Treatment of Norwich fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzzysgal

After the events of the fights a few hours before, you can't blame the coppers for being extra careful and not tolerating anything.

I never once had any police involvement on Saturday, you only get into trouble with them if you are looking for it. Have no sympathy for someone getting pushed over if he started to get a bit arsey with them. And Notts, can't blame the coppers for that incident either because as you said, your mate started singing a football song, which could quite easily be seen as trying to intimidate the home fans or whatever, potentially leading to some bother.

So I don't buy all this bollocks about the coppers being thugs and picking on innocent fans.
Totally agree with you. It's an argument I had frequently over the course of many years both about the police in this country and also abroad.

I may not go to every away match, but I think I've been to enough to form an opinion on this subject.

Billyjof

After the events of the fights a few hours before, you can't blame the coppers for being extra careful and not tolerating anything.

I never once had any police involvement on Saturday, you only get into trouble with them if you are looking for it. Have no sympathy for someone getting pushed over if he started to get a bit arsey with them. And Notts, can't blame the coppers for that incident either because as you said, your mate started singing a football song, which could quite easily be seen as trying to intimidate the home fans or whatever, potentially leading to some bother.

So I don't buy all this bollocks about the coppers being thugs and picking on innocent fans.

Not wanting to sound like a bore, but maybe this might enlighten you.

I think I said it fairly in my post before that I had sympathy with the coppers having to deal with rowdy (racist) pricks on the buses. I got off my bus at Nuneaton station with a cordon of police in riot gear with barking alsation dogs. When I tried to "break the police line" and get to another platform I was led by the arm and told to "Keep fcuknig moving" I tried to explain I needed to get to another platform and was told to "keep moving".

On the footbridge I tried to explain to another group of riot police, who weren't even from the Midlands. their response was that in order to get where I wanted to go I had to go where they wanted me to go. The idiots had no idea which trains left from which platform and didn't care. I hadn't been abusive but they didn't give a shit. That’s when I got angry and they threatened me. In the end a copper with a brain stepped in and led me to the other platform. Completely unnecessary from the ten or more thugs who didn’t give a shit. Lucky there was one copper on my side as I felt they were trying influence my behaviour so they could take action against me. Hopefully just an iscolated incident but I'm guessing not.

Probably this is cos I was on the football special bus/train which I have never taken before. But I've never seen such heavy handed policing first hand and I've been going to away games for years.

Oh well shit happens. :icon_roll

spionfox

That’s when I got angry and they threatened me. In the end a copper with a brain stepped in and led me to the other platform. Completely unnecessary from the ten or more thugs who didn’t give a shit. Lucky there was one copper on my side as I felt they were trying influence my behaviour so they could take action against me. Hopefully just an iscolated incident but I'm guessing not.

I witnessed something very similar at Blackpool a couple of weeks ago. Took the intervention of a sergeant to placate a few of our lot who had been 'wound up' by some of his constables.

Lako42

But the police are whiter than white.

fitz

our plans for the day had been slightly changed by the boys in blue who decided a good 3 and a bit hours before kick off we would have to be frog marched to a pub in nuneaton by police in riot gear. a little bit to add day to an all round shitty away day experience

Leesoh

I never once had any police involvement on Saturday, you only get into trouble with them if you are looking for it.
Rubbish. My dad was attacked by a copper for no apparent reason whilst we were walking down Burnmoor Street. The number of times I've been forced to take the wrong train after a game by the police, held in a cordon, or frogmarched somewhere I don't want to go are too many to mention. I could understand if I looked like a thug, but as a lone female supporter (at the time :icon_redf) I would have thought that common sense would have prevailed, instead of treating me like a thug.

Lucky there was one copper on my side as I felt they were trying influence my behaviour so they could take action against me. Hopefully just an iscolated incident but I'm guessing not.
No, it's not. If a copper ever starts to accuse you of foul language, shouting, or just being abusive when you are not, they are working up to a section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 arrest. If you see it coming, and you tell them that they can't do you for a section 5, they tend to back off because they don't expect anyone to know anything about the law. Especially if there are witnesses, which with the football there usually is.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
Like you, City Fan, I have never been in trouble with, or had any bother from the police at a football match in the last 30 years of going, neither home or away.

I did previously put this down to my good behaviour, and that of my family and friends, who have also never been in trouble with the police. Obviously it now appears I'm wrong, I must just be very lucky.

Last edited:

City Fan

You should try going to a few more away matches before making a statement like that.

It applies to every day life.

Hazzman

I could understand if I looked like a thug, but as a lone female supporter (at the time :icon_redf) I would have thought that common sense would have prevailed, instead of treating me like a thug.

'Ben', the person affected here was wearing a City shirt and hardly had the look of thug about him. Commonsense could prevail at times, I seen grow blokes told they couldn't cross the road and walk up the hill (despite many doing it - one copper took offence and got hold of 2), they had to go down the underpass, completely away from their cars.

City Fan

The thing is, the coppers aint got time to think "he looks like a thug" or "she doesn't" or whatever, and can't let some people do something and not others otherwise that would cause chaos.

Boy Genius

Banned
The thing is, the coppers aint got time to think "he looks like a thug" or "she doesn't" or whatever, and can't let some people do something and not others otherwise that would cause chaos.

Not very well trained then are they?

Macky

Gruntled Member

They're thugs in uniforms and they love it.
They get exactly the same buzz from football aggro as does everybody else that's involved in it, end of story.

MHS

That documentary about Leicestershire police on the BBC the other year shows what scum some of them really are.

Boy Genius

Banned
That documentary about Leicestershire police on the BBC the other year shows what scum some of them really are.

the kop years ago used to sing a song about coppers... not heard that tune for years.

Ah those were the days....

Last edited:

fox58

They're thugs in uniforms and they love it.
They get exactly the same buzz from football aggro as does everybody else that's involved in it, end of story.

spot on:038:

regardless of what had gone on before the game the police should not treat all fans as thugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669