Things that piss you off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claytons Coaches,always used to get them on School Trips.Right old clapped out Coaches they were.

On the ball Jeff, that's who I was trying to remember.

I really don't understand though, if an industry is nationalised it is taken out of private ownership so why all these separate private companies running buses?

It was Nationalised and under the control of local governments pre 1985/6. The Transport Act 1985 brought about the privatisation of the bus service industry, and that is how it remains now.

It was Nationalised and under the control of local governments pre 1985/6. The Transport Act 1985 brought about the privatisation of the bus service industry, and that is how it remains now.

So why all the separate private companies pre-1985?

:icon_lol: So does 'in a way' really mean 'nothing like'?

No it means in a way.

The bus services were privatised to offer an improved service to the customer by having competition existing, however over the years, all these small bus companies have either merged or been acquired by the 'bigger fish' until it is now pretty much being run by just 3 companies. The complete opposite to the purpose of what privatising the industry was supposed to do.

So in a way, it is a Nationalised service as there are only 3 bus service operators that account for the vast majority bus patronage in England.

So why all the separate private companies pre-1985?

As I said earlier, I suspect that these were just divisions of the NBC. Each local authority was responsible for arranging the bus services so maybe this was why there were different companies.

When the NBC was sold to private companies, there were over 90 divisions of the NBC, so those divisions could be the different companies you refer to.

So in a way, it is a Nationalised service as there are only 3 bus service operators that account for the vast majority bus patronage in England.

But that has nothing to do with nationalisation.

Nationalisation is state control & ownership.

Nationalisation is state control & ownership.

Yes I know, but the point is that there are pretty much just 3 companies offering services, when it was planned to have many companies.

It is pretty much the same as a Nationalised service apart from the fact that the profits are now going into the pockets of CEOs etc instead of being put back into the bus services and/or the local area.

Last edited:
Weren't they just divisions of the NBC though? There were over 90 divisions of the NBC when it was sold.

The National Bus Company (NBC) didn't come about until 1969. Midland Red (BMMO) had been around since the early years of the century so had over 60 years of life in private hands before becoming part of the NBC.

The Corporation buses were never part of the NBA, as far as I know.

It's has pretty much Nationalised itself again in a way, outside of London, 3 bus operators account for around 75% of bus journeys (figure of the top of my head so may be wrong), Arriva, First and Stagecoach, although mainly just Arriva and First in Leicester.

Not nationalised - that would mean that they were being run by the state. But yes, a few companies are now resposible for various fleets all over the country. And it's not only the buses - most of the railways are run by these same companies. You shouldn't worry about Stagecoach not having any buses in Leicester; they will soon be running 100% of the trains that call at London Road.

Foxestalk

I have just been over there in boredom/TBFC and Holiday excitment. I now feel dirty - it's got worse. If there is a sign of the nation dumbing down, that's it.

Last edited:
Aren't Arriva taking over some of the Central Trains services that go through Leicester?

Well they pretty much run public transport throughout Europe so they may as well take over Leicester train servcies!!!

It is pretty much the same as a Nationalised service apart from the fact that the profits are now going into the pockets of CEOs etc instead of being put back into the bus services and/or the local area.

Pretty much the same? That seems to me to make it totally different.

It was Nationalised in 1969 and under the control of national government. That's what Nationalised means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  614
2Arsenal614
3Chelsea613
4Liverpool512
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69