Things that piss you off

Status
Not open for further replies.
The railways are inarguably better since they were privatised. It has taken privatisation to get rid of a lot of the archaic practices and lack of investment that have plagued the railway industry for the past 50 years or more. There are more people travelling by rail today than there has ever been.

Are you suggesting that Gordon Brown is not investing in the railways? I am sure that he will be surprised to hear it. I think he should immediatley set up an enquiry to fid out where all the money has gone that he puts in the box marked 'RAILWAY SUBSIDIES'.

And if you knew anything at all about what you are talking about you would know that One is performing better than the two-and-a-half companies it replaced, and would not be worrying so much about Central which is in the last six months of its existence.

Fine but they are running much fewer trains than they used to. ;)

:confused: when was there a nationalised bus service?

From 1969 to about 1986 - look at the 1968 Transport Act under which the National Bus Company was set up.

From 1969 to about 1986 - look at the 1968 Transport Act under which the National Bus Company was set up.

Bus Services deregulated in October 1986 outside of London. I did my dissertation on something along these lines so know how the exciting bus system works! :icon_roll

oh, ok.

I'm confused now because I can always remember different bus companies.
When I was a kid there was Midland Red and Corporation buses in Leicester and others that I don't remember the name of.

Bus Services deregulated in October 1986 outside of London. I did my dissertation on something along these lines so know how the exciting bus system works! :icon_roll

Deregulation and the break-up of the National Bus Company was not the same thing, although it happened at about the same time.

Fine but they are running much fewer trains than they used to. ;)

Depends how you want to define the parameters. Many routes have many more services than they ever used to.

How many train services do you want?
How much are you prepared to pay for them?
How high do you want subsidies to be?
How much are you prepared to see you tax bill go up?

oh, ok.

I'm confused now because I can always remember different bus companies.
When I was a kid there was Midland Red and Corporation buses in Leicester and others that I don't remember the name of.

I believe they were owned by the Local Governments possibly, well it was them who dictated how iservices were to be run pre-1985/6 so I presume they owned their services.

*waits for Boc to post the right answer!*

I believe they were owned by the Local Governments possibly, well it was them who dictated how iservices were to be run pre-1985/6 so I presume they owned their services.

*waits for Boc to post the right answer!*

The Corporation buses were just that - owned and run by the Corporation of the City of Leicester. Midland Red buses were owned by the Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company whose main offices were in Digbeth. Never having lived in Leicester I haven't a clue about other companies in the area in thise days.

The Corporation buses were just that - owned and run by the Corporation of the City of Leicester. Midland Red buses were owned by the Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company whose main offices were in Digbeth. Never having lived in Leicester I haven't a clue about other companies in the area in thise days.

Weren't they just divisions of the NBC though? There were over 90 divisions of the NBC when it was sold.

It's has pretty much Nationalised itself again in a way, outside of London, 3 bus operators account for around 75% of bus journeys (figure of the top of my head so may be wrong), Arriva, First and Stagecoach, although mainly just Arriva and First in Leicester.

Last edited:
Never having lived in Leicester I haven't a clue about other companies in the area in those days.

There were a few small local bus companies, ones I know of were Astill and Jordan, who ran buses from Ratby to Leicester, via Glenfield, and they also ran buses to Filbert St on matchdays. Hylton and Dawson ran buses from Glenfield to Leicester, and the two companies merged in the eighties. I think they just do coach hire these days though.

It's has pretty much Nationalised itself again in a way, outside of London, 3 bus operators account for around 75% of bus journeys (figure of the top of my head so may be wrong), Arriva, First and Stagecoach, although mainly just Arriva and First in Leicester.

But they are private companies.

There were a few small local bus companies, ones I know of were Astill and Jordan, who ran buses from Ratby to Leicester, via Glenfield, and they also ran buses to Filbert St on matchdays. Hylton and Dawson ran buses from Glenfield to Leicester, and the two companies merged in the eighties. I think they just do coach hire these days though.

On the ball Jeff, that's who I was trying to remember.

I really don't understand though, if an industry is nationalised it is taken out of private ownership so why all these separate private companies running buses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  614
2Liverpool512
3Brighton612
4Arsenal612
5Aston Villa512
6Newcastle611
7Chelsea610
8Nottm F610
9Fulham69