Iles on a recommendation from the Father-in-law. Quite good so far but difficult to read as the main character is called David Tennant so I can’t stop picturing Doctor Who when ever I read it.

I've always had this notion of taking that to read on the beach of Pitcairn Island.

I was thinking of saving it and reading it on one of the Honduran Islands next year, just to add to the atmosphere of the read, I think I will wait and take the Hector Lynch trilogy with me instead.

'The Great Gatsby' - read it, it's just superb....Also just re-read 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas' which is great fun - although I still feel 'Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail' is better - but if you like Gonzo Journalism (drugs, basically...) then definitely read....A break from my Murakami marathon anyways. If I haven't mentioned previously, then I heartily recommend the Japanese writer Haruki Murakami - his writing is incredible in my opion...Start with 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle'...mental.

round ireland with a fridge is just that! i journey hitch-hiking round ireland with a little fridge its pretty funny.

being made into a film with tony hawks playing himself

I'm reading 'The Brass Verdict' by Michael Connelly at the minute. It's one of those books that I can't put down but at the same time don't want to read it too quickly because I want it to last.

Reading a lot on the trains nowadays, the past three weeks I've read:
"Strikingly Different" about Lineker (a bit pointless really if you saw him in his prime as it's basically a summary of what he's done with very few quotes by Gary himself)
"Addicted", Tony Adams (obviously a lot of Arsenal but the bits about his alcohol problems I thought were very, very interesting)
"Football against the enemy", Simon Kuper (excellent book).

All books more than 10 years old, yes, I had some catching up to do.:)

Last edited:
Just read "The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw, The Robin Friday Story", good book read it from York to Leicester on the train...almost didn't get off the train ! Has anyone read "The Far Corner" by Harry Pearson ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669